It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burka Rage -- Female Lawyer Rips Veil off Muslim woman

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
But shouldn't the Muslim women who CHOOSE to wear a burqa be allowed to?
Definitely not when entering a bank. And any business which has cash and could be subjected to robbery for that matter.

If they want to put one on inside their mosque, I'm not sure the proposed legislation in France would ban that.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
That's total propaganda.

They just started asking you not to wear hoods hats for safety reasons. Yeah as if that prevents crime in the slightest. And people hop on the bandwagon. Its total poppycock!

Think critically for a second (I know it hurts).

Anyone robbing or commiting a terrorist act in a bank is going to wear whatever the crap they want and its not going to make a bit of difference to the outcome. I could walk in with a vest full of c4 what difference does it make whether its covered by a burka or not.

Its more fearmongering at its finest. Anything having to do with dress should be up to the person.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by ISHAMAGI]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by pro-all
P Anybody who truely loves freedopm should support a ban of this horrible dress.

If we love freedom we should ban people from doing certain things that make us uncomfortable?

Interesting logic....anyway:

Some of these woman CHOOSE to wear burkas because it is what they were taught. Some are forced to wear I don't agree with it and I think it is ridiculous but who the hell am i to tell someone to do something completely against their wishes because I'm uncomfortable with it.

As for kids getting freaked out...that's why educating them is important. Let them know you dont' agree with it but that is what they chose to do and since we love FREEDOM we can't tell them they can't wear a certain clothing.

I don't understand this idea of conforming to the culture of the country, but then I'm an America and America is a melting pot for all kinds of different cultures. Unlike France, where there is mainly a specific culture. However, with that said, the world is a different place. Globalization is making many things change including the mixing of cultures. There's bound to be some backlash, but ripping off someone's burka to reveal the person underneath when the burka is SPECIFICALLY to keep them hidden is an abomination in my opinion and very disrespectful.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ISHAMAGI

You're totally missing the point.

Yes robberies can be commited with or without a burqa or any other disguise, so you're right about that.

However, the difference is, the security cams can be used to identify the robber if they aren't wearing a disguise (or a burqa). Regarding burqa robberies I posted about earlier, authorities aren't even sure if the robbers were men or women.

And yes if someone blows themselves up with a vest of C-4, there's nobody left to prosecute so it really doesn't matter what they are wearing, but that makes me wonder, are there really many suicide bombers outside the Muslim faith? Maybe it's just the news biasing me but it seems like all the suicide bombers I hear about in the news are Muslim. And if someone is going to blow themselves up, it's probably easier to fit more explosives under a burqa compared to attire that is less reminiscent of a mobile tent. So even in that case, I still think the burqa is more dangerous than a scarf.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
First off, let me just state that I in no possible way condone violence, nor do I appreciate the actions of the french lawyer, regardless of her personal history/beliefs.

That said, people need to realize that a burqa, in it's official presentation, is a full-body garment, not a head-dress, as some state. I can fully appreciate freedom of religion, every man, woman and child should be able to choose, but that does not include dress behaviour. Religion is private, yes, walking in public is not private. There are no law in my country, for example, that prohibits me from creating my own religion. However, there are tons of laws to follow, on use of symbols on buildings, garments, flags, etc... Here, you can't wear gang colors, gang suits, gang flags, swastikas are illegal, etc... I'm all for head dresses and the likes, if that is what the women of the muslim world wants. I just hope that people that are ignorant of the fact that a full body garment, regardless of it being a burqa, in any non-muslim country, poses a "threat" of some kind. Just as I would imagine muslim men would feel, if we just let women walk in bikinis down a main street in a muslim city. Probably not the best example, but kind of, because I think it is the same spark. It's provocative.

I am in no way a racist, I have friends from all over the planet, and I really appreciate diversity. And for the sake of stirring the pot, I have asked ten muslim friends, how they feel about full-body garments, and all ten would like to see it banned alongside gang accessories, swastikas etc... Our government chose not to forbid burqas here, because we have under 10 women in this country wearing burqas. Still I root for banning, it is a matter of principles.

Those that question why the lawyer did what she did, my strongest guess would be that a sense of "freedom fight" rose in her. Women have fought hard for their rights the last 40 yrs. Before that women had no rights. I guess she couldn't stand to see an example of that brought to her world in the form of a burqa.

There, my ramblings are over, thank you for reading.

Love and Light

Joe

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

So she can walk around public hiding her self from others , but if I walked into a store covering myself with a suit, maybe a costume to hide who I was , couldn't I be arrested for some reason or other ?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Definitely not when entering a bank. And any business which has cash and could be subjected to robbery for that matter.

Would you then support strip searches, groapings or the new x-ray machines for everyone entering the banks? If not, why not? It would make the bank safer. Where do you draw the line between trading liberty for security?

--airspoon

[edit on 19-5-2010 by airspoon]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
Where do you draw the line between trading liberty for security?

You draw the line at different places for different situations. Are you for stopping the use of metal detectors at airports?

At banks you draw the line at making people show their faces when they enter.

At the airport, there isn't really a line, people only really have two choices, they can consent to any and all metal detectors or searches if they want to fly, or they can refuse to submit to the searches, leave the airport and take alternate transportation.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

Wha?? Noone has the right to tell someone else how to dress, whether u agree with it or not. What do u find so monstrous about it? Why do u care how someone else dresses or lives their life if it doesnt affect/harm anyone else? Some of these women choose to wear these garments and are capable of choosing for themselves and would shed them if they wanted. It's pregudice, pure and simple. The problem with this world is that everyone is worried about what the other person is doing. Ppl in general should gear their attention to more important things, like improving the world in which we live, like accepting others and respect their personal choices, like embracing diversity.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
WOW, WOW!!!

At last someone standing up for reason.

Well DONE to the French Woman Lawyer. I have just gained some deep respect for the french (and coming from a brit thats something)

Everyone must look at this and say this is CORRECT and just.

No more ninja masks for these people.

Otherwise im wearing my Balaclava out from now on which will scare people to and make me look just as stupid.

WELL DONE again to the French Lawyer woman. We need more people like her.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dock9
reply to post by ToneDeaf

Host countries can and should expect immigrants (who leap at the chance to grab welfare, free housing, education and all the other goodies they can't earn at home) to conform with the host population

Those unprepared to conform need not apply

Those who make a POINT of not conforming must expect and accept the consequences

Why do so many people have this misunderstanding? Religions HAVE NO COUNTRY. France does not have an official religion, and they are multicultural. They are French Muslims, simple.

However the burqa, like any other despicable vestigial religious nonsense, has no place in ANY society, and I wholeheartedly welcome bans on burqas, just as I would welcome a ban on stoning your children to death for disobeying you. (That is a Biblical command of God, but Christians realized it's wrong)

And to boot, it's definitely a security hazard. If the burqa held some sacred value, I'd consider defending it. But, the whole point of the burqa is based on the assumption that men are lowly dogs, and it's women's fault if they arouse the beasts. Disgusting practice.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85
if I walked into a store covering myself with a suit, maybe a costume to hide who I was , couldn't I be arrested for some reason or other ?

Could you?

What law would that be?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoeSignal
I am in no way a racist, I have friends from all over the planet, and I really appreciate diversity. And for the sake of stirring the pot, I have asked ten muslim friends, how they feel about full-body garments, and all ten would like to see it banned alongside gang accessories, swastikas etc... Our government chose not to forbid burqas here, because we have under 10 women in this country wearing burqas. Still I root for banning, it is a matter of principles.

For the sake of stirring the pot, source? Or I will have to publish my 100 muslim friends who love wearing the burqa.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85
if I walked into a store covering myself with a suit, maybe a costume to hide who I was , couldn't I be arrested for some reason or other ?

Could you?

What law would that be?

Mask Laws

It appears, however, that in many states wearing a mask, not just on Halloween, represents a misdemeanor or class 6 felony in certain situations. These laws are broken up into two distinct types: one carries a blanket restriction on wearing costumes that fully or partially obstruct your face while in public and the other prohibits a face-obstructing costume in public while engaged in certain activities. For the most part these laws are also limited in their application to individuals over the age of 16, more than likely to account for trick-or-treating.

In the US, the laws vary by state, and sometimes even by locality, like city.

Here's some information on New York's anti-mask law, for example:

www.nlgnyc.org...

The way I read that, is that two women in burqas can stand in line at an ATM without getting arrested. As soon as the third burqa-clad woman enters the line, all three are subject to arrest.

Spiderman could get away with his costume in NY because he was by himself.

But the laws in other states are different, so be aware of the laws in your area before putting on your superhero costume

[edit on 19-5-2010 by Arbitrageur]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
For the sake of stirring the pot, source?
Or I will have to publish my 100 muslim friends who love wearing the burqa.

Fair enough.

I'm sorry, I don't have any published material with my personal friends statements in it. Just for the record,if I asked 100 muslim friends, I would probably end up with probably 20-25% wanting to keep the burqa (my personal guess). Probably the same, if I asked non-muslims, as many hold their ground for the sake of beliefs, not to be mistaken with religious beliefs.

There is no sane reason to be wearing a burqa, not because of religion, not because of suppression, not because of anything. In the old times we blew smoke up each others behinds, but we don't do that anymore, except vice-presidents and certain ceo's that is. Tobacco smoke enema

Peace and Love

Joe

[edit on 19/5/10 by JoeSignal]

[edit on 19/5/10 by JoeSignal]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Thanks. Seems there are 4 states that have these laws. And as I said before, I can't disagree with this. I believe that people in public should be identifiable, should someone commit a crime or be needed as a witness or something.

The situation is France, or at least as it's represented by their president, is all about women's dignity and protecting the women by telling them what they can't wear.

If they want to punish the custom because it's demeaning, they should go after the men, not strip the women of what they feel comfortable wearing in public. I can imagine MANY of these women will not be comfortable to leave their homes after this. Great move for the freedom of women!!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

Seriously, I would have punched that lawyer.

Someone still should.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by dalan.

Someone still should.

I think the Muslim woman DID punch her. That's why she was arrested as well as the lawyer.

The fact that she DID punch the lawyer shows that she WANTED the burqa on. She defended her choice to wear it in that instant.

[edit on 5/19/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by dalan.

Someone still should.

I think the Muslim woman DID punch her. That's why she was arrested as well as the lawyer.

The fact that she DID punch the lawyer shows that she WANTED the burqa on. She defended her choice to wear it in that instant.

[edit on 5/19/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

Good for her. While I do not agree with the Muslim religion whatsoever, nor any religion for that matter, I am very glad that she stood up for herself and her natural rights.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

IF this discussion comes down to exactly what you said (and very well put by the way) about about how people should be identifiable in public, then I couldn't object by any means and it makes perfect sense.

Anyway, in regards to THIS SPECIFIC story (which I think the thread has been derailed a bit), this woman didn't seem to be worried about security. In my opinion, she was being intolerant and I do not think her actions are excusable. I don't know what France's laws are, but in America, she could and should be charged with assault, at the most.

edit to add before being attacked for suggesting she be charged with something, my comments were based on the lawyers own comments:

(from same source as OP)

A female lawyer allegedly ripped another woman's burka off in a clothes shop - and told her to 'clear off to your own country'.

At one point the lawyer, who was out with her daughter, is said to have likened the Muslim woman to Belphegor - a horror demon character well known to French television viewers.

Given this information, she was clearly not concerned about the security of the store and the people in it.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by nunya13]

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join