It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Census taker came to my home today...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
They came to our house, we answered the questions, the guy was nice, polite and no he never scanned the door. If the govt. wants to find me I'm sure they can do that already, so I'm not overly concerned about the door scanning thing. On a side note I now have a dot on my mailbox, Lmao.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical
Census takers should be armed and ordered to shoot those that are uncooperative.If you don't want to stand up and be counted as an American then i wish you would move your asses to some other country. It is not COOL to shirk your responsibility as a citizen.

So you are really suggesting that they should be allowed to commit murder, if some one does not cooperate? Really? Is that your idea of the American way of life?

Good lord, no wonder the majority of the world hates us.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical
Census takers should be armed and ordered to shoot those that are uncooperative.If you don't want to stand up and be counted as an American then i wish you would move your asses to some other country. It is not COOL to shirk your responsibility as a citizen.

Is it cool for the Federal Government to continually shirk their responsibilities to the citizens? They make policy and pass legislation that not only is destructive to the average American's way of life, but also goes against what Americans want.

I certainly hope you are not as foolish as you seem. Shoot people who refuse to answer questions?? If that is how you feel, then please at this time post your SS# as well as your name and address. What was that? You don't feel like I need to have that information? Well, I guess you need to live up to your own ideals. I wont shoot you, but since you feel it is the right thing to do, I'm sure you will do the "honorable" thing

I had one of these Census people come to my door. I'm sure they will be back. I answered only one question for them and it was the only question I felt they had a right to ask.... "how many people live in your home?" Which was easy to answer, just me, I live alone. Needless to say the Cenus worker who came to my home received a free history lesson about the Constitution and the right's of Citizens and my right to privacy.

I was given the chance to hear all the excuses, such as "It's the law!" Which of course I was more than happy to point out that states are full of laws that make no sense and only a fool would follow. For instance, in the state of South Carolina it is the law that a husband can beat his wife on the Court House steps on Sundays between the hours of noon and 4pm and the law even includes a specific measurement as to what type of "switch" can be used. Does that mean I should "follow the law" and beat my wife if I am upset? Obviously the answer is no.

I don't give out my info to anyone. If you want my info, come take it.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by romanmel

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
To date I have had 5 visits from the Census Workers. Three of them were Census Takers; two of them were Census Supervisors.

I always enjoy speaking with them, as I am someone who always has lots of interesting things to talk about................

.............I smile, they smile, then they usually ask me how they can learn more about these things, and thank me, put away their clip boards, and go on their merry way!

I have really been enjoying the Census Takers so far! They have really been enjoying me.

Stand up and be counted that’s what I say…just do it in a fashion that works for you and not for them.

ProTrav, you are a piece of work! I love your style. I want you on my side when I face TPTB.

I remember a guy I once worked for who used to handle telemarketers by telling them he was really interested but had to put them on hold for just a bit. He left the on hold. He always said this hurt the telemarketer more than anything. Just take up their valuable time. Same way for BigGov census nazis.

Well as a true and free Roman citizen, I do enjoy the greatest liberties the Empire has to offer.

In fact, it would be morally wrong of me, as a free human being, to submit to these processes.

Oringally Free Citizen meant someone who would not be and could not be directly taxed or restricted by the State, King or Consul or Emperor.

I am simply choosing to retain my freedom, and the root definition of what Free Citizen actually means.

Rome is a lot more hospitable place to live in, once you recognize you are, and actually know the real rules of how Rome works.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
This is one of the many drawbacks, when the government hires ANYONE who will take a job. Especially door to door people, like the census.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
My wife and I also filled out Census info and they returned 3 times in the next two weeks for follow ups! What a friggin waste of time. Is it really necessary to follow up three times....this whole census thing is a little creepy with how pushy they seem to be...maybe others haven't had the same issues happen to them.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by fatetwister64
"UPS receipt"

You used UPS to ship a census form? Didn't those have free shipping return envelopes?

Something smells fishy about this.

Actually you raise an interesting point because the form DOES come with a free shipping return envelope........

OP, what say you?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by gunshooter

Originally posted by TarzanBeta
Wow.

It's amazing how a census can bring out the child in everyone.

What about butterflies and balloons?

is it childish to defend your property from psychos that leap walls and swear at you?

Sure, the census worker acted like a child.

But the OP antagonized the worker. Neither are excused, but the OP, had he been patient, could have avoided the whole thing.

Besides, nothing that the OP did was actually "defending" his property. Even after he was able to successfully get the man off of his property, he made sure to antagonize him further by humiliating him.

I know what it feels like to want to retaliate against stupidity, but it only makes you stupid as well.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sf18443
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Well, the guy was trespassing. The OP has a gated property with intercom system. The Census worker should have rang the intercom at the gate, instead the "census worker" illegally entered this man's property by scaling a wall or whatever(aka trespassed).

Actually the OP never clarified how he got onto his property. But you know, I guess you think the OP's behavior was appropriate because he got to his front door?

I don't think it was. In all honesty they were both acting like macho pig headed jerks...

Hmm, I guess when a little girl comes to your house selling cookies you would respond the same way, Hey she is on your private property.... Or is that different?

Maybe it is just that he was being stubborn and thinks that the census is some evil thing? Who knows, either way, If he didn't want a census taker showing up at his door he should have sent in his form on time. Not 3 weeks ago. about one week after the dead line....

So what would you recommend these census takers do to avoid not going onto peoples door steps? Stand out on the street and yell the questions? because THAT would no doubt be a privacy concern.... and just silly....

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
THREAD NOTICE

Please do not attack your fellow posters. No matter how strongly you may disagree with another's stance, do not resort to personal insults and name calling. The post will be removed.

Keep it passionate but keep it civil.

Thank you.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Proto,

In a certain rendition of "Jesus", played by Jeremy Sisto, Pontius Pilate said this :

"I won't crucify him for that!"

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TarzanBeta

Excuse me the guy was trespassing and tried to push his way in the house. Legally he could have been shot as a trespasser intending harm. The guy was asked to leave and he refused even after a police officer threatened to arrest him. And you think the OP could have handled it better...Sigh!

[edit on 19-5-2010 by hawkiye]

link   
There was a Census taker that came to my house a while back. Going to door to door. He wondered if I was the man of the house, and I said no. He then said, are you above the age of 18. and I said no. (Even though I am 22) Then he left and went to the next house. Easy peezy.

link   

is it childish to defend your property from psychos that leap walls and swear at you?

Is it childish to answer the door by saying they are trespassing and threatening to call the police on them before you even know what the person wants?

My point? Both were behaving like macho pig headed jerks. They were BOTH wrong.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

Is it childish to answer the door by saying they are trespassing and threatening to call the police on them before you even know what the person wants?

My point? Both were behaving like macho pig headed jerks. They were BOTH wrong.

No HE WAS TRESPASSING IN THE MAN'S PROPERTY. The man protecting his property was not wrong the man who breached a security fence and gate and then tried to force his way in the house was wrong and breaking the law. The ignorance of some just astounds me...

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye

Excuse me the guy was trespassing and tried to push his way in the house. Legally he could have been shot as a trespasser intending harm. The guy was asked to leave and he refused even after a police officer threatened to arrest him. And you think the OP could have handled it better...Sigh!

Well as I have said before he could have handled it better by not telling the guy that he is trespassing and threatening to call the police before he even has a clue what the guy wants......

I have said it before and I will say it again. BOTH were wrong. BOTH handled the situation as a child would, and BOTH could have handled it much much better.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I have to say, that I have lived in the New Orleans area for quite some time, and moved to between Gulfport, and Biloxi, because of the idiots in Lousiana.

All the guy had to do, the first time the guy came around, not later, was show the post office receipt, and offer they guy a bottle of water.

Being a butthead gets ya nowhere, and, ahem, who's to say charges won't be filed agains the author of this post?

He should have presented his receipts right away, instead of playing games with an obviously nutty person.

And, having a next door neighbor who is a cop in the middle of it? Crap, don't bother me on my time off! Why didn't you call 911 and get a guy that was on duty, instead of intruding on your neighbor? Quite balzy in my opinion.

I am very upset by the actions of the OP, not being up front with the receipts and keeping this guy coming around, just to do his job. While the OP sat outside his million dollar brick home in a suburb of New Orleans, with all his high tech security, he made life bad, for a census taker.

Way to go............Louisiana is crap, and while I lived there for a long time, people like the author are the reason I never will again.

I hope the census taker sues him to the point he gets the brick home, behind all the security!

edit for typo

[edit on 19-5-2010 by Blanca Rose]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I didn't fill out my census and I had a census employee visit my home. She was pleasant, and it took maybe 3 minutes. Your experience was pretty damn crazy.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

Originally posted by hawkiye

Well as I have said before he could have handled it better by not telling the guy that he is trespassing and threatening to call the police before he even has a clue what the guy wants......

I have said it before and I will say it again. BOTH were wrong. BOTH handled the situation as a child would, and BOTH could have handled it much much better.

Perhaps.

The thing you overlook is the homeowner has a right to be left alone on his property. The intruder has NO RIGHT save he have a warrent to serve. He did not. He declared he had "special rights". Not so. When he entered this person's property without permission, he comitted a crime.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
We never sent in our Census...both my wife and I work 16 hours a day, over 60 hours a week. We don't really have time for it. So a Census lady came by our place, woke me up by pounding on the door and ringing our doorbell. I didn't answer the door....she left a notice to call her.

Next day, neither of us were home and when we got back there was a notice on the door, so my wife calls her and sets up an appointment to meet with her the following day. The following day the lady shows up and my wife lets her in. I was asleep....I had woken up and went out to see what they were doing. Sitting at the dining table and she was hounding my wife with all these questions.

I blatantly interrupted and said "so you're the bitch that was pounding on my door and trying to play a whole song on my doorbell??" And she just looked at me with the "oh sh*t" look on her face. I left the room and she hurried up with her questions and scrambled out.

My wife did find out that she is only a volunteer....so to the OP, it may not be the Census Bureau's fault that you got a nutjob....seems like anyone can volunteer, I don't know.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join