It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are the LIberal Up to something????????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Please share:

If you know of a family earning less than $40,000 a year with an honor student graduating from high school soon, Harvard University wants to pay the tuition. The prestigious university recently announced that from now on undergraduate students from low-income families can go to Harvard for free...no tuition and no student loans!

To find out more about Harvard offering free tuition for families making less than $40,000 a year visit Harvard's financial aid web site at: The annoucement is on the front page.

adm-is.fas.harvard.edu... or call Harvard University's financial aid office at (617) 495-1581.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 11:30 PM
link   
What a great program! No tuition for 40k and under and reduced tuition for 40-60k. Thanks for the link. Hope more universities follow Harvard's example.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I thought some might see it that way.............pass it on.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 11:42 PM
link   
That would be a good way to motivate low-income kids to improve their education. If they learn and perform well enough, they can go to one of the most prestigious universities in the world for free!!! Awesome

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   
46k is the current USA median income.................almost 1/2 of the children of US families income qualify

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 12:35 AM
link   
GOOD. See, we don't need the government to fund our kids or us. Private groups give some great options.

We need more groups, colleges, companies, churches, etc to step up a bit and take the reins from the fed.

More money in our pockets means more money to spend.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
GOOD. See, we don't need the government to fund our kids or us.

Krazy! You disappoint me. Is all you think about is yourself? And how the charity and 'RESPONSIBILITY' and committment of others to helping to better society can save you a few pennies from your contribution to paying your fair share of the expenses associated with the 'maintenance and up-keep of our society! Shocking!

I'm dissappointed with you. I thought you were bigger then that...........

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Darn!!!!!!!!! I don't qualify and my daughter is already on her third year, my son he is not genius like her sister, let me correct that, she is gifted he is mentally challeged.

That’s a good thing they are doing, I wonder if they will label this students as the, poor students that even when they are smart they will not make it in a good institution of learning without our condescending help.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Not in the least...........the 'currency in trade' .......is their intellect, which was authenticated with their admission………

As with those accepted to Med. School who can walk into and bank and get a deferred payment loan - no questions asked - for outrageous amounts of money, these Ivy's can expect a similar type of acceptance from the schools

One might call the treatment they receive as ‘pampered’…………….

They lack for little less then nothing. The only limiting factor is one's failure to make your needs known..........a state of being which they quickly learn to shed.............

If a student does not have the economic ability to have those other necessary extras i.e. computer, Internet access, tutors, and the like………….it is provided, no questions asked. THEY lack little of anything.

Their college ‘experience’ is far beyond anything your average college student in any other institution in the USA will experience.

At first glance, some might judge such treatment as "SPOILING" a student......... a policy which is topsy-turvy to just who is of authority…….. But the principle employed in the long term pays handsome dividends………….These Ivy’s all have multi-billion dollar endowments mostly the result of ‘grateful’ former students repaying the institution for the consideration once shown them……….

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by gmcnulty
Please share:

If you know of a family earning less than $40,000 a year with an honor student graduating from high school soon, Harvard University wants to pay the tuition. The prestigious university recently announced that from now on undergraduate students from low-income families can go to Harvard for free...no tuition and no student loans!

To find out more about Harvard offering free tuition for families making less than $40,000 a year visit Harvard's financial aid web site at: The annoucement is on the front page.

adm-is.fas.harvard.edu... or call Harvard University's financial aid office at (617) 495-1581.

A bit misleading. Only a select few (granted 1000 is a good number) are selected. They first have to go through three years of selected schooling to qualify starting in the ninth grade. It's still good, but it's not like any low-income person can just enroll for free. Also, with kids this briliant, they would be able to get scholarships with no problem to any school. It's still a good thing, but more of a PR thing . They want the next "Einstein" to graduate from their university so they can reep the benifits of keeping their school at the top of prestegious schools . Remember their school depends on this to keep rich kids going there instead of Yale, Prinston, etc...

Not belittleing the effort of Harvard, but it's more than what's on the surface. There's probibly alot we don't know about this new program...ya never know.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I never said that Harvard was undertaking the education of all students with family incomes below 40,000 free of charge. But I can understand how someone - reading quickly- might make that mistake in comprehension.

What I find so astounding is how one can read the minds of those in Harvard’s Administration to be able to know what motivated the University to undertake such a commitment.

And then describe it as base and self-serving. That’s outrageous.

I would suggest your “assessment” of their motives is more reflective of how you view the world rather then being as factual as you state it to be. And it is most unfortunate for you to suffer under such misguided and self destructive a world view. I feel sorry for you and hope you might - through self assessment – find a more healthy way to face the world.

It just goes to prove the old adage:

“No good deed goes unpunished.”

new topics

top topics

join