It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Census taker came to my home today...

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I thought I would pass on my encounter with a census taker, which occured today.

First of all, I did return the census form I received in the mail, before the deadline. The only response I made was the number of people living in my residence. Then, just last Friday, I got home from work and found a note from a census taker, on a pre printed page. It gave the worker's name and a telephone number and requested a call. Of course, I did not call.

This evening, she returned. I stepped outside and asked how she was doing (the usual cordial greeting in my area). She responded, then explained her purpose. I kindly informed her I had already returned the required form, to which she responded "they must not have received it or you wouldn't be on my list". I politely told her I wouldn't be answering anymore questions, a I had already answered all that is required by the Constitution.

She then asked for my name and telephone number, which I declined to give. She asked me to repeat the answer I had put on the form and I declined to respond.

Every response I made to her included the words "no, ma'am" and I did not disrespect her in any way. After refusing to answer the last question, she "huffed" and walked away. I saw her jotting some notes in her vehicle, before she drove away.

I expect I'll get another visit by a supervisor, but will respond in the same manner. I will be as respectful as they allow me to be, but will not take any BS.

Unlike some (and I am not judging the opinions of others), my refusal has nothing to do with any suspected conspiracy. My opinion is, simply, my government has ignored the will of the people, for a long time now. We have spoken loudly and have remained ignored and even mocked. So, I am just reciprocating with the same attitude. I don't take it out on the census taker, but will make it known I do not fear any potential repercussions. I don't expect it to, but they should also know I do not respond well to threats, as the OP was subjected to.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

the only problem is we are required to get not only the number of people but the ages of each that's the bare minimum for it to be accepted

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
This just happened literally 30 minutes ago. We live out in the sticks. The driveway to our house is rather long and we have a MULE (thats a brand!) operated motorized cattle panel gate at the driveway opening that is operated by remote controls that my hubby and I keep in our cars and one in the house. Our house and 5 acres are completely fenced. A lady census worker IN A DRESS none the less, forced her way through the gate opening which wrenched the whole thing. I look out because our 4 dogs are raising hell and she comes up the road, up our driveway..I walked out onto the porch and asked "How did you get in here"? She replied while making a circle motion with her finger.."I went around the gate" when what she should have said is I forced my big behind through the opening, wrenching your gate, causing it to bind up and stop working!!! I said to her "You had no right to do that-thats what that gate is there for"! to which she promptly grabbed her id and said "Im with the census" and I told her "4 PEOPLE LIVE HERE AND THATS ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW". I walked back in the house and she lumbered back down the driveway to the road, SQUEEZED her self back out and left. Two things that really piss me off about this..
1) the gate motor had just been re-installed this morning after being worked on because of water getting into it. It was fixed and working fine.
2) Now theres a 12 inch gap between the gate and fence post that can allow anyone to come in! She had to use a lot of force to get through there....

Why do these people act like its no big deal to trespass like this? What if my pit and boxers had been in the front yard??? The instant they saw a stranger working their way up to the house they would have been all over her-and not in a good way.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by jaimie44]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ZWP08

Well, so some say. However, here is a letter I wrote to provide to any more census takers, who may show up.

Consider this letter official notification that this household has completed the Constitutionally required information, on the appropriate form received via the U. S. mail, and has returned said form, via the U.S. mail.

Be advised that it is unnecessary for you to return to this residence, as no further information will be provided.

As a courtesy to you, I provide the following relative information:

The Constitution of the United States of America
Article. I.
Section. 2.
…Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons. The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct. The Number of Representatives shall not exceed one for every thirty Thousand, but each State shall have at Least one Representative; and until such enumeration shall be made, the State of New Hampshire shall be entitled to choose three, Massachusetts eight, Rhode-Island and Providence Plantations one, Connecticut five, New-York six, New Jersey four, Pennsylvania eight, Delaware one, Maryland six, Virginia ten, North Carolina five, South Carolina five, and Georgia three.

Section. 9.
No Capitation, or other direct, Tax shall be laid, unless in Proportion to the Census or enumeration herein before directed to be taken.

Definitions
enumerate
1. To count off or name one by one; list:
2. To determine the number of; count.

census
1. An official, usually periodic enumeration of a population
2. Any official count

The word census occurs only once in the original Constitution and the word enumeration, three times. All of these were included in my letter and were bolded here.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Man, that census had some strange freakin questions on it though-

I wont admit whether I returned it or not-

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

I understand where you're coming from. All i was saying is what i have to do in order to get paid. Article 1 section 2 of the constitution mandates that a census be taken every ten years. It is implemented by various acts of congress as described in Title 13 of the US code. It is required by law that it be completed to the extent that they require, number of people and ages, by either you or a proxy. That being said just ignore them and they'll find out what they can form a neighbor and be out of your hair.

To jaimie44 I'm sorry if she damaged your property you might be able to be compensated for that if you can find the right people to talk to. In the case of your house shes either going to come back one they tell her she needs ages or they'll send someone else. Is there a way for her to contact your home from the gate? if not she is required to approach your home to make a first personal contact.Since she already did that it may also just be a phone cal next and in that case just give her the ages so they wont keep trying.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
A lady just came to my door asking these questions and my father had already sent it in.

wasnt really a big problem though, I didnt remember the age's of my family members (or their exact birthdates)

but i was never asked about hair color, eye color, height, weight, .

only age, Names, number of people here, and ethnicity.

it was odd thought.

The United States Government Most Likely Has All of this Data.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
Originally posted by hawkiye

The ignorance of some just astounds me...

Now, I know you are not calling names are you? I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were not calling me a name and violating the T&C.

If you think I am some how unaware of laws about trespassing, I want to point out that you are gravely mistaken. I do not live under a rock.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by gimme_some_truth]

My point? Both were behaving like macho pig headed jerks. They were BOTH wrong.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by DrJay1975

I've run into a number of census takers while at work and all have been very nice, professional and polite. If this happened as described, this person is guilty of trespassing, harassment and unlawful entry into a residence..at the very least. All census workers are bound by the same laws as anyone else and have no special authority.

By the way, Labs are very friendly dogs so it's odd that yours is so unfriendly. I've run into hundreds of dogs as part of my job and have never encountered a single unfriendly lab. Maybe I just have that kind of face

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Something simular with me my wife sent our's in as soon as we got it, allthough I told her not to answer all the questions only the ones that we are reguired under the constatution, she answered all!!, OK so the other day I was wandering through the house when some lady started coming through my front door! Shocked me at first then it was what the f#@$ are you doing and who are you! She told me she was from the Census and I explaned that we had allready filled it out, she then told me that they never got it! She asked if I would answer just a couple of questions and asked how many people in the house I told her 2 and then she stareted asking some personal questions I explaned that I would not answer any moer questions and told her to pound salt and slamed the door on her I I explaned that it was all un constatutional, the questions she was asking, so I wonder what will happen??? Bunch of assholes if you ask me!!

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I refuse to take part in this. They come to the house everyday and everyday I either tell them im not answering the questions and slam the door in their face or simply not answer the door at all. Its unconstitutional.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
that is so weird he had to be a scammer that guy was just wack. for sure tell us all y he couldnt be kept never heard of that

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
OK I'm about two years late but this happened to me too! I sent my census report in the same day I got it. Approx. two weeks later some guy came to my home and I met him in my driveway and he proceeded to walk right past me while flashing a badge and telling me he was from the census...He walked up to the entry to my home and scanned my porch and started walking back to his car. I asked what the hell he was scanning my porch for and he said address verification. Approx. two weeks later the census worker came. I asked her about the guy who scanned my porch and she said she had no idea who he was. I wrote my Senators in Washingron about what happened and they never responded. I wrote the State Attorney General...no response. This has been bothering me since it happened. Does anyone know of anything I can do to my porch to counter react the scan. None of my other neighbors or friends have encountered anything like this. I have heard possibly google earth did this I have also heard possible 911 update with GPS. But why hasn't anyone else I know encountered this?

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I filled out the census from as I recall I answered the first few questions about how many people live there and for ethnicity I wrote in American. Born here lived here will die here the hyphens are no longer necessary after say 2 generations.

I never got a visit - then again I live 10 miles off the nearest hard top road and have 4 cattle dogs that meet anyone who shows up about a half mile from the house.

They were either.

1. satisfied with the minimal answers I gave. ( I answered only the first 4 or so questions as the rest had zero to do with enumerating the population.)

or

2) found that it was not worth the drama to drive out into the middle of nowhere to find the place. It doesn't appear on any gps that I know of.

Either way I would have just told them to get lost.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I filled out the census from as I recall I answered the first few questions about how many people live there and for ethnicity I wrote in American. Born here lived here will die here the hyphens are no longer necessary after say 2 generations.

I never got a visit - then again I live 10 miles off the nearest hard top road and have 4 cattle dogs that meet anyone who shows up about a half mile from the house.

They were either.

1. satisfied with the minimal answers I gave. ( I answered only the first 4 or so questions as the rest had zero to do with enumerating the population.)

or

2) found that it was not worth the drama to drive out into the middle of nowhere to find the place. It doesn't appear on any gps that I know of.

Either way I would have just told them to get lost.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by DrJay1975

Same thing happened to me. Female census taker pushed her way into my little apartment.

<< 6  7  8   >>

join