It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

muslim women to remove their veils

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I have been known to bash islam on this board.
I don't agree with their religion and what it seems
to stand for.I do have to draw a line when it comes
to countries trying to force muslim women into removing
their veils.

news.yahoo.com...
I know people should try and live by the laws of the country
where they live.You can't force people to choose between
church and country.It will only cause bitterness and possible
bloodshed.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

I for one totally support the ban.

Ever get a good look at an Arab woman? They are freaking gorgeous.

Maybe it will knock down the barriers for inter-cultural dating.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
This is an awkward one.

On one side, I can understand any nation that would want this, simply for security purposes. There have actually been a spate of robberies in the UK by a man dressed in a full Burka. There is no way to identify the women wearing these veils (I have no idea how they manage airports etc).

On the other hand, I believe that people have the right to follow their religion however they chose, as long as it is legal and doesn't hurt anyone. Although, to be fair, the Qur'an doesn't actually state anywhere that women must cover their faces, only that they should dress conservatively. The wearing of the veil is not a religious act, but a societal one. Unfortunately, many of these women are not taught this and are told that it is in accordance with their religion.

Many Muslims have never read the Qur'an, they go totally on what they are told by their Imam. I have met some who totally believe that you actually cannot buy a copy and that they are only available to Imams
They believed this even after I showed them my copy that I bought from Waterstones, fully translated into English.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by nik1halo]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
And your religion is so great? Talking about people going to hell that are not virgins before their wedding, or gays going to hell for eternity. I think Christianity should be banned. Muslim religion as well. Let them keep their hood on if it makes them happy. Just because they do not fit into your "comfort" zone you should not bash them. Ever actually talked to a Muslim person who wore those veils? I sure have. They have never been any more courteous to me. I am not saying all Muslims are nice (a lot are rude and want to push their religions on you) but you cannot rule out all Muslims. let them wear their veils.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Atlantican

I for one totally support the ban.

Ever get a good look at an Arab woman? They are freaking gorgeous.

Maybe it will knock down the barriers for inter-cultural dating.

Maybe that is why their religion makes them wear those
veils.They may not want inter-cultural marriages.
I disagree with the ban.I believe these women will
be placed in danger if they comply with the laws of a
country over the laws of islam.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
If the muslim women want to wear a headscarf that just fine, but nobody should be allowed to walk around with their face totally covered and just looking out through a small slit. It is not safe for the rest of society.

It is a universal rule for everyone so there is no discrimination. As far as them practicing their religion, if they want to strictly adhere to that then they need to stay in countries where that is acceptable. It is not acceptable in any western free society that I know of.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
And your religion is so great? Talking about people going to hell that are not virgins before their wedding, or gays going to hell for eternity. I think Christianity should be banned.

Difference is that except for some stupids nobody in the modern world gives a # about christianity and no modern country enforces religon. Islam countries do it, they take the fairy tales as law and oppress people

In modern countries one can say that god doesn't exist, in modern country one can draw a caricature of jesus, in modern countries you can have a gay relationship. All is possible, nothing will happen. In islam countries do it and you either get whipped and spent the rest of your life in jail or you'll get stoned to death.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I think the women who choose to wear the veils were conditioned to wear a veil, and because of the ban, will one day walk out of their homes without those veils, and desire to never wear one again.

They will be glad the burqa was banned.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by poet1b]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

This might be, yes - but consider the fact that the husbands/fathers/brothers of these women, if extreme enough in their beliefs, could imprison them for life, rather then allowing them to be seen by other men.

It has happened before - some muslim men would rather keep their wife a prisoner for life then allowing her to walk around without a veil.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
And your religion is so great? Talking about people going to hell that are not virgins before their wedding, or gays going to hell for eternity. I think Christianity should be banned. Muslim religion as well. Let them keep their hood on if it makes them happy. Just because they do not fit into your "comfort" zone you should not bash them. Ever actually talked to a Muslim person who wore those veils? I sure have. They have never been any more courteous to me. I am not saying all Muslims are nice (a lot are rude and want to push their religions on you) but you cannot rule out all Muslims. let them wear their veils.

What a strange person you are! Why the attack? This is not a personal or religious thing, it is a matter of security - if that is what they put it over as. As a security measure it is right. As a measure to force westernised ideals on to these women it is wrong.

There has to be a balance, and there has to be protection against the types of raid that have been carried out. If someone goes into a bank with a motorcycle helmet on, they have to remove it. The same should apply to the veil - as a matter of security. That is not to say however that blanket ban on the veil in all public places is right, as that patently is not.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
The whole burka thing might be alright, except from a security standpoint, IF...

The muslim men had to wear them too!

It is entirely sexist and does not belong nor should it be tolerated on Earth today.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

Losing your virginity before marriage is a sin.
Being homosexual is also a sin.Both can be
forgiven of these and other sins.Jesus paid
our sin debt!
Back on topic...I am supporting these women
into keeping their veils on.If they choose to
stop wearing them,I would support them there
as well.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Personally i feel that the burka is a slap in the face to western women. It is not compatible with western beliefs and so causes friction.
Though i am torn on this, on the one hand i do not wish to interfear with someone elses right to choose what they wear, But, knowing that many of those women may not choose to wear the burka, i feel the need to voice an opinion about it.

Islam, like many religions are outdated and need to be shelved. Humans have progresed far beyond the point to NEED faith in the beyond. Religion restricts logic and only serves to lobotomize all followers to point were they are blind with faith and careless with trust. These women are told they are getting a good deal and what are they really getting?
No education, no independence, no equal status in gender so thier opinions, intelligence and any abilities are disregarded and laughed at.
The strange thing is that they could have the same lifestyle without the need of a religion.

My 2cents.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
I have been known to bash islam on this board.
I don't agree with their religion and what it seems
to stand for.I do have to draw a line when it comes
to countries trying to force muslim women into removing
their veils.

news.yahoo.com...
I know people should try and live by the laws of the country
where they live.You can't force people to choose between
church and country.It will only cause bitterness and possible
bloodshed.

At last, a ban on the demeaning of women. Men who are so afraid to look at a woman need to cover them up in cloth head to tail and tell them it's good for them. Men who have no fear of women have no problem with women being and looking like women.

The line gets drawn when men have to subjugate and humiliate women to feel like men. In the US they simply have unprotected sex with them, get them pregnant, and verbally and physicality abuse them to feel like a real man, instead of putting a bag over their face. Where in truth real men love and respect women as women.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

Your post is an excellent example of why this
world is going down the tubes!
Nobody in this modern world blah blah blah...

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by expat2368

What a load of bull#. Safer
That is the most ridiculous, weak and pathetic argument of all in relation to this. You actually think you are safer because you can see someone's face do you? Right
The 'security' argument is such a pile of crap - the ONLY time it makes sense is when the woman needs to show photo ID.

Yes it is sexist and not good for 2010, but forcing the women not to wear them is just as bad as forcing them to wear them. I love the way people claim that they shouldn't wear them because its sexist and demeaning or whatever, and try to force them not to wear them - these are people wearing them, remember, not toys to fight over. They have a right to choose for themselves, not be forced one way or another.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Ubasti

I totally agree with your post.I believe these women
are in danger of losing their lives if they remove their
veils.
I remember a news story,a short time ago,where a
teenage, muslim girl was buried alive for having a cell
phone!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Yes, I am glad you see the possible bad side of the issue. There was a case (I think it was in Europe) that a woman was fined because she refused to take her veil off. Now she is imprisoned in her own home because her husband is afraid of getting another fine and will not under any circumstances let her leave the house.

Some muslims will definitely go as far as killing their female family members for even showing their face to a single stranger, let alone an entire population outside the home.

That girl you were talking about - she was killed by her family (buried alive) because they thought she talked to a boy on the cellphone.

Now, that is a different culture and it might be a bit hard to accept or understand, but culutral differences can not be abolished - it leads to an uniform world and that is definitely not something you would want. Worst of all, this is motivated by fear. Anything that is motivated by fear is hardly good.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by expat2368

If you become too preoccupied on what someone is
wearing,you may not see what they are doing.I do
agree with you that often times their burkas are used
to hide weapons and bomb belts.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I think a member couldn't have said it better somewhere in another thread, Burqa's are not mandated in the quran. Its more traditional and it not listed in the religious text. Quran points that certain body parts be covered, but not burqa's.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join