It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Short Selling Restrictions "A Great Indicator of Imminent Market Crashes"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Short Selling Restrictions "A Great Indicator of Imminent Market Crashes"

globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com

"All these short sale restrictions are going to do is create a vacuum. Once the shorts are driven out these shares will plunge. And who wants to buy a bond or provide capital knowing or even thinking share prices were artificially inflated."

Now this is the analysis of Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac. This what Germany did the other day "Germany banned on Tuesday naked short selling of euro zone government bonds, some stocks and naked selling of credit protection backed by sovereign debt"

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.reuters.com

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I know there is a lot smarter people here who can help me with this, I truely do not comphrend this kinda of jargon very well...but it is amazing how europe is falling the same path.. "Germany banned on Tuesday naked short selling of euro zone government bonds, some stocks and naked selling of credit protection backed by sovereign debt."
now back in july 2008 the SEC did the same thing by "Flashback Wednesday, July 16, 2008: SEC Restricts Shorting 19 Financial Stocks".... time to sit and watch the debacle..

"Naked short selling involves selling a financial instrument without first borrowing it or ensuring it can be borrowed.

"The German announcement came out of the blue, without warning, and there is major uncertainty about what this means, whether others will follow and how they will maintain this," said Stuart Bennett, currency strategist at Credit Agricole"

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Well it's fact that the elite wants the economy to collapse.

But it's also a fact that they don't want the Euro to fail since it's pushes their globalist agenda.

So I think this is just freddie mac crying because they can make billions on the misery of others anymore with no credit to back it up.

No naked shorting also means, only the big boys with enough money in cash can do the shorting with enough power to have influence.

Another thing that is interesting is that Germany didn't ban naked short selling on PRECIOUS METALS.

If they wanted to do this alright, they could have just banned all speculation, FOREVER.

Screw the traders. They've caused enough damage as it is. Go find another job that won't destroy countries and starve people in the third world because you're speculating on the price of food or oil.

The market should only be demand/supply. Nothing else. No futures, no shorting.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I just started a thread about this in the meltdown section, but it doesn't have any responses yet. I'd like to see what the ATS financial brain trust has to say about it.

My take, in a nutshell: Naked shorts undermine market transparency and confidence in the long run...even if they can make people more cash than they know what to do with if they are in the right place at the right time. But in the final analysis, naked shorting is just ridiculous. It's about half a click removed from a bunch of guys sitting in a room and saying, "let's just all agree we are billionares and that will be that."

More orthodox forms of short selling also have enormous destructive capability depending on where you are standing at a given moment, but I believe they are and can be a legitimate part of a healthy market. I don't think this is going to change too much if it stops with naked shorts. There are dozens of equally egregious hijinks going on every trading day that will not be effected in the slightest by this move. The big dawgs will yawn and pull another ace from their sleeves. Naked shorts are soooo 2006 anyway. Yesterday's news.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I feel that a great crash is coming, but in what direction? being an american i felt that WE will start the crash, but it started in Greece and now cascading towards everyone... read this from the German Chancellor "That is our historic task; if the euro fails, then Europe fails," she told the lower house of parliament. "The euro is in danger - if we do not avert this danger, then the consequences for Europe are incalculable, and then the consequences beyond Europe are incalculable" these are interesting times we are witnessing

apnews.myway.com...

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Naked shorts are one thing. If they did like the American exchanges did some time ago and ban shorting or selling of 200 or so stocks that's another deal in itself. Just seems like more sand paper strips on the play ground slide.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Any day now, I expect them to ban put option purchases, by individuals, of course. More financial fascism.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by maddogron
I feel that a great crash is coming, but in what direction? being an american i felt that WE will start the crash, but it started in Greece and now cascading towards everyone...

I think your domino collapse idea is the one that will take place.
the world's economies are too closely linked to avoid it.

It may have already begun.

new topics

top topics

join