It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers can turn your car into a death trap

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Hackers can turn your car into a death trap

U.S. researchers have hacked into the cars computer systems and taken control of the brakes and engine while the driver was a helpless witness.

People who manage to break into the cars computer systems can totally take over the management of a wide range of functions. This claim was made by researchers at the universities of Washington and San Diego, USA.

Through a long series of experiments they demonstrated how to use a computer to take control over the computer that is connected to the vehicle's diagnostic function. In this way they were able to take over the car's basic functions without even sitting in it, and without the driver of the car to intervene.

Read the report here

[edit on 18-5-2010 by noroman]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
You should maybe include more info, quotes, your opinion and other info to get us into the reading / or just follow the rules... (maybe I'm wrong)

But I already knew about this subject anyways.. it's very scary when you think about it!!

[edit on 18-5-2010 by jolois]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
When I read the thread title I thought it was going to say people hack into satnavs so that drivers take wrong turns off piers etc

That report is interesting tho, im sure all the elite chauffeur driven cars will install top security.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jolois

Done

Thou my english could be better.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I wonder if this is how Government Motors brought down toyota???

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Wow, an amazing tool for the government agencies to use when they want to eliminate people while making it look like an accident.

Maybe Toyotas have already been 'hacked'?

Toyota, an enemy of the state?

Are you?

Sudden acceleration and breaks failing! both computer controlled.... Go figure.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Very interesting; thanks for posting.

I know several years ago the Japanese had developed
some sort of handheld electronic zapper that would for example
disable the blasting music in a car within a reasonable distance from you in traffic; don't believe they ever developed it to the mass markets,
but I would might have bought one
if they did; think the price was going to be fairly high though. I have to do some followup on that
now that I am thinking about it again.

Good post!

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Great way to take care of car thieves.

Just set it up and if your car is stolen you can get even.

Add a GPS function and you could even go to the accident site and watch them pull the thief from the car.

Just make sure the insurance is paid up.

Or it could work to get rid of a EX.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
The researchers emphasize that one does not need physical access to the car to access. They point out that cars have a range of wireless systems that can be used as a gateway. The researchers mention both audio systems, navigation systems and communications systems as potential gateways to the car's electronics.

Scary as hell if you ask me

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by noroman

Better yet GM has OnStar, which can remotely access any and all vehicle on board computers.

Of course they claim it is only used for diagnostics, accident detection etc. Or to unlock your car for you!

But that same system can be used to remotely access any vehicle by VIN code tied to any owner (with personal info) from any computer anywhere.

Only need access codes and software.

New cars have a network of computers that control everything now, some even have passive steering controls (to prevent rollover) some of those have had 'failures' recently that caused the steering wheel to freeze up.

All engine systems are computer controlled, breaking systems are electronically and computer controlled, automatic transmissions are computer controlled, even the electric windows are computer controlled (when a motor is going bad it sets a fault code)... The door locks are computer controlled... Ask OnStar, if you lock your keys in your car, no problem, they can hit a key on a computer and unlock your car for you.... Maybe someone else could lock you in.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by noroman
The researchers emphasize that one does not need physical access to the car to access. They point out that cars have a range of wireless systems that can be used as a gateway. The researchers mention both audio systems, navigation systems and communications systems as potential gateways to the car's electronics.

They never demonstrated being able to do so, though. The paper uses a laptop plugged into the vehicle's CAN bus. It would have been more dramatic if they'd managed to do it over the Bluetooth link.

BTW, automotive BT links are horribly unprotected, I have a program that will let you link any of them going down the road to listen to the conversations in the car.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I flagged and starred your post, noro. But cant say they really expect us to buy all of that.
Interesting report, but most of it seems unreasonable.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
An example?

What if your car began to accelerate unexpectedly?

Turn it off? Take it out of gear? hit the Breaks?

What if none of that worked and your car accelerated to 100 mph?

Would you jump out?

What would you do?

Please click the source link on the following item and read the full story, and listen to the frantic 911 call available on the source page.

www.momlogic.com...

A California highway patrol officer and three family members were killed when their loaner car's accelerator stuck and they crashed going 100 mph. The audio of the 911 call made from the car moments before the crash has just been released.

A 45 year old HIGHWAY PATROL officer with his family in the car!

He could not stop it.

Please click the link, and listen to that call, then ask yourself, what would you have done?

This was a highway patrol officer, in a loner car.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by Fractured.Facade]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
www.wired.com...

If your car has OnStar, Tele Aid, Assist, or On Call Plus, the feds can listen in and hear every thing you say.
And if the feds can do this some hacker will find out how to.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Maybe it's a good idea to read the whole report, before making a comment? The researchers made contact with the computer system, without having physical contact.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Just Wondering
I wonder if this is how Government Motors brought down toyota???

Bamm!
That was my first thought too.
They probably synced it up to some X box somewhere and some nerdy kid ended up crashing a Lexus / Toyota while playing a freakin video game, never knowing it was not a game.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Damn, It's bad enough when hackers expose NSA back-doors in Windoze operating systems, but shame on them for exposing the CIA's best kept secret method of assassinating undesirables.

Edit: Do you really want to keep your OnStar ?

[edit on 18-5-2010 by zzombie]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by The sceptic
reply to post by Bedlam

Maybe it's a good idea to read the whole report, before making a comment? The researchers made contact with the computer system, without having physical contact.

Actually, not so much. I'll point it out for you:

"For these experiments, one of us drove the car while three others drove a chase car on a parallel service road; one person drove the chase car, one documented much of the process on video, and one wirelessly controlled the test car via an 802.11 ad hoc connection to a laptop in the test car that in turn accessed its CAN bus."

In case you don't understand that paragraph, what they did was jack into the target car's network (CAN bus) with a laptop. The laptop did all the extraneous bus activity. That laptop, in turn, was managed via an ad hoc network using a WiFi card to the chase car. At no time was the target car controlled via some onboard wireless connection of its own - as I stated, quite accurately I might add - it was controlled by a local laptop jacked into the CAN bus.

Perhaps you should work on reading the stuff that gets posted for content instead of looking for key words.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by zzombie

Damn, It's bad enough when hackers expose NSA back-doors in Windoze operating systems, but shame on them for exposing the CIA's best kept secret method of assassinating undesirables.

Edit: Do you really want to keep your OnStar ?
[edit on 18-5-2010 by zzombie]

Nah, the CIA's best kept secret for assassinating undesirables is by taking them down with a veiling glare laser when they're flying small aircraft. It worked so well for Wellstone and Kennedy.

The cops' best kept secret is that they can listen in on the internal conversations in the car over the Bluetooth link, as long as they're within about 100 feet. That narc-looking guy in the next car over? Listening to you.

Actually, they can talk to you too, but that's much less useful.

top topics

join