It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

***Breaking News! Bangkok Burns After Thai Protest Leaders Arrested! (Red Shirts surrender)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   

The Red Shirt protest leadership surrendered to authorities Wednesday afternoon and the army declared itself in full control, but violence raged on afterwards.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fb33fc0c0634.jpg[/atsimg]

BANGKOK -- Downtown Bangkok became a raging battleground Wednesday as the army stormed a barricaded protest camp and toppled the Red Shirt leadership, enraging demonstrators who fired grenades and set fires that cloaked the skyline in a black haze.

At least two protesters and an Italian news photographer were killed. Two other foreign journalists and 15 Thais were wounded in the fighting. The Red Shirt protest leadership surrendered to authorities Wednesday afternoon and the army declared itself in full control, but violence raged on afterwards.

Surreal scenes of warfare erupted soon after dawn in one of the ritziest parts of the capital, a city of 10 million people, as troops armed with M-16s converged on the central business district. The chaotic end to the Red Shirt campaign is certain to deal a heavy blow to the economy and tourism industry of Thailand, a key U.S. ally and long considered one of the more stable economies of Southeast Asia. The Red Shirts are demanding the ouster of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's government, the dissolution of Parliament and new elections.

On Wednesday afternoon, seven top Red Shirt leaders turned themselves in, saying they cannot see their supporters being killed anymore.

"Brothers and sisters, I'm sorry I cannot see you off the way I welcomed you all when you arrived here. But please be assured that our hearts will always be with you," Nattawut Saikua, a key leader, said as he was being arrested.
Source: www.foxnews.com...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/eb5ab27851c2.jpg[/atsimg]
Well, thank God no more people will be getting gunned down in the streets.

I usre hope they can work thru the differences. I really though the Red Shirts were going to put up a bigger fight but I guess that is tough against people with the guns. Lessons to be learned here-for sure.

We'll see houw things pan out over the next couple of days/weeks.

[edit on 5/19/2010 by anon72]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Man I was afraid it was going to come to this. This has been brewing for months. The red shirts tossed in the towel after what the article said was a raging battleground

I hope it can settle down now and no more people get hurt.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

They didn't stand a chance, from the beginning. I am actually surprised it went this long. A gov't in fear of it's people can do some crazy things-it they are the ones with all the guns.

Coming to America soon? Hmmmm I sure hope not.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I'm just glad it's over
Hopefully it will get back to normal

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I found some very powerful images of the troubles in Bangkok: *

*the more gruesome images have to be clicked to be viewed...

From Boston.com

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

This is by no means over.

It's very possible that things could get worse from this point on. The protest leaders have surrendered to the police, and in many instances they were the ones trying to keep the protesters from committing violence. Now, leaderless and angry, some of the protesters have begun setting buildings on fire. For the first time during this crisis the government has imposed a curfew. Public transportation services have stopped and grocery stores are closing.

It could be that this is the start of things returning to normal, or it could be the beginning of city-wide anarchy. The situation could go in either direction at this point.

I took some pictures of the Bangkok skyline this afternoon, after the the protest leaders had surrendered:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 19-5-2010 by Teebs]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I agree with you Teebs on this one . The people will not forget this one , they will return bigger and better and this will esculate .People have lost family , they won't forget or forgive . One personal comment I would like to add is this .Every one will remember the protests (aledged) in Iran .It was nowhere near to the scale of Bangkok .The media has covered both Iranian and Bangkok fairly evenly .The only differance was that Iran was condemed the world over for human rights violations yet the world leaders have remained silent about Bangkok .We must ask ourselves why is this ? I would like to here peoples thoughts on this .

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
This is awful...

Dozens trapped in Bangkok televison station blaze
www.thaindian.com...

But I still support government actions.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Would you like to watch Bangkok burn live on video right now?

Bangkok going up in smoke literally webcam livestream. interactive.foxnews.com...

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by wiredamerican

Wow, pretty intense over there, still. Maybe the end isn't near for this thing.

The Gov't got more bullets and people willing to shoot them so....

Sad.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
the only reason the red shirt lost was because the army snipered their military strategist, he was shot in the head.

before his death the red shirts where making smart moves.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by RizeorDie

They need to be better prepared and more able to respond to Changes in the Game Plan (leader getting shot in the head, as an example).

They better do something or a lot more will be taken out by the snipers. Disgusting-a live fire zone.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Are you kidding me! They surrendered!?

I would just like to quote something that seem relavant to this.

"It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace — but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"

- Patrick Henry

Never give up! Never surrender!

[edit on 5/19/10 by Misoir]

top topics

join