It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Modem Problems Please someone help !!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I am having serious modem problems. My computer is not recieving bytes all that well anymore and rarely will go above 6 million bytes recieved before it logs me off. The bytes come in ultra slow and I dont know why. My network utilization under task manager goes from 20-99 percent constantly. I have tried everything , virus, reload everything, defragged....still cant figure out the problem. Is my modem going bad???? I have no static in the line and this has been happening for 2 weeks now.

Example - I have been on for one hour and I have recieved 3,000,000 bytes and have sent out 1000000 and my so called connection right now is 50.6. I dont know what that adds up to, but it doesnt seem right to me.

I have two different ISPs that I use also. And both have the same problem.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 03:27 AM
link   
OK i have encountered this error before, its not your ISP, or your machine. Its definitly a problem in your cables.

Electrons move along the cables into your machine. In new cables they move fast, but as the cables age they begin to lose their slipperyness and dry out. You need to relubricate your modem cable to get the electrons up to speed again. The best way to do this I found is with margarine, just wipe some along the cable from your machine to the wall socket and the electrons will move faster again.

Some brands of margarine are better than others and you may have to experiment, I have found that those containing olive oil are better than those containing canola extracts.

Butter works best, but breaks down faster. By totally immersing your cable in butter you can achieve near broadband speeds for a short while, until the butter melts off from the heat generated.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 04:25 AM
link   
^^^^^^
I can neither confirm nor deny anything NC just said.

www.modemsite.com...
See if that site helps troubleshoot anything. It sure sounds like it's a hardware issue if this is happening with 2 different ISPs.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   
NC, are you serious and if so what cable do you mean???

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
The easiest thing to do is to reformat the machine.. The past 2 years the numbers of viruses,worms and trojans (not to mention the countless ads) have gotten into the system registry and (c) it up.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreamz
NC, are you serious and if so what cable do you mean???

Oh dear ... no, he's not serious!
Er, well if he is, I don't recommend putting food products on computer components! He might be serious, NC's kinda weird like that.
Try the link before you try the margarine, really....

ETA: And make sure it's not a hardware (modem) problem before you format the computer!!!!! Sheesh!

[Edited on 8-6-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I have recently re-formatted my machine within the last month actually.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
... then its time to try the margarine on your modem cable.....

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Ignore the margarine, unless you want some electric shocks while surfing, it sounds like a hardware problem, although netchicken could be right with the cableing, check the cable connecting the modem to the phone socket is in good nick and try using some cloth to clean the sockets on your modem and phone line, also if your plugged into and extention this can happen, unplug any cheep phones atached to the line too, that may help.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Can you tell us you're PC spec (OS, hardware, software, modem) ? Have you installed or changed recently a component ?

It can be an IRQ conflict (An Interruption used by two different hardware components). I don't know about that under windows but it can also be a "lock" file : A file using ressources on you're modem twice.

Under linux, when you got a crash, or when you turn off you're computer without stopping (unmounting) you're modem, the kernel still work on you're modem, and it can cause an extremelly slow connection.

[Edited on 11-6-2004 by Nans DESMICHELS]

Forget about the margarine tip. Modems prefers real butter.

[Edited on 11-6-2004 by Nans DESMICHELS]

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Shhhh Nans, thats an industry secret about using butter!

Actually the post above about phones on the line is very true, try disconnecting all your phones then checking your speed, then add them back in one at a time and see what happens. Indeed you may have a bad phone on the line - somewhere I read no more than 6 phones should be on one line as well..

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Anyway, he didn't replied, I can't help him.
If his OS is linux, or if he is a netscape or mozilla user, this may be only a problem of .lock file.

Also, if he recently reformated his computer and running window$, it can be an IRQ/DMA conflict between to PnP hardware using the same IRQ port...

[Edited on 13-6-2004 by Nans DESMICHELS]

top topics

join