It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officer attacked by dog.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   
www2.oanow.com...

An Auburn man was arrested Sunday after ordering a pit bull to attack an Auburn police officer making an arrest at a residence on Lee Road 12.

According to Auburn police, officers responded to a residence in the 1600 block of Lee Road 12 at approximately 3:28 p.m. Sunday to execute a felony arrest warrant for a probation violation. When they attempted to arrest Sylvester Deshone Turk, 28, of Tuskegee, in accordance with the warrant, he physically resisted and a brief altercation ensued.

Turk was eventually taken into custody and charged with the original probation violation, as well as resisting arrest, according to an APD release.

While Turk was being arrested, another occupant of the residence, Deardre Marcel Rush, 28, of Auburn, verbally ordered or instructed a pit bull to become aggressive and bite the arresting officer on the leg, the release states.

Auburn police say the officer was not seriously injured in the attack. Rush was subsequently charged with second-degree assault against a law enforcement officer.

Both Turk and Rush were transported to the Lee County Detention Facility without incident. The dog was taken by a Lee County animal control officer to be evaluated.

I can't understand why there are so many stories of dogs being shot by police officers.

In case you are wondering, I am an avid animal lover. But some of these dogs that are being shot are indeed used as attack dogs. The officer didn't shoot this one, so you guys can breathe a sigh of relief now. Personally, if you have a pistol and a dog attacks you, you probably aren't going to be able to shoot it. This officer did what I wouldn't do. He showed restraint and let animal control pick it up. I love dogs, but being bitten myself, I would have killed this dog after the fact. Just thought I would post this up for you guys to enjoy.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ventian

its nice when cops react in a controlled manner instead of just shooting the dog, and thats about the most vicious breed of dog there is.

i applaud this officer for keeping his cool.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Applause to the APD
for the use of constraint
in the matter

a unit citation

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Police know what kind of dogs are attack dogs and which aren't. I wouldn't buy a yorkie to protect me, yet one was shot and killed or like a story currently circulating about a 35lb. corgie. The cops can tell when someone is giving them an attitude, but can't tell if a dog is aggressive and poses a lethal force? If a pitbull is coming at you showing it's teeth then you may get mauled and lethal force is most likely necessary and reasonable, but a corgie or yorkie? Aggressive dogs show their teeth and charge right at you. Maybe I'm biased because of a lifelong relationship with dogs. I applaud this officer for his decision, but even as a dog lover I probably would of shot this dog.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRoadLessTraveled

I agree, and as stated. The officer definitely showed more restraint than I would have. Glad to see the dog lived though. It really sucks when dogs end up getting shot because the owner is an A-hole.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

It's not the dog, it's the owner. I know many a pit bull and all of them are nothing but big babies.

Pit bulls get a bad name because of people that fight them. Every pit bull I know is a well behaved loving animal and quite intelligent to boot.

It says the dog was instructed to attack. It was following it's master's order. "Sick em boy!"

All the pits I know would just lick you to death.

P.S. I would say Chows, Dobermans and Dalmatians are far more vicious.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by DaMod]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Hear, hear.

I get more than a little tired of the "vicious breed" nonsense.

Statistics over the past 30 years show the "vicious breed" happens to be whatever dog is popular in ghetto trash culture. In the 70's it was the doberman. In the 80's it was the rottweiler. Now it's the "bulldog" whatever that means since every moron out there has their own idea of what a "bulldog" is. Most will confuse terriers for the "bulldog" they expect to see.

Vicious breed or evil black rifle or black man are all the same thing to these idiots. Bigoted and ignorant embodiments of their own fear and inadequacy.

Commanding your dog to attack is a lot like aiming a gun at a person. It's not the guns fault its owner is a moron and it certainly isnt the dogs fault.

The owner should have been put down and the dog given a chance at rehabilitation.

Temperment statistics by breed in case anyone was interested in shedding the gross weight of carrying a blind and foolish myth around:
www.atts.org...

80-90% + pass rate for a good temperment. Corgi's, Chihuahua's and even Lassie scored worse.

What happens once the dog gets home with it's new ghetto trash owner is a whole 'nother story.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I hear that. I myself own a chihuahua, a yorkshire terrier, a #zu, and a lab/bloodhound mix. The lab/bloodhound mix (around 120 lbs) is the biggest baby in the world (unless you are a chipmunk/rabbit/cat). The yorkie and the chihuahua (which are very sweet to me and my family) are vicious if you come in the house and they don't know you. Pitbulls are being bred right now for instances just as what happened to the officer. They are being used as a weapon which is disgusting.

new topics

top topics

join