It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sex offender lands job as a door-to-door Census Taker

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Just when you thought the government couldn't get any stupider or more dangerous, they go out and make a registered sex offender a door-to-door Census worker.

Mom Recognizes Door-To-Door Census Worker As Sex Offender

PENNSAUKEN, N.J. - If you didn't send back your census form, you may have gotten a knock at the door.

If you live in Camden County, the census worker on the other side of your door might have been Frank Kuni, a convicted sex offender.

How could that happen? Fox 29's Claudia Gomez got some answers.

That the man had a real census ID makes the case stunning.

Amy Schmalbach said, "He had all his census gear with him, the bag and the badge and so forth. And I knew that I had failed to send my census survey in. So, it felt right to answer the door."

She said, "Everything sort of seemed legitimate to me, but the person kept getting a little closer to me as we were talking, and he kept fidgeting – he was just, there was something odd about his demeanor. And in the middle of all this, my son tries to come onto the front porch. And when I turn my back to push him back into the house, I just had this overwhelmingly bad feeling. I've never had that before."

Schmalbach said, "In that moment I felt incredibly like, this man is going to hurt me. He is going to hurt me. And I've never felt that in my life. And that's what made me really start taking notice, who is he and why do I know this face? And that's when it dawned on me, 'Oh my goodness, I think he's the man from the registry.'"

Read more: My Fox Philly

The census people say they gave him his Census ID before his fingerprint background check came back, the day after he completed training. They started looking for him immediately but, it took them 3 days to catch up with him. He's behind bars now.

Check out the type of guy who may be coming to your house soon to make sure you are counted: NJ Sex Offender Registry

Edit to add: The link to Kuni's sex offender page isn't working now.

You can look it up here though: NJ State Police: New Jersey Sex Offender Internet Registry

[edit on 5/18/10 by FortAnthem]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
wow! why did they give him the stuff before the fingerprints came back? thats retarded!

thank god for the subconcious and how it always seems to come through for you in these cases.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I found this run down of the security precautions the Census people take to protect the voting public:

Stand up and be counted... by a sex offender

Applicants must pass a written test and a check of their Social Security number and date of birth, among other things.

Then, new hires take an oath and get fingerprinted on the first day of training. Fingerprints are sent within a day to an Indiana census center.

If the background check finds something, regional offices get electronic messages that someone should be removed, but not the details.

The order trickles down to a field supervisor.

So the end result is that a criminal could apply to be a Census worker and due an almost certain overload of paperwork by some government employee, get a job and go from door to door. Not only is this scheming criminal, Kuni, at fault here but also the Census Bureau themselves. How could they put the lives of Philadelphians and other people in the country at danger by forgoing this faulty safeguard?

Read more: The Examiner

Makes you feel real good knowing our government has such stringent safety precautions in place.

[edit on 5/18/10 by FortAnthem]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
The problem with this is that you would think people would be SHOCKED!! that this happened. Thing is at least to me its becoming common place if not excepted by nearly every power structure whether it be political corporate or religious power structure in the US.

When there are no moral absolutes you simply rely on mans ever changing views on what is or is not acceptable.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Wow! This is scary. I can't believe they gave him the ID without getting his background info first.

Maybe this will give some people another reason not to answer the door to the census workers.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Luckily it was only a 50 year old women who did my "follow up" door to door deal. She did give me the eyeball when i told her the number of people in my house and bid her good day. Her response was "so your not going to answer the other questions?". After repeating the number of people in my household and bid her a good day again she got the picture.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I'm suprised this one didn't get much interest.

Some creep with a history of fondeling children gets a job going door to door doing census work and nobody cares?

I guess the obnoxious pushy census takers are the ones who get all the attention.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
I'm suprised this one didn't get much interest.

Some creep with a history of fondeling children gets a job going door to door doing census work and nobody cares?

I guess the obnoxious pushy census takers are the ones who get all the attention.

This should have gotten more media attention. But then people would start being even more hostile & uncooperative with the nosy, intrusive census takers.

Let's just be thankful that no kids were hurt. Of course, I'd be worried that this guy now knows where some "fresh meat" lives, once he gets out of jail.

join