It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grim milestone: 1,000 Americans dead in Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   

On Tuesday, the toll of American dead in Afghanistan passed 1,000, after a suicide bomb in Kabul killed at least five United States service members. Having taken nearly seven years to reach the first 500 dead, the war killed the second 500 in fewer than two. A resurgent Taliban active in almost every province, a weak central government incapable of protecting its people and a larger number of American troops in harms way all contributed to the accelerating pace of death.

The mayhem of last August, coming as Afghans were holding national elections, provided a wake-up call to many Americans about the deteriorating conditions in the country. Forty-seven American G.I.’s died that month, more than double the previous August, making it the deadliest month in the deadliest year of the war.

Full Depressing Story

1 is too many. And now we are at 1,000. And that's just in Afghanistan.

Go here to see all of the pictures of all of the dead servicemen and women from Iraq and Afghanistan.

Nothing more for me to say about this at this point.
Suddenly i don't feel like being on the computer anymore for a bit....

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I don't know how others feel about this statement, but I personally think the President of the United States, whoever he may be, ought to have to site every single night and look at that page from the NY Times and see the pictures of the people who have died in the Middle East ever since this foolish war on terror started...

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Well,what about the 12 innocent Americans that are murdered by illegal aliens daily in the United States?

That is 4000 Americans a year murdered by invaders to this country.

People that should not be here.

Is that not a grimmer statistic,or do the libertards pick and choose their grim statistics?

EVERYONE of those 1000 men and women volunteered to serve their country and to go where and when they were ordered.

They also all knew they could possibly die in the service to their country too.

More American military die each year in accidents than that.

Is that not a tragedy too?

Please give us all rational people a break with the petty statistics.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by Oneolddude]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
When I heard this on the news tonight, I immediately thought of 911 and all of the people who died, all 2976. And then I started thinking about how senseless the whole war is and how most of the public was duped into being all for it.

To me, these 1000 deaths just add to the death toll of 911.... It's like pouring salt on a wound.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Then pull them all out of other countries and put them guarding our borders here.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Maybe it is time to understand war...These are the numbers for one fateful day...June 6 1944...

Now it is understandable that the young folks think this toll of 1000 American dead is outragious, but the cost of freedom is never free...

And war is hell...

i79.photobucket.com...

[edit on 18-5-2010 by TooRisky]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TooRisky

At least then we knew what we were fighting for.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I've only got one thing to say
but it's been said already
in congress

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I know in the grand scheme of things 1,000 isn't a lot of deaths especially compared to death totals for a day in WWII or even something like Antietam or Gettysburg. But what is this war about?

We aren't even sure why it was started. We aren't even sure the person who we initially went to get is even still alive.

This is a pointless waste of human life. And not just Americans. All countries who have sent troops to the Middle East have been affected. Including the innocent people who live in Afghanistan.

We aren't standing up against some great evil like the Axis Powers or the Kaiser. We are there after a false flag operation to go take over the opium and to kill Saddam, something Bush Sr. never could accomplish.

Terror is still terror, whosoever gets to frame the rules

[edit on 18-5-2010 by webpirate]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TooRisky
Maybe it is time to understand war...These are the numbers for one fateful day...June 6 1944...

Now it is understandable that the young folks think this toll of 1000 American dead is outragious, but the cost of freedom is never free...

And war is hell...

Just so we understand here, I'm not one of the young folks. I know full well that freedom isn't free. My father was there the day the The Ludendorff Bridge at Remagen fell into the Rhine river. His brother was killed during the battle for Iwo Jima.

I was born during the escalation of the Vietnam war. I have seen the US Marines killed en masse in Beiruit. I have had friends directly in the first Gulf War and now the second. I even have a very famous friend, even if most people don't know he existed, who was nearly killed during Vietnam, who lost an eye and hearing just a couple of months after he won the Congressional Medal of Honor.

I do not take ANY death lightly when it comes to war. Like I said at the beginning of this thread 1 is too many to lose.

Especially when it is for a pointless reason. We spent all of that time and money in Vietnam. We lost 58,148 Americans who were killed and 304,000 wounded out of 2.59 million who served. And what did it accomplish? Why did they all die?
Why are they still dying?
If anyone thinks 1,000 is not significant, go look at all of the faces of the dead and then tell me that again,

[edit on 18-5-2010 by webpirate]

new topics

top topics

join