It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burka Rage -- Female Lawyer Rips Veil off Muslim woman

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

A 60-year-old female lawyer ripped a Muslim woman's Islamic veil off during a row in what French police described as the first known case of ‘burqa rage’.

The astonishing scene unfolded in a clothes shop in France when the pair came to blows before being arrested.

The 26-year-old Muslim convert was walking through the store in Trignac, near Nantes, in the western Loire-Atlantique region, when she overhead the lawyer making ‘snide remarks about her black burqa'.

A police officer added: ‘The lawyer said she was not happy seeing a fellow shopper wearing a veil and wanted the ban introduced as soon as possible.’
At one point the lawyer, who was out with her daughter, is said to have likened the Muslim woman to Belphegor - a horror demon character well known to French television viewers.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

The photo at the link shows what the source describes as a burqua

Personally, I do regard it as grotesque and can understand the emotions it aroused in the female French lawyer. After all, the burqua doesn't conform with French culture and is ... let's be honest ... a monstrosity

Fine if muslim women want to go around draped in something akin to a large bedspread or tablecloth --- in their own countries

But I hope the French pursue eradication of this garment -- which is ghastly on so many levels --- within France

[edit on 18-5-2010 by Dock9]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Wow. Talk about sheep obeying what the farmer wants.

Any law, to state anything with appearance, is complete propaganda, and should be taken out of all law books everywhere.

+11 more 
posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Why do some people get so hot and bothered at what others choose to do, if that choice does not affect them in any way what-so-ever? Who cares if this women or any other women wants to wear a burqa? How does it affect you or anyone else? Shouldn't people be worrying about themselves instead of others, especially when they have their own obvious shortcomings? Jeez people, worry about yourselves and not what choice of clothing your neighbor chooses to wear!

--airspoon

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I can't help but wonder what the people who work in banks think when they see someone walk in with their heads completely wrapped up?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I agree with the burqa ban, its a safety hazard. Though for some reason I can't help but wonder what the lawyer was wearing. I wonder how this will end up. It would be interesting to hear personal accounts from both people instead of jumping on the lawyer. I want to hear from her exactly why she did it and what drove her to do so.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Wayne60

"Whoever shall trade a little liberty for a little security, deserves neither and will lose both" --Ben Franklin

That is just simply the price of freedom. People being frightened in banks is not as important as freedom of religious expression, just as we don't want cops to search and detain everyone at checkpoints across the country, even though it would make us that much more secure. The old cliche, "freedom isn't free" is absolutely true because you do have to give up some security among other things, in order to preserve liberty and freedom.

--airspoon

+4 more 
posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
The burqa is a symbol of slavery. It's not 'fashion'. It's oppression.

And yes, if a saw a woman walking down the street in chains, I'd yank them off too, even if that's what she thought she wanted to wear.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Actually I agree with you. It does not affect me one way or the other what they wear. I can respect their beliefs. I do know that I have seen signs at bank entrances requiring anyone entering their facility to remove any and all head coverings.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I guess lawyers are scoundrels regardless of nationality and sex...

That woman had no right to put her hands on another person. She deserved the face-full of fist given to her by the Muslim woman.

+1 more 
posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Jadette

You have zero right to control what other people do with their lives, by you doing such a thing you would be no different from the very oppressors you claim to fight. :shk:

---

If someone wants to walk around in green Jello, so be it. They aren't affecting my life, I see no reason to insert my beliefs into theirs.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Well, freedom is freedom, and the lawyer is free to express her displeasure.

We use social pressure and public condemnation all the time in all societies, including Muslim societies.

In many Muslim countries, if her dress was out of line with the standards of the country she might be dragged off somewhere and lashed or even killed. She should be glad she lives in a moderate country where flouting the societal rules only gets her into a little scuffle.

+1 more 
posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
Well, freedom is freedom, and the lawyer is free to express her displeasure.

No that is called assault and allowing people to do such things at will just because it "offends them" is anarchy.

We use social pressure and public condemnation all the time in all societies, including Muslim societies.

Social pressure is not equivalent to assault.

In many Muslim countries, if her dress was out of line with the standards of the country she might be dragged off somewhere and lashed or even killed. She should be glad she lives in a moderate country where flouting the societal rules only gets her into a little scuffle.

What is up with that tonight? "But 'so and so' does 'such and such' so..." No. Just because in a repressed country something worse can happen does not mean that something lighter becomes more tolerable.

Good grief.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I thought this website was about denying ignorance.

It is ignorant to tell somebody what they can or cannot wear.

For God's sake it is her religion!

If her religion told her to walk around naked that's her right. Of course then it wouldn't be about women it would be objectifying them, and everyone would mandate laws that women cover up (oh wait, we already have those in most places..decency laws)

I'm just saying let her wear a head scarf. You know, instead of being totalitarian.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by niteboy82

And yet you are a moderator, telling people what to do with their lives on this board, and restricting peoples free expression if they go too far.

When you CHOOSE to belong to a society, (just like when you CHOOSE to join ATS) that very choice makes you not free. Every society has rules, sometimes codified, often unspoken, that the members of that society conform to or they are ostracized or otherwise penalized.

Pretending that people have EVER, even in the freest of free societies, been able to disregard societal expectations is disingenuous.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
What I feel about rights to wear a this in a western equal nation is mixed, I support the ban for its abuse of me and psychological damage to my children to witness, but its a tough issue for respect has to be both ways.

I in no way support anyone laying their hands on another and ripping off their clothing, headgear or anything. That first action was assault and I can't blame the other woman for retaliating.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Absolutely no defense. Outrageous.

This lawyer needs to be behind bars for assault, plain and simple. The burqua is just a sub part of the crime committed. Assault is the main deal. How can this act be justified by anyone?

I cannot STAND punks who wear pants hanging to their knees. But would I DARE DREAM of yanking them off?? My God, how can anyone support the violent perp who did this? There is no logical way to do so and not be a condoner of violence against women.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by niteboy82

Really? Because in MY reading of the article, it seemed to me that the lawyer was saying what she wanted to, and the Muslim woman attacked HER physically.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

A spokesman for Trignac police said that ‘two complaints had been received’, with the Muslim woman accusing the lawyer of racial and religious assault. The latter, in turn, had accused her opponent of common assault.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
And yet you are a moderator, telling people what to do with their lives on this board, and restricting peoples free expression if they go too far.

I don't tell anyone what to do with their lives. Nice try at the moderator jab, and last I checked this is a privately-owned site.

Every society has rules, sometimes codified, often unspoken, that the members of that society conform to or they are ostracized or otherwise penalized.

Social ostracizing and social penalties are not on par with assault. I see people wearing clothing I think is silly or downright dumb pretty often, it doesn't mean that I can run up to them and pull it off. What repressed society are you hailing from?

Pretending that people have EVER, even in the freest of free societies, been able to disregard societal expectations is disingenuous.

Again, *sigh* freedom of expression does not go as far as allowing assault. You can't just go up to someone and rip their clothing off, I don't care what sort of society you choose to place yourself in. And that has nothing to do with being disingenuous, that has a lot more to do with common sense and decency.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

You can't win this one...

She had some nasty things said to her, she acted out of emotion and *wrongly* attacked the lawyer. Just for doing so, the person being attacked didn't need to *wrongly* attack back.

This is not a elementary school playground, this is the real world.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82

I don't tell anyone what to do with their lives. Nice try at the moderator jab, and last I checked this is a privately-owned site.

So are countries.

We draw those little lines on the maps because the area inside the land belongs to the people who live inside those little lines.

And yes you do, and it wasnt a jab. I just dislike people pretending that they are really supporters of absolute freedom. None of us are. Its a ridiculous idea and societies dont work that way now, nor have they ever worked that way.

And a moderator is someone who enforces rules, not someone who oversees absolute freedom.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join