It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A cross or a tree

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Question? Was Jesus hung on a tree or nailed to a cross.

Acts 5:30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.

This clearly indicates that Christ was hung on a tree.However, Matthew, Mark, and John contradict this.

Matthew 27:40 And saying, Thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days, save thyself. If thou be the Son of God, come down from the cross.

Matthew 27:42 He saved others; himself he cannot save. If he be the King of Israel, let him now come down from the cross, and we will believe him.

Mark 15:30 Save thyself, and come down from the cross.

Mark 15:32 Let Christ the King of Israel descend now from the cross, that we may see and believe. And they that were crucified with him reviled him.

John 19:19 And Pilate wrote a title, and put it on the cross. And the writing was, JESUS OF NAZARETH THE KING OF THE JEWS.

Was the term that was used in acts "hung from a tree" literally mean that Jesus hung from a tree, or was the author referring to a cross?

If anyone can shed some light as to the execution methods in Jesus' time I would appreciate it. thanks OO

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by oliveoil

I think Peter is quoting from Deuteronomy ch21 vv22-23- "If a man has committed a crime punishable by death...you shall hang him on a tree"- the consequence being that under Mosaic law such a man is cursed by God. This is what they have done, morally speaking.

But in the literal sense, they did not do it themselves. They left it to the Romans, whose preferred method of execution was crucifixion.

So the gospels describe what actually happened. Peter is describing the guilt which the leaders have incurred.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Its hard to say for SURE what the LIARS meant with their FABRICATIONS in the Bible when they COPIED the stories from the older myths from the Egyptians, Hindu, etc etc. Like the other views predating the Hebrews "version" of the OTHER sun-gods of the time, ER, I MEAN Son-Gods.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by SunIsSon]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI
They left it to the Romans, whose preferred method of execution was crucifixion.

So the gospels describe what actually happened. Peter is describing the guilt which the leaders have incurred.

Well said, much better than I could have. Take into account the location where Christ was crucified and the fact that he had to carry it.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

Well said, much better than I could have. Take into account the location where Christ was crucified and the fact that he had to carry it.

Thank you. Some people have suggested that he would only have been carrying the crossbeam. and that the upright would have been there already.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by SunIsSon
Its hard to say for SURE what the LIARS meant with their FABRICATIONS in the Bible when they COPIED the stories from the older myths from the Egyptians, Hindu, etc etc. Like the other views predating the Hebrews "version" of the OTHER sun-gods of the time, ER, I MEAN Son-Gods.

I realise how desperate you are to preach your clever theories, but this really has nothing to do with the topic being discussed.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   

It always amuses ME when the ATHIESTS feel the need to CAPITALIZE there inane ranting to PROVE that those of use who BELIEVE are the ones who are ignorant, deluded, etc etc. It's ok to have an OPPOSING viewpoint, but try to keep it "civilized" to the OTHER posters, ER, I MEAN polite.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Trees are made of wood and so are crosses. Next!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   

[edit on 1-5-2010 by SunIsSon]

This is getting old fast. Why always on the attack. If I were a moderator you would be reading a warning right now.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpecOpPres1

Hehe, there is beauty in simplicity. Thank you for the perspective, I take it to mean that it matters not how he died, but rather why he died.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpecOpPres1

Actually more true than simple, I just did some checking in interlinear bibles, and the hebrew words for "Wood" and "Tree" are interchangeable in some spots. The Hebrew language is not one that translates perfectly into English, thus we get some odd things like that, and I should also mention that when they say "Hang on a tree" they don't necessarily mean by the neck with a rope. So yeah... Christ "hung" on some "wood", but he hung by the nails in his hand.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   

umm the cross is made out of a tree

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
The "tree "part comes from the old testament prophesy.
I cannot quote it but it goes along the lines of those who believe the big lie ...the big lie of he who claims to be the son of God who is hung on a tree.
It is a very very disturbing part of the old testament because it seems to fortell the Crucification of Christ but calls him the big liar that will deceive many.
It truly is spooky to read.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Conspire
The "tree "part comes from the old testament prophesy.
I cannot quote it but it goes along the lines of those who believe the big lie ...the big lie of he who claims to be the son of God who is hung on a tree.
It is a very very disturbing part of the old testament because it seems to fortell the Crucification of Christ but calls him the big liar that will deceive many.
It truly is spooky to read.

I would very much like to hear that verse.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
The bible says Christ is hung on a tree (Acts 5:30; 10:39; 13:29; 1 Pet 2:24) and if this is in direct fulfilment of the Deuteronomic curse (Deut 21:23; Gal 3:13

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I would like to note Deuteronomy 21:23 states

you must not leave his body on the tree overnight. Be sure to bury him that same day, because anyone who is hung on a tree is under God's curse. You must not desecrate the land the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance.

What Paul wrote in Galatians 3:13 says

Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree."

Christ became cursed. Thats the entire Gospel message wrapped up into 2 verses; one prophecy, and one fulfillment. Christ was sinless, perfect, no one else before him was, and no one else after him was. When Christ was crucified he became cursed, because he took the sin of the entire world, past, present, and future, with him. So yes, he was cursed, he had all our curses.

Also no where, not once in those verses does it say a word about any "big lie".

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Jesus Christ destroyed the 'curse' as He was the only one that was able!

the Apostle Paul tells us: Ye are bought with a price (I Cor. 6:20, 7:23). St. Paul even says that Christ was made to be sin for us and made a curse for us (II Cor. 5:21, Gal. 3:13).
Why does he say this?

At His death, Christ broke down the barrier of sin.
But there was one barrier left: death itself.
This Christ broke down at His Resurrection.
As in Adam all die, writes St. Paul,
so in Christ shall all be made alive.
But every man according to his order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at His coming (I Cor. 15:2223).
Through Christ's Resurrection, all mankind has been made subject to future resurrection: physical, bodily resurrection.
Those who receive Christ's gift of salvation are resurrected unto eternal life, as He says; while those who reject it are resurrected unto damnation (cf. John 5:29).
Once again, this is because human nature is one.
St. Paul affirms: For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead (I Cor. 15:21).
SOURCE

Adam and Eve sinned....SIN caused mankind to die and be apart from God.

Jesus Christ was the one to re-unite man with God....Jesus Christ is also called the New Adam(Adam means first man)
Through the Life of Jesus Christ we all have a choice in His Resurrection....no death,no Hdes no more!
All of The Old Testament prophets,rightious people etc, went to Hades , a place away from God because the 'curse' was yet to be lifted!
And in the Epistle to the Hebrews we read: Now once at the end of the world Christ hath appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself (Heb. 9:26).
The Son of Man came to give His life as a ransom for many (Matt. 20:28). In the Epistle to the Hebrews we read: Christ is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance (Heb. 9:15).
And in the book of Apocalypse: Thou wast slain,
and hast redeemed us to God by Thy Blood (Apoc. 5:9).

Through Christ the New Adam, the renewed creation will be what it would have been if the first Adam had raised it to God.

In his Epistle to the Romans, St. Paul writes of the future age of the renewed creation which will come into being after the General Resurrection:

For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God [that is, us].
For the creation was made subject to futility, not willingly, but because of him [Adam] who subjected it [to futility] in hope [that is, in hope of the General Resurrection].
Because the creation itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.
For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.
And not only the creation,
but ourselves also,
which have the firstfruits of the Spirit,
even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, that is, the redemption of our body (Romans 8:1823).
LINK

Man will once again become as it was meant to be before the fall of Adam and Eve...to live for eternity...

St. John Chrysostom(Early church father of Eastern Orthodoxy-Golden mouth asks rhetorically.....
"Because He could not come,
since the curse had not yet been lifted,
sin had not yet been forgiven,(sin to mean bodily death of all mankind)
but all men were still subject to the penalty for it.(since Adam was the first created man)
Therefore,' He said, that enmity must be destroyed and you must be reconciled to God,
and then you will receive the gift.'" ...through His Crucifixtion and Resurection. Jesus Christ lifted the 'Curse' of the first created people, and destroyed DEATH!

ICXC NIKA
helen

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
To me, its kind of like someone 2000 years from now inquiring whether a certain person died in a motorcycle or car accident. Does it really matter? I think the whole point is his death. You will beat yourself up trying to figure out all the contradictions the bible has.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Cross, Stake, or Tree.
There is an important distinction. Its one of those 'small' things that distort the truth.
The cross, or ankh was a pagan fertility symbol...in order to incorporate it into the christian belief system, the translated words were 'adjusted' to bring this idol into christianity.
Two thousand years later you have millions of christians wearing this image and praying to it. Truely disgusting.

Here is a great thread where member Matrix Prophet put a lot of effort into reasearching original language and context to get to the heart of the matter. www.abovetopsecret.com...

Deffinately take the time to read this thread.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcouncil=wisdom

The execution was carried out by the Romans.
It was normal practice for the Romans to use crucifixion as a means of execution.
The two things fit together.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join