It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a question. What will happen when the oilspill is hit with a hurricane?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Just wondering. I welcome any input or speculation on this. It seems that the hurricane season begins on June 1st.

That is pretty close. What I am looking for here is any thoughts on whether the spill could spread or would the tides produced cause it to be pushed onshore. Personally I feel that this could become the "mother of all messes" right up there with Katrina.

Is this thinking just alarmism? Is the situation under some kind of control? Can the spill be controlled in some way?

What happens when Mr oil spill meets Mr/Mrs hurricane? Any problems here?

[edit on 19-5-2010 by chorizo4]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
We will know in June when hurricane season starts!! Skys look clear so far

NHC

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
It will be bad. Mississippi and Louisiana will have oil everywhere. what few people who moved back into the coastal cities will have to leave again, and this time they won't be able to come back, because nobody will have any money for the cleanup, and the red tape will be atrocious.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Good question. I wonder if the oil will make the hurricanes stronger this season because the waters would retain more of the sun's radiant heat. Hurricanes feed of the warm air.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by TamtammyMacx]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
-Oil gets sucked up into the hurricane.

-It gets lit by lightning.

-It turns into "HELLICANE".

-The hurricane is effectively supercharged, since it is on fire.

-The winds reach 1000mph.

-It turns North America into a glass parking lot.

LOL.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Good question! And it looks like you are not the
only one wondering about this. See the article below:

newsfeed.time.com...

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I've been told that it will most certainly bring the oil/gas far into the wetlands, causing enormous problems for life there. You also have to look at the fact that it could contaminate water supplies for local residents as well as force them out of their homes until the contamination of the land can be gotten under control.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by chorizo4

the oil will move and be affected by the hurricane, affecting areas in which the hurricane resides or passes by, any other questions that you could answer yourself?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

NOAA talking points list a number of open questions, such as whether the oil plume could affect storm formation by suppressing evaporation of Gulf water and how a hurricane could change the size and location of the oil slick. There's little information about what would happen if a hurricane hit the spill, experts said.

Still, several scientists are worried that a hurricane could drive oil inland, soiling beaches and wetlands and pushing polluted water up river estuaries.

"My 'oh, no' thought is that a hurricane would pick up that oil and move it, along with salt, up into interior regions of the state that I am convinced the oil will not reach otherwise," said Robert Twilley, an oceanographer at Louisiana State University.

"The bottom line is, how much oil are we going to get into our wetlands? We don't know," he said. "This thing is gushing out in these huge numbers."

More from Article

new topics

top topics

join