It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marsili Volcano: the greatest undersea volcano of Europe will erupt even tomorrow!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
The greatest submarine volcano of Europe, called "the Monster", lies in the middle of the Tyrrhenian Sea to three thousand meters of depth and its peak and crater are about 450 meters below the sea surface. Its history gets confused it is unknown in the time and when or happened the last eruption: certainly in far ages.

But own the issued signs have induced to study it and the last campaign begun in February with the oceanographic ship "Urania", of the CNR, has made to increase the worry. The found landslides indicate an instability impossible to ignore.
“It could happen also tomorrow! The last completed surveyings say that the "building" of the volcano is not sturdy and its walls are fragile. Moreover we have measured the "magma chamber" that has been formed during the last few years and is of great dimensions. All it says to us that the volcano is active and could erupt suddenly!”

Enzo Boschi, president of the Italian National Institute of Geophysicist and Volcanology, also in secures, has worried tones telling the results of the last campaign of searches completed on the Marsili, the greatest volcano of Europe, submergeed into the Tyrrhenian Sea to 150 kilometers from the coasts of the Campania region south of Naples. From the depth of sea one gets up for three thousand meters and the summit of its crater is to 450 meters from the surface of the sea. Its structure is long imposing being 70 km and wide 30 km.

It is a hidden monster of which to only sonar sounds have revealed the true face. Around various hidrotermal emissions with a frequency, lately elevated, have been observed and own these, due to the weak structure of the walls, could cause more alarming landslides of the same possible eruption. Recently two events are recorded, fortunately contained.

“The fast fall of a remarkable mass of material - explains Prof. Boschi - would trigger a powerful tsunami that would invest the coasts of the Campania, Calabria and Sicily provoking huge disasters”. In the heart of the Marsili, the instruments have given a face to the incandescent magma chamber that has been formed, and that today it reaches the dimensions of four kilometers for two: it is like a "boiling pot" with the cover plugged. The Marsili is from years special watching for some launch signs. “The yielding of the walls - said Prof. Boschi - would move million meters cubic of material, that it would be able to generate a huge wave of high power. The collected indications now are precise but forecasts cannot be made. The risk is real and of difficult appraisal”. The reason is in the situation in which the volcano is found. The Etna volcano, in these years, has been "upholstery" of instruments in a position to informing at least if an eruption is imminent, with a sure margin of warning. The Marsili volcano is not only submergeed but it is lacking in these ready probes to listen to its eventual bad ones intentions. It would have to install a net of probes and devices around the volcano connected to a surveillance center. But all this is outside every budget of expense. With the resources on hand some new instrument will be placed but not certainly the surveillance Net it necessary. “What it serves - concludes Boschi -is a continuous system of monitoring, in order to guarantee reliability. But it is expensive and it is complicated to realize. Of sure there is that anytime the disaster could happen and we cannot establish it”.

I don't want to be a fear monger but this news is really impressive.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Antor

Star and Flag!

This is crazy. Lets hope this beast doesn't erupt anytime soon. Or else it would be a huge disaster...

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Pretty fascinating. Never heard of this volcano before, but will likely keep an eye on the news surrounding it. I'm hopeful that it doesn't, but looks like it is likely going to happen (hopefully that's 100's of years from now). I went to Gozo (an island of Malta) on my honeymoon 2 years ago and I'd hate to see that place jeopardized. It was stunning. The whole Med would be ruined. I'll keep my prayers going for inactivity. In the meantime, I found this piece of news.

But the data compiled so far indicates that the Marsili volcano is unique worldwide.

“The drastic decrease that we have recorded on the top of the seamount – especially for the magnetic and gravity field – are, perhaps, considered very exceptional,” said Luca Cocchi, another author of the Marsili volcano report at INGV.

www.ethiopianreview.com...

S&F - Peace

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I have a problem with any credible source of factual information that involves exclamation points at the end of every sentence.

In geological terms, "it could happen tomorrow" is usually ended with "or in ten thousand years."

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I sure hope this one doesn't go - There's no Volcano Cam on it and we wouldn't be able to watch

top topics

join