It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MISS USA DEBACLE

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
First, I read this:

news.yahoo.com...

Instead, the highest decibels have been reserved for her Muslim Arab background (though the contestant herself has spoken little about religious matters, stressing that her family observes both Muslim and Christian holidays).

Daniel Pipes, who publishes a right-leaning blog on Middle Eastern affairs, pointed to a "surprising frequency of Muslims winning beauty pageants." While allowing that "they are all attractive" — Pipes, a former board member of the U.S. Institute for Peace, posted pictures of several — he said that their victories "make me suspect an odd form of affirmative action."

Pipes didn't theorize how shadowy beauty-pageant fixers might be greasing the skids for contestants — but other political bloggers were happy to advance more heated pronouncements.
"Miss Hezbollah is now Miss USA," declared conservative radio talk show host Debbie Schlussel, saying that Fakih's relatives in Lebanon had ties to the terrorist organization based there.

Schlussel also said Fakih received some financial backing from onetime Hezbollah supporter Imad Hamad — or, as Schlussel put it, Fakih's "bid for the pageant was financed by an Islamic terrorist." Suggesting the pageant was "rigged," Schlussel wrote off Fakih's victory to a "politically correct, Islamo-pandering climate."

So I went over to said Debbie Schlussel's website (first time I'd ever heard or been there FYI, and DEFINITELY the last) and following that I was engaged in a mad online comments fight with idiots.

Tons and tons of idiots.

Debbie Schlussel being one of them too.

www.debbieschlussel.com... s-great-arizona-immigration-answer

Anyway..........

I'm all tuckered out for the day, so I'll post my opinions on this later.

What does everyone else think about this hoo-hah?

I think it's utter bullshyt that people would generalize Muslims like that.

Okay, more on that from me later.

Post away, please!!

Peace,
Karl

P.S. I posted this here cos I thought it COULD be a conspiracy theory, like a politically-correct attempt by Trump to make people happy. But personally, I don't think so. (she IS stunning.) Plus it IS about political issues. Somewhat.

If anyone knows where to better post this, well, help me out. Thanks!

[edit on 19-5-2010 by KarlG]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Sounds like more muslim bashing to me. Why can't some people just admit that they are human too? Seems to me we went through the same kind of prejudice with black people not so long ago. As a species we can be so incredibly stupid.
Gonna check the link just to see the "miss hezbollah" comments for myself.
What difference does it make what your cousins or uncles do anyway? If we hung everyone that had a criminal in their family their would be no one left to trip the gallows.

Poor girl has to read assinine comments like those. My sympathies to her. Oh, and BTW, she is truly a beautiful woman.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by Asktheanimals]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
It will be interesting to see as time passes if the rigors of Islam can withstand the seductive draw of western ways. Especially in the US.

An almost naked arab woman...muslim...whatever...as Miss USA has got to be the work of the CIA.
Good work boys

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I wouldn't worry about "terrorist ties." I don't think extremists would look too kindly on a Champoin Pole Dancer. BTW, did I mention she is freaking HOT!
Gotta check out the bikini pics. Whoa.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Now I know why the Muslim men want the women to wear burkas! They don't want the rest of the world to know their women are smokin!!!

EEEEEEooow!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Yes, if anything happened here, conservative muslim sects took a bullet.

They may have to issue a fatwah for her punishment.

I would guess that will involve a hit squad to 'off' her for daring to wear anything other than a burka and be a pole-dancer to beat!

PS: I gave you a flag for the nicely put together OP about a nicely 'put-together' Muslim woman.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
How stupid of the MSM to make a political issue out of this.

She is hot, hot, hot.

The religious hardliners should fall on their knees and praise Allah for creating someone gorgeous like her, instead of assigning hit squads on her.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by Dynamitrios]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Hey everyone, let's create an issue out of nothing based on our quasi-racist notion of patriotism! However we're going to need an utterly meaningless event with which to get offended over. Hmm...

This whole crying about the Miss America by the Right in the country needs to end right now. It's pathetic and retarded.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by PatesHatriots]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
You know, people seem to think Arab is a race.

It isn't. It's a term to denote several ethnic groups within the region of the middle east and northern Africa. It isn't about religion (80% of the worlds population of Muslim's are not Arabic). It has more to do with language and genealogy than anything else.

Miss USA looks more Persian than anything else to me. And I'll be the first to testify that Persian women are incredibly gorgeous. Like...crazily hot. So I don't see the issue here. It has nothing to do with her being Muslim whether or not she is. It has nothing to do with being Arab, which means as much as being European means. It has to do with the fact that people are starting to realize some of the hottest women on Earth are Arabian in origin and specifically, Persians. Because as I said, she looks Persian too me more than anything else.

I mean, I'll be frank; I wants me a hot Persian woman. Who doesn't?

Would any man in his right mind say no to any of them?

[edit on 19-5-2010 by SpectreDC]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12GaugePermissionSlip
Now I know why the Muslim men want the women to wear burkas! They don't want the rest of the world to know their women are smokin!!!

Thanks! I had a good laugh. I saw that pageant video and couldn't agree more. She's a stunner. Without burkas, there's be many more road accidents.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by 12GaugePermissionSlip

Thanks! I had a good laugh. I saw that pageant video and couldn't agree more. She's a stunner. Without burkas, there's be many more road accidents.

You know, in some areas they aren't that covered up and in most cases what covering they have they WANT to wear because, as I know from experience, a lot of these women, especially in Iran, are not only incredibly intelligent but very dignified. Specifically in Tehran you can see all over women wearing only a small wrapping around the head and hair, that still fully shows their faces:

People think Iran is this horrible Islamofascist country which isn't further than the truth. Perhaps outside of the cities into bum# Iran, but at least in the cities Iran is still very western. It has been western up until 30 years ago and to this day they still have a strong echo of western influences. I can not recall a single instance from pictures in Tehran showing women covered head to toe in cloth. Most times, they are wearing little head scarfs and fashionable clothing. Sure sounds degrading to women to me

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock
It will be interesting to see as time passes if the rigors of Islam can withstand the seductive draw of western ways. Especially in the US.

An almost naked arab woman...muslim...whatever...as Miss USA has got to be the work of the CIA.
Good work boys

I agree if this was some sort of propaganda war move, it is brilliant and even quite funny. Watch out Al-Quaeda, your daughters are the west's next generation of supermodels!

As for the backlash against her in the media, well sadly I am not surprised. The woman is Arabian and she beat out a white woman that said the words "state's rights" (even though she probably doesn't know what it means.)

Racism sadly does still exist, less on the outward hate-movement KKK and Nazi type stuff but more on just deep seeded emotional gut reactions of people. We have the same thing in the UK too, maybe even a little worse when it comes to Muslims.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpectreDC
You know, in some areas they aren't that covered up and in most cases what covering they have they WANT to wear

...yes I'm sure women in areas controlled by Taliban and other such militias have a lot of say in how to dress and what to do with their lives!

People think Iran is this horrible Islamofascist country which isn't further than the truth.

Persians aren't Arabs, so your post is completely off-topic. Yes, I have a few Persian friends with lively recollections of Tehran.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
...yes I'm sure women in areas controlled by Taliban and other such militias have a lot of say in how to dress and what to do with their lives!

Apparently the word some isn't in your dictionary.

Persians aren't Arabs, so your post is completely off-topic. Yes, I have a few Persian friends with lively recollections of Tehran.

No but the contestant looks Persian to me.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProjectJimmy

Originally posted by Logarock

Good work boys

As for the backlash against her in the media, well sadly I am not surprised. The woman is Arabian and she beat out a white woman that said the words "state's rights" (even though she probably doesn't know what it means.)

Racism sadly does still exist, less on the outward hate-movement KKK and Nazi type stuff but more on just deep seeded emotional gut reactions of people. We have the same thing in the UK too, maybe even a little worse when it comes to Muslims.

Well this is a beauty contest. I am white but get a bit tired of barbie doll blond chicks. My wife is blond.

But I do support the Arizona bill.....opinon not based on race at all.

I have believe for years that larger breasted women are filtered out by the time they get to the big show anyway so dont really take it as anything real to beginn with.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I really got to ask why all the fuss. She is a pretty young woman. I think it was a toss up and despite the lame politics leaking into the pagent, the right one won. End of story, move along. She seems very "westernized" anyway..

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

I was the first to use the term Arab on here so yes I hear you and know the diff......but really for the intent and porpose it doesnt matter. For example there are lots of Persians in India and Persians dont like to be called Irainians....and they are hot....and if you ask they will tell you that they are the worlds most handsome chicks.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by PatesHatriots
Hey everyone, let's create an issue out of nothing based on our quasi-racist notion of patriotism! However we're going to need an utterly meaningless event with which to get offended over. Hmm...

This whole crying about the Miss America by the Right in the country needs to end right now. It's pathetic and retarded.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by PatesHatriots]

OMG EXACTLY.

That was PRECISELY what i thought.

The right is just trying to SEEM patriotic by shifting blame onto Trump for crowning a deserving winner who just so happens to have a Muslim ancestry. Can someone say, "MISGUIDED?"

They should really learn how to be REALLY patriotic by not screwing up the lives of Americans with their stupid stall tactics that bog down progress in Congress and elsewhere.

They should learn to be REALLY patriotic by recognizing that America was created BY various cultures and races coming together as one nation.

Ellis Island in the 1950s. The states of Hawaii, Alaska and New Mexico.

The Italians and Irish migrating. The Canadians. The Chinese, Japanese and Koreans across the Pacific Ocean way back.

For crying out loud, this was exactly the OPPOSITE of patriotism.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

Did you read Schlussel's post?

(Although I shouldn't encourage people to. Let's just say it's for educational purposes. The education of what NOT to be.)

"I knew the classy Miss Oklahoma USA, Elizabeth Woolard–who gave a good and somewhat educated answer about Arizona’s immigration law (watch the video, above)–would lose, the minute she said she supported the Arizona law. After all, the right answer was to say how “unAmerican” and “oppressive” this law is and how great these illegal aliens are for doing “the work that some Americans just won’t do” (like kidnapping, rape, stealing jobs, and driving down wages).

WHAT. THE. FISHBONE. (Can you curse on ATS?)

I took so much offense at that.

Miss OK would probably scream if she saw what Schlussel wrote. It was bigotry, blanket stereotypical prejudice, and racism at its finest.

Do NON-illegal aliens (or residents for that matter) not "steal jobs?"

Or "kidnap"? Or "rape?"

These things happen in America WITH or WITHOUT illegal labor.

And she inadvertently made an argument against IMMIGRATION itself: by saying that because immigrants in general drive down wages, they should not come to America.

I find that bull.

Firstly, because Schlussel looks like a German last name. She's a descendant from immigrants.

Secondly, because: see my above post. America was BUILT on IMMIGRANTS sharing a common dream, common goals and values. It's what I love so much about this country.

Thrdly, because I MYSELF come from an Asian immigrant family.

And fourthly, she has NO idea about human geography or economics when she posted that. There is a FLOW of labor IN and OUT of America due to globalization. As people come into America, so do people go OUT.

Move to Canada, for example.

Or going to Asian countries for jobs or education, and maybe staying there afterward, just like how countless scholars stayed in USA after they completed college and CONTRIBUTED to society and scholarship.

Illegal immigrants have children too, often times SMART children, who would eventually grow up to take on roles in being part of America's society, would make her successful, would define her future success and would be AMERICAN.

These people, along with everyone else in America, would SHAPE America's place in the increasingly globalized world, where racial, status and religious lines are blurred.

(If you're white, you may not be Christian. You could be Buddhist. Etc.)

Case in point, Miss USA.

Methinks Schlussel has "white fear" - she's so scared of her race losing its supremacist status in her mind that she's resorting to lowly insults and fragile familial connections to make a point.

Thoughts?

[edit on 20-5-2010 by KarlG]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
oh, the muslim thing again?
i was kinda hoping her racy pictures finally came out

top topics

<<   2 >>

join