It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would happen if the prophet Elijah returned?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Many people know that Elijah left the earth before the time of Jesus. During the time of Jesus and John the Baptist. They asked are you Elijah? Of course they were not. If you count the story of Jesus Transfiguration. in which both Elijah and Moses appeared with Jesus. But if true, that's the past and now the big debate is rather it's all true or anything worth being a miracle. Back to Elijah's departure. The same happens with Jesus in Christianity and Islam. Jesus ascends into Heaven after his job on earth is done. Which brings me back to Elijah. Correct me if I'm wrong. Two men of the same faith. Both prophets of God. They complete their duties and then are ascendant to the sky. Both of their devoted followers are with them. Elisha is with Elijah and Jesus in the presence eleven of his Apostles. Let's stop there. Both men have did something amazing. Or did they do that at all? Today we believe more in aliens and the whole nine yards. Still human's are very diverse in their religious belief's. What would happen if Elijah returned to earth and people did not say a word till he spoke. What would he say? What do you guys think Elijah could change in this world? By presenting himself back to a new generation of man. Can Elijah prove that God is real and we can still turn to him in faith? Tell me what you guys think.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Elijah, I believe will be one of the two "witness" that returns to the earth just before the "end".

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SFKNOLEG74

I just read that! Elijah's return is prophesied "before the coming of the great and terrible day of the Lord. making him a harbinger of the Messiah and the eschaton in various faiths that revere the Hebrew Bible. Which could represent him proving if Jesus is the messiah or not. Many Jews don't believe Jesus fulfilled the messiah prophecies. Maybe Elijah could prove them wrong or prove them right. Who knows?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Ah yes, Elijah. I remember when he gathered us all up on top of Mount Carmel and challenged the prophets of Baal to a showdown between their god and his. It was quite a scene.

The prophets of Baal prepared their sacrifice and laid it on the alter they had erected. They cried to Baal to answer with fire from heaven and there was no response. They began to ritualistically cut themselves and bleed on the alter and some others actually threw themselves on their alter and begged for Baal to answer with fire, but all was silent.

Elijah sat watching and could take no more. He told them to keep it up because quite possibly Baal was on the toilet and couldn't answer them just yet. Everyone laughed. Soon enough the prophets of Baal gave up and demanded that Elijah show proof of his God.

Elijah patiently erected an alter of stones as he regaled the audience with stories of times past when God showed them his power and glory. He prepared the sacrifice and placed it on the alter and even dug a trench around it. To further prove his point and to show that no trickery was involved he commanded some people to go to the sea and bring back buckets of water.

The water was poured on the alter and the sacrifice and he could tell that the people were still expecting trickery. So he told them to do it again until the trench that he dug was filled as well. They anxiously ran and retrieved more water and everyone was sure at this point that no tricks could be employed to ignite the alter.

He turned his back to the crowd with his face toward the alter and raised his hands as he fell to his knees. With a deafening crack, a furious lightning bolt shot from the sky and landed on the alter! Sparks flew skyward and everyone shielded their eyes and some even screamed. Fire enveloped the alter and the sacrifice and burned so hot that the stones were consumed! It was quite a show.

So impressed were we all that when Elijah demanded the prophets of Baal be taken and killed, we listened. They didn't stand a chance after seeing that! We had a grand old time and even that whole stunt couldn't keep Jezebel from wanting Elijah dead. Ahab was impressed though but he didn't matter. Jezebel was the real power in the land.

Edit to add that more than likely, the same thing would happen if Elijah came back. No one would listen.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by jackflap]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
If Elijah or Christ presented themselves to the world today they would not be recognised by their own followers . The great deciever has done well .If they don't look like the last actor to play them in Hollywood , well then they must be frauds ! This is how simplistic and controlled the human mind has become .There is no true depiction of Christ in existance .There was no realist or renaissance art in that period , yet these images are accepted as legitimate . I have had religous door knockers present this image to myself and what is disturbing is they actually claimed that the painting was an actual photograph ! To prove my point they did not even recognise Me !
,all jesting aside I hope you can understand the point I am making . There is nothing to validate this image .There is no written description of Christ , no mention of eye colour , hair colour or for that matter facial hair . Please don't jump on me for this as I am not attacking anyone nor am I attacking the faith ! Just saying something that needs to be said and hope you can contemplate what I am saying .

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Most in Judaism and Christianity expect him to return.

Many Christians feel that he will be one of two last witnesses spoken of in Revelation. In Judaism, during the passover seder, the children throw open the door and invite Elijah in.

But what if his return is spiritual instead of physical. What if he's been doing God's work for thousands of years and people don't recognize him or what it is he's doing?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackflap

Ah yes, Elijah. I remember when he gathered us all up on top of Mount Carmel and challenged the prophets of Baal to a showdown between their god and his. It was quite a scene.

The prophets of Baal prepared their sacrifice and laid it on the alter they had erected. They cried to Baal to answer with fire from heaven and there was no response. They began to ritualistically cut themselves and bleed on the alter and some others actually threw themselves on their alter and begged for Baal to answer with fire, but all was silent.

Elijah sat watching and could take no more. He told them to keep it up because quite possibly Baal was on the toilet and couldn't answer them just yet. Everyone laughed. Soon enough the prophets of Baal gave up and demanded that Elijah show proof of his God.

Elijah patiently erected an alter of stones as he regaled the audience with stories of times past when God showed them his power and glory. He prepared the sacrifice and placed it on the alter and even dug a trench around it. To further prove his point and to show that no trickery was involved he commanded some people to go to the sea and bring back buckets of water.

The water was poured on the alter and the sacrifice and he could tell that the people were still expecting trickery. So he told them to do it again until the trench that he dug was filled as well. They anxiously ran and retrieved more water and everyone was sure at this point that no tricks could be employed to ignite the alter.

He turned his back to the crowd with his face toward the alter and raised his hands as he fell to his knees. With a deafening crack, a furious lightning bolt shot from the sky and landed on the alter! Sparks flew skyward and everyone shielded their eyes and some even screamed. Fire enveloped the alter and the sacrifice and burned so hot that the stones were consumed! It was quite a show.

So impressed were we all that when Elijah demanded the prophets of Baal be taken and killed, we listened. They didn't stand a chance after seeing that! We had a grand old time and even that whole stunt couldn't keep Jezebel from wanting Elijah dead. Ahab was impressed though but he didn't matter. Jezebel was the real power in the land.

Edit to add that more than likely, the same thing would happen if Elijah came back. No one would listen.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by jackflap]

Oh it's so good to hear things like this. Agreed. If anything, it is far more difficult to prove God today than 2000 years ago.

It would be a matter of seconds before everyone would simply shrug it off as a mass psychedelic happening. I would dare say that this attitude crept in within the hour when God played with the planets as in Joshua. Within minutes, they were imagining things, secretly ascribing it to chance, illusion, to anything that they did not have to 'serve'.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Here's the thing, Elijah was taken before his mission was completed.

Now one must ask the question "what was Elijah's mission?"

Malachi, the last prophet of the Old Testament, prophesied: "Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the great and terrible day of the Lord comes." (Mal. 4:5)

The prophet Elijah was a most powerful spiritual champion. His mission was to subjugate Satan and drive him out of Israel forever. Elijah defeated all the false prophets in his great battle on Mount Carmel. But after he passed on, the Israelites united with Satan by again worshiping idols. Therefore, Elijah's work had to be redone. In order to prepare for the Messiah, another Elijah was needed, as Malachi prophesied. Hence, the people expected Elijah to come prior to the coming of the Messiah.

According to Jesus' explanation, John the Baptist was the anticipated Elijah. That is, Malachi's prophecy concerning Elijah was fulfilled in John the Baptist. He came to complete Elijah's mission of subjugating Satan and to make preparation for the Messiah.

John had been chosen even in the womb. The angel Gabriel had announced to Zechariah that his wife, Elizabeth, would bear a son who would prepare his people for the Messiah.

And he will turn many of the sons of Israel to the Lord their God, and he will go before him in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just, to make ready for the Lord a people prepared. (Luke 1:16-17)

So in answering your question He's already been back and they beheaded him.

If your referring to the two last day's prophets that would probably be Moses and Enoch. There's still a lot of debate on this subject.

new topics

top topics

join