It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dopamine System in Highly Creative People Similar to That Seen in Schizophrenics, Study Finds

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by RedCairo

I really enjoyed reading your post, I have often been told I am bipolar and do have a history of it my family. I am also extremely creative writing, painting, carving wood, just creating. That is literally what I call this mania "I'm creating"

I have also noticed that I don't fit into the "norm" and sometimes I do wish I would just take that magic pill and be normal, but then all that I Value, my creativity, my unusual perception, would disappear.

Mostly I can function in life without a daily happy pill, but I can have really bad spells. I have found that a good support system, family and friends, will usually get you through it. It does take a toll on those around you but I am lucky enough to have a few people who have or had members in their family with similar tendencies.

Thankyou for your post!

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
OPHTHALMIC NANOPARTICLES DRUG DELIVERY SYSTEMS

Nanoparticles are defined as particulate dispersions or solid particles with a size in the range of 10-1000nm. The drug is dissolved, entrapped, encapsulated or attached to a nanoparticle matrix. Depending upon the method of preparation, nanoparticles, nanospheres or nanocapsules can be obtained.

The major goals in designing nanoparticles as a delivery system are to control particle size, surface properties and release of pharmacologically active agents in order to achieve the site-specific action of the drug at the therapeutically optimal rate and dose regimen.

Does that make sense to people? I'll be highly offended if someone thinks it still doesn't make sense.

Consider this part:

Site-specific targeting can be achieved by attaching targeting ligands to surface of particles or use of magnetic guidance.

It is now possible to do exactly what I brought up earlier in this thread. It may only be a very rugged and coarse means to produce desired effects, yet nanoparticle drug delivery is still beyond basic assimilation.

Being able to control and target specific areas in the brain is the core issue of possible "causes" to hallucinations or anything like it in, as the article states, healthy people.

What others didn't understand in this thread is the possibility to control hallucinations on purpose, which could enhance creativity (in a virtual reality theme). On the other hand, as a means for a cure, it may help balance the experience people have when they have undesired hallucinations.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

You know, you are the first to touch on a different aspect of this thread. The article is looking at the scientific approach to explain how neurotransmitters have a similar effect in schizophrenics, and highly creative people.

Most of what has been posted is a defense that the minds of severely mentally ill is in no way tied to the creative mind. Just to clarify, we are not saying if one is creative that makes them schizophrenic.

Now you have brought up the positive side of dealing with mental illness and being highly intelligent and creative. Which is a beautiful thing.

I can relate to your post so well. I too suffer from classic BipolarI disorder.
you can check some of my past threads to read about my experiences.

It came on just as you described. The one thing I learned, it is a part of me, but does not define who I am. If I didn't have the illness, I am pretty convinced I would have never achieved the things I have.

I think this thread should focus on the mentally ill being more than just their illness. You were the first one to bring that aspect to light. Thank you!!

I am a firm believer in the notion of everyone having gifts, we just have to tap into what those gifts are.

Nutrition, does play a huge role in managing the illness. For me it is my happy pill Abilify. I have had great success with this drug and virtually no side effects. However, I have learned the hard way that if I don't take my medication its not to long and i am in a very dark place.

Hang in there! Take one day at a time and focus on all that is wonderful about you!

Kindly,

Pax

[edit on 24-5-2010 by paxnatus]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
what about certain b complex vitamins? that works for me and if i go a week or two without it i don't have any severe side effects.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by rockoperawriter

Water-soluble vitamins help the majority of schizophrenics recover over time. Which b-vitamins do you take? I take high doses of ascorbic acid and niacin plus a natural b-complex. If I go off the niacin and c for more than a few days, I start getting very agitated, a little paranoid, and become an insomniac all over again.

I hope anyone who experiences serious mental issues will consider orthomolecular therapy.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by rockoperawriter
what about certain b complex vitamins? that works for me and if i go a week or two without it i don't have any severe side effects.

B series of vitamins relate to metabolism. This means you need some other substance in your body for the B vitamins to be effective. It's worth to have these on hand to help balance if you don't eat enough roughage, for example.

However, a daily dose of B vitamins with the wrong things in your body could increase the risk of other problems.

You don't have to believe me, but take it as advice from someone that survives with blood pressure over 200 from time to time. I'd be dead if my heart was buried in cholesterol. Blood pressure does exacerbate other issues.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by dzonatas

Have you any references for these statements? B-vitamins are water-soluble and incredibly safe.

It's like ginseng, they just make everything else work better.

As for the blood pressure, I hope you're aware that niacin in high doses beats out the leading 5 statins, and is the only FDA approved treatment that has a lowered risk of mortality in long-term studies.

Niacin

Niacin, a member of the B complex vitamin family, is the only "drug" proven to reduce mortality from elevated cholesterol levels. The Coronary Drug Project, an extensive study of cholesterol-lowering drugs, found that niacin was the only “drug” that actually reduced mortality. (Niacin is a “B” vitamin but was tested head-to-head with drugs in the study). Follow-up studies showed that the niacin-treated group had an 11% lower death rate years after niacin therapy was discontinued, but the cholesterol-lowering drug group had an increased death rate. (Example: the Clofibrate group had a 36% higher death rate).(1)
Mortality Decline

[edit on 24-5-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Okay, call it the nurse in me, but I have to to say this. No one here should stop taking their meds suddenly. While I know there is good advice coming from the benefits of vitamins, they are not a substitute for the medication your doctor has prescribed.

Coming off antipsychotics rapidly can and will induce psychosis. Please check with your doctor before making any changes, just to be on the safe side.

Where there has been great benefit with the B vitamins as they relate to mood, too much of a good thing can be harmful.

B3 or Niacin should not be taken in high doses unless under the supervision of a doctor.
Niacin can build up quickly in the liver, and cause permanent liver damage.
It can also lead to Artherosclerosis or hardening of the arteries, diabetes and several other complications. The dose in males 19 and older should not exceed 16 mg.
For females 14mg.

www.umm.edu...

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by paxnatus

Okay, call it the nurse in me, but I have to to say this. No one here should stop taking their meds suddenly. While I know there is good advice coming from the benefits of vitamins, they are not a substitute for the medication your doctor has prescribed.

Coming off antipsychotics rapidly can and will induce psychosis. Please check with your doctor before making any changes, just to be on the safe side.

Agree 100%. I wasn't suggesting anyone come off of their antipsychotics. Sorry if there was any confusion.

Where there has been great benefit with the B vitamins as they relate to mood, too much of a good thing can be harmful.

B3 or Niacin should not be taken in high doses unless under the supervision of a doctor.
Niacin can build up quickly in the liver, and cause permanent liver damage.
It can also lead to Artherosclerosis or hardening of the arteries, diabetes and several other complications. The dose in males 19 and older should not exceed 16 mg.
For females 14mg.

www.umm.edu...

Can you provide any reference that niacin may cause atherosclerosis, or diabetes? I've not heard of this once. In fact, niacin is FDA approved to treat atherosclerosis in doses much higher than the UIL.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

probably in a mentally ill person the dopamine is really out of balence. In creative people at least there is balence and attachment to reality.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   

I didn't mean to make it seem like. I was calling you out about the meds. I apologize I know you were not doing that.

As far as niacin and Artherosclerosis, you are right and I typed the wrong thing. I apologize for that too. It does LOWER chances of Artherosclerosis, at the same time can lead to other heart disease.

Because niacin lowers LDL and triglycerides in the blood, it may help prevent atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries) and is sometimes prescribed along with other medications. However, niacin also increases levels of homocysteine levels in the blood, which is associated with an increased risk of heart disease. This is another reason you should not take high doses of niacin without your doctor's supervision.

This quote Is from the link above. It also can raise your blood sugar. It talks about it in link.

Thank you, unity for bringing the mistake to my attention.

Pax

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadred
One of the most important differences between schitzophrenics and "more normal" highly creative people is thatthose without schitzophrenic symtoms understand and control in a positive way their delusions. I laugh at mine and throw them into a mental trashcan, while schitzophrenics and bi-polars actually believe their delusions, and act on them. They have great trouble in discerning what is real and what is delusional. Visual and aural hallucinations make it even harder, and I feel great empathy for these people.

I was told I was bipolar but I sure as heck didn't believe in any delusions. I know what is real and I know what is delusional. I have auditory hallucinations or whatever they are and usually I laugh or just ignore it. One really messed up one I had was, I could hear an entire sports game going on, plays and all. I don't even know terms for football plays. I just laughed and continued to go to sleep. I feel like I am very empathic, it's more so if I see a person or am around them. Somtimes it gets to me and I can't be around certain people.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   

I didn't mean to make it seem like. I was calling you out about the meds. I apologize I know you were not doing that.

As far as niacin and Artherosclerosis, you are right and I typed the wrong thing. I apologize for that too. It does LOWER chances of Artherosclerosis, at the same time can lead to other heart disease.

Because niacin lowers LDL and triglycerides in the blood, it may help prevent atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries) and is sometimes prescribed along with other medications. However, niacin also increases levels of homocysteine levels in the blood, which is associated with an increased risk of heart disease. This is another reason you should not take high doses of niacin without your doctor's supervision.

This quote Is from the link above. It also can raise your blood sugar. It talks about it in link.

Thank you, unity for bringing the mistake to my attention.

Pax

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Hi mblahnikluver,

Thanks for sharing. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind? My son has auditory hallucinations and he also either laughs at them or ignores them. At what age did this begin for you? Do you here language or sounds? Is their more than one person talking?
Do you take any medication.

If you do not wish to answer here, you can U2U me. I would really appreciate it as I am looking for ways to better understand him.
Kindly,
Pax

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Hmmm I wonder what a mental evaluation would result in for me. I am fond of creative writing and my stories are generally dark and bittersweet, I'm not too fond of the meaningless happy ending. My characters can be turned into real people, they are written they way. They have a personality that enables me to see how they think, if i can see how they think i know how they feel and why. This is without even thinking of them as fictional characters. I can already do this analysis with real people, its like mind reading in a sense of the word.

Already been diagnosed with ADD and Depression, im sure some minor form of Schizophrenia might lurk somewhere.

[edit on 24-5-2010 by ItsAgentScully]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

It's all good!

Thanks for chiming in on the possible side effects for what I was talking about!

Also thank you for being open minded about alternative treatment while still being immersed in the medical field.

I'm not sure that's all too common, but what I know? I rarely go see a doctor these days..

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I think it is a societal problem ONLY because such a condition tends to put people in a state where they are unable to care for themselves, get paranoid and delusional...I also believe society has a lot to do with making them that way. It is no mystery that talented and creative people often suffer with "mental illness" but it should yield insight into the importance of the mind, its ultimate role, which clearly points in a direction beyond gathering food.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

i take b complex, vitamin c, b100 i do eat junk food but have a bowflex, i also eat seafood, asian food, venison (don't judge it before you try it) and i also practice a lot of tai chi amongst other martial arts. to keep my mind going i play guitar, bass, sing, (clean or gutteral vocals) and i write my own lyrics

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join