It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So Germany has banned naked short selling

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
That'll be interesting.

I can live without naked shorts. If they start going after more traditional types of shorting, I might have to find myself a new line of work. Not my idea of chuckles and hijinks at this point.

It's kind of disconcerting when you realize something good for humanity might be bad for you personally. Or not really. Never underestimate the human ability to spin, double-think, and indulge in raw denial. Intelligence or lack thereof has no bearing whatsoever on the matter.

We can make room in our carnivorous ape skulls for the most bizzare moral contradictions imaginable.

So anyway, if I understand this correctly its "the right thing to do." As usual, its a decade late and a couple dozen trillion dollars short. Talk about locking the aegean stable barn-door after Hercules threw down the broom in disgust.

Where do you think this new euro-regulatory muscle flex will take the planet, assuming its not a fizzle in the pan? If there is one thing Europe is good at its regulation. I still wake up in a cold sweat thinking about the Sweedish financial nationalization binge of '93. Then again, I am compelled to admit it worked out well for them (and possibly almost everyone else) in the long run.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

The Eu really needs to consolidate their position and stop the attacks on the periphery nations like Greece.

The biggest issue for me is if there is any fear that the EU will take a harder broader line with other banking areas.

Rightly or wrongly, I wonder if that type of fear exists it might push more companies/corporates into undermining the Euro rather than supporting it.

(But then again I really am out of my depth here,
so hope this response was not to jumbled and muddled)

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
An end to naked shorting is a good thing, but like the OP said, at least 4yrs if not a decade late. I can't support a ban or big change from regular (as in find actual shares to borrow) shorting. It fulfills several legitimate market functions.

I still don't think I've seen the entire details of the new German regulations, but so far I like what I hear. Right now it looks like Germany is willing to do what no other sovereign to date has done.

la2

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
OK, i think the OP was rather stange and missed the point totally.

Germany has banned naked short selling, but what is important is what this effects, it mainly happens with national bonds, or the national debt germany has bought off other countries.

Now they cant make a profit off it, they just wont buy debt from anyone, this will lead to countries getting further into trouble.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Naked Short Selling can be disastrous.

www.rollingstone.com...=%5b3351,11470%5d

Here's a frightening read about the markets, naked short selling, the Madoff Exemption and the corruption that runs throughout.

www.deepcapture.com...

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Thanks..the DeepCapture site especially was a great resource.

new topics

top topics

join