It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Statues Suddenly Vanishing From Tehran - Sign Of Imminent Iran War?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I find this strange news from Iran Focus, media what I have followed some time now, and seen its quite good news source and mostly anti-government, or at least doubtful against it.

Tehran, May 18 - There has been a sudden disappearance of monuments paying tribute to prominent historic Iranian figures in recent days from parks and public squares in Tehran. Simultaneously, state-run dailies talk of plans to dedicate portions of the capital’s green space to memorials displaying the statues of those killed in the 1980-88 Iran-Iraq war for “millions of citizens.” An investigation by Iran Focus has found that the two may very well be linked. More to follow on Wednesday.

www.iranfocus.com...:the-mystery-behind-vanishing-statues&catid=4:iran-general&Itemid=11

This reminds me from documentaries about London and Moscow at the time of WW2, where statues and art collections was moved to safe locations before bombings begun.

Maybe nothing, but when taking notion very tense politics around Iran, I see this can be also very bad sign too. Just have to follow this story later, like article said...

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Wish there were pictures to go along with it... Not that i dont believe it, but i think it would help us better figure out the full story.

If Iran is really moving a bunch of historic monuments and statues into storage or hiding, than i would definitely think that could be an indication of them at least expecting to be attacked.

Could easily backfire though...

Suppose Israel finds the bunker or warehouse or whatever it may be that is storing all of those... would only take one bomb to destroy a nation's worth of monuments rather than a bunch of separate ones.

link   
That is interesting. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not, but I saw this article where they are reporting that some statues were being stolen. Khaleej Times

But with the way things are shaping up the theft story could just be a cover for them expecting the sky to start falling any time.

link   
War will break out soon in the middle east. It's a powder keg that cannot continue on its presence course. Combine that with this false sense of recovery in the US economy. The US economy is going to get much worse before it gets better. And mother nature is pissed off as well. Gulf oil spill, volcanoes, record hail. hang on folks!

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Gamecock

You remember Irans presidents recent evacuation of Tehran because possible earthquakes... "Stolen statues theory" goes well with this kind of stories ---

Connecting the dots can always backfire

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
This is indeed interesting. Are they being removed for a reason, such as to protect them from destruction, or are they being stolen?

This is a sentence from the link Wayne60 provided, from the Khaleej Times:

A strict interpretation of Islam bans the depiction of human form in art.

Guess time will tell. Interesting though. Even if there is a mass theft of these underway, this is "telling" in itself.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wayne60
That is interesting. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not, but I saw this article where they are reporting that some statues were being stolen. Khaleej Times

But with the way things are shaping up the theft story could just be a cover for them expecting the sky to start falling any time.

This is a good article, and I suggest anyone who has not read it, do so.
You're absolutely right, I think. It's a puzzlement!

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Ive tried ten times... All I get is this:

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01a8' Object required: 'sn' /DisplayArticleNew.asp, line 279

Can you make a copy/paste, or is it too long to post here?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
This could be why, its the Brits!

www.farsnews.com...

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

Here you go JanusFIN From Khaleej Times

Thieves steal 11 bronze statues in Iran’s capital
(AP)

5 May 2010
TEHRAN, Iran — A local official says 11 bronze statues have been stolen from public parks in Tehran over the past month, and that religious motives appear to be behind the thefts.

Officials say that over the past few weeks unknown culprits have used heavy equipment to remove statues of Iranian national heroes and famous artists from their pedestals and carted them off.

The official IRNA news agency quotes Tehran city council official Morteza Talaei as saying Wednesday that the theft appears to be “an organized act” by a group that feels the statues violate “their religious and cultural beliefs.”

A strict interpretation of Islam bans the depiction of human form in art.

The thefts have prompted city officials to postpone erecting new statues in the Iranian capital.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Wayne beat me to it!

But see the reason for confusion....after all these years, maybe even decades, why now? Why decide now they are inappropriate?

And which group decided it? And is this another lie from the government?

[edit on 5/18/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Wayne60

Thanks to both of you!

This story just made me sleep better tonight
- Usually wildest findings will backfire, "but hey" - this seeking for truth is our entertainment.

... And I really dont want that war!!!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Hm. They waited until eleven of these were carted off with heavy equipment before they thought to post security?

It doesn't make sense how they could have taken so many without detection.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Maybe about to test their nuke near Tehran.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   

From central parks - without government trucks and people, police protection - just impossible.

Try to steal statue in your country. I think after minutes since you have stop your truck there is first to ask from you : "What are you doing..."

Driving a truck in middle of the night with well known statue in your back - and no calls to police? But not once - do that more than 11 times...

- With this thief theory we all can just sleep our nights much better!

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Interesting.

Although let's not remember that Iran plans to move some 5 million people out of Tehran because of the earthquakes and what not, perhaps they want to move the important art to those new places?

I'm assuming they will be building new communities as they are offering low interest loans to those who want to move to purchase land and jump start a bit of the economy.

Then again, Iran should be worried about Israel or the US starting war proceedures, with the sanctions being applied and no sign of cooperation from the government in Iran.

Things are certainly escalating.

~Keeper

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
It may just be copper thieves as copper is the main ingredient in bronze. In my hometown someone recently stole a life size bronze statue from someones grave. The idiots tried to chop it into pieces to sell as scrap metal, but the scrap yard is always on the lookout for strange things and they got caught

Are there more stories like this one about the theft of the previous statues? If many statues have gone missing over a period of a month and this is the first report then I would think it isn't theft at all or the other statues would have made the news earlier. Not to mention that if I was a police officer and expensive statues were being stolen I would be camped out close to one waiting for the next theft.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Yes, of course we could sleep better....if it were believable. They would have to had orchestrated a great "heist" in which they were all taken at the same time.

Otherwise once one came down it wouldn't have taken the police long to figure out what was going on, and put the rest under surveillance.

They let it happen.

It just doesn't add up.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRoadLessTraveled

You said:

Not to mention that if I was a police officer and expensive statues were being stolen I would be camped out close to one waiting for the next theft.

Exactly.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

As we have seen here on ATS many times common sense is not a strong suit for many LEO's. My best friends dad was a cop and he tried to convince his son to become one by describing how great a job it was. He said, and I quote because I could never forget it, "you get to sleep all day until someone drives by you fast enough to wake up. Then you write them a ticket and go back to sleep". I kid you not, so it may be a case of the Keystone Cops trying to stop the thefts.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join