It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan court orders block of Facebook over caricatures

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Nammu

so my conclusion is that my views offend you.

Think what you like.

I'm not going to implode and feel like I have to ridicule your national background and/or culture with degenerative cartoon satire to get some measure of cheap satisfaction, like a two school kids punching each other in the arm.

Oh and for the record, i'm Scottish not American.

Did I even ask? What's that got to the do with it?

I'm Australian, should I be a rabid bigot because of my country's history of persecuting minorities?

You're getting confused and/or projecting some inner fears.

My opinion doesn't affect you either and you've still got your hackles up about the discussion.

Much the same way since you're in Scotland, Pakistani IP Filters have no effect whatsoever on you.

Not to be harsh, but I do honestly think you are being overly thin-skinned.

I don't agree with control, whether other countries do it or not or whether it's one url or not.

Funny, if you're so much for Internet Democracy why don't you make a fuss about the UK's Digital Economy Bill?

Do you realize how detrimental that is going to be to Internet freedom around the world?

Yet here you are complaining about Pakistan's right to be offended.

I can't help but think you really don't have any concern for freedom, much less Muslims...

If they have laws saying blasphemy is illegal then they've got the right to block it. Doesn't mean i have to agree with it. I'm still entitled to my opinion.

I'm sure they'll lose sleep over that one.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12

“295-C: Use of derogatory remarks, etc., in respect of the Holy Prophet: whoever by words, either spoken or written, or by visible representations, or by any imputation, innuendo, or insinuation, directly or indirectly, defiles the sacred name of the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him), shall be punished with death, or imprisonment for life, and shall also be liable to fine.

Link

I love the last bit. If you were being sentenced to death or life inprisonment, what would your reaction be to the guy trying to fine you?

I think mine would be "F*** off!!" What would you have to lose?

A bit of a harsh punishment though, I thought Pakistan were a little less extreme than this these days.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
why americans are stupid?

because they think they have freedom of speech.

but a few days earlier an autistic 14 year old was going to be charged for a few stickman sketches because he had drawn himself point a gun at his teacher.

?? who hasnt done that, everyone hates thier teacher at some point and as children we draw to express how we felt.

now where is the freedom of speech/expression here??

freedom of speech has nothing to do with drawing muhammed, you may have realised that all of the people who drew muhammed are either anti religion or anti islam and they come with an agenda... they start the problem then get you to fight it with them in the name of freedom.

unlike the christians who have lost thier dignity, the muslims dont draw thier own prophet, nor any other prophet in that case. the christians drew jesus in every shape and form. here the good part, the muslims will simply not allow the people who do it to get away. they have faith, and i respect that more than i respect the guy who drew the silly childish cartoons.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Damn that's harsh! But the UK only repealed it's blasphemy laws recently and our law was pretty much the same so can't comment really.......Although at least the death penalty for blasphemy was abolished here in 1676.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I don't see the problem with this.
Pakistan's state religion is Islam, and they have strong blasphemy laws, so I don't see a problem with them blocking facebook if it contains images that they deem blasphemous.

A lot of people citing freedom of speech/expression are just exploiting that concept as an excuse to draw mocking and insulting cartoons that you know will anger and upset people.

Once more, if you're so keen on the concept of free speech, then why don't you go to the White House and make threats against the president ?
See how far your freedom of speech gets you.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by Conspiracy Chicks fan !]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by skajkingdom

Sadly, anything like this will get the sick, bigoted people of society out in force.
Of course, it's also a great way for the people who post that kind of filth to flag themselves to authorities as ''people of interest''.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by The Godfather of Conspira

I'm not going to implode and feel like I have to ridicule your national background and/or culture with degenerative cartoon satire to get some measure of cheap satisfaction, like a two school kids punching each other in the arm.

See, i'm not saying lets draw Mohammed and shove it in Muslims faces to offend them just because it's fun. That scenario is simply morally wrong. I'm saying that if i choose to draw him for whatever reason then that's my choice. If i choose to post it on the internet then that's my choice. If a couple of guys choose to stick him in their cartoon with some super best friends then that's their choice. I can choose not to watch it or look at it if it offends me. Many people get very offended at lots of things that depict Jesus in a bad light. But we don't ban it and we don't accuse people of ridiculing Christian countries' national background or culture. Why is it acceptible to ridicule Jesus, God, Buddha or Krisha but not Mohammed? Is the offence of Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Hindus etc less noteworthy to us than the offence of Muslims?

Did I even ask? What's that got to the do with it?

Apologies. You mentioned United States and flag waving. That made me assume you had mistaken me for an American. My bad.

Funny, if you're so much for Internet Democracy why don't you make a fuss about the UK's Digital Economy Bill?

Don't worry. I'm making a fuss about that one
I think i must be on the hate list of a lot of MPs and MSPs at the moment. Between that and the Holly Grieg case i'm keeping them busy.

I can't help but think you really don't have any concern for freedom, much less Muslims...

I'm unsure how you have reached that conclusion. You should perhaps go read my other posts on ATS to get a better idea of who i am before jumping to such conclusions. I am a constant advocate for both.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Nammu

See, i'm not saying lets draw Mohammed and shove it in Muslims faces to offend them just because it's fun.

But that's exactly what this FaceBook page has turned into...

(sorry for the interuption..
)

Peace

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Well that the different between drawing a normal picture and one that you intentionally make offensive. I'm not advocating intentionally offensive behaviour (although everyone seems to keep implying that i am), i'm all for being able to draw him a normal fashion if you so wish. After skajkingdom mentioning the content was bad i'll be avoiding it.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nammu
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Well that the different between drawing a normal picture and one that you intentionally make offensive. I'm not advocating intentionally offensive behaviour (although everyone seems to keep implying that i am), i'm all for being able to draw him a normal fashion if you so wish. After skajkingdom mentioning the content was bad i'll be avoiding it.

I am muslim myself and I have no problem with ANYONE drawing Muhammad, depicting him in a normal manner, or for informational purposes, or whatever.

But, what is going on on that site is just pathetic. I have noticed that the authors or Facebook (someone) has in the meantime removed most of those profane / racist pictures. But since this is Facebook, so they keep coming up.

They should have known that by inviting people to do it, the will most certainly attract every bigot out there who only jumps at an opportunity like this.

On the other hand, maybe THEY KNEW THIS and did it exactly because of it, just as one of their Group put it yesterday:

A muslim quoted Jesus ("Forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing")
he got promptly a reply from them in the form of:

"Oh, but we know exactly what we are doing",

followed by a bunch of "nuke the muslims", "rape them", "we need the crusade again", "**** Allah", "***** Muhammad", "muslims are rag.s, camel *****ers, goat ****ers, animals", "rape their children and women then slaughter them"

etc... with a bunch of such profane words, I am ashamed to even mention them here.

As I have done many times, I shall bring up a quote from the Qur'an:

Rank hatred has already appeared from their mouths: What their hearts conceal is far worse.
(Qur'an, 3:118)

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by RizeorDie
why americans are stupid?

because they think they have freedom of speech.

but a few days earlier an autistic 14 year old was going to be charged for a few stickman sketches because he had drawn himself point a gun at his teacher.

?? who hasnt done that, everyone hates thier teacher at some point and as children we draw to express how we felt.

now where is the freedom of speech/expression here??

freedom of speech has nothing to do with drawing muhammed, you may have realised that all of the people who drew muhammed are either anti religion or anti islam and they come with an agenda... they start the problem then get you to fight it with them in the name of freedom.

unlike the christians who have lost thier dignity, the muslims dont draw thier own prophet, nor any other prophet in that case. the christians drew jesus in every shape and form. here the good part, the muslims will simply not allow the people who do it to get away. they have faith, and i respect that more than i respect the guy who drew the silly childish cartoons.

They have faith? LMAO!

Sorry I find all organized religion appalling. All three major religions just got it all wrong and after reading the sumerian tablets I just laugh some more! What ever happened to the middle east? Sumerians were good people then after a war or two the whole area fell apart.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Looks like Youtube is also getting blocked too now:

YouTube blocked in Pakistan

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join