It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US/Canadian border madness leaked onto YouTube

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
I believe that these types of questions are, although ridiculous sounding, necessary.
It comes down to how you answer the question more so than your answer itself in some cases.

It is also a lot in how the question is ASKED.

The guy was snapping off questions like he was admitting them into a prison, not allowing a married couple from a very close ally into the US.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate
reply to post by endtimer

I looked for this before I posted it on here and couldn't find it. It did sound like he and his wife were both arrested. Looks like I can find May 4th as the first day I see it posted anywhere.

I have a couple of Canadian friends. I am going to try to see what they have heard of this.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by webpirate]

Maybe I jumped the gun here. I swear I saw this video and listened to it
on ATS. I might have seen it when I was watching something else on
Youtube. Sorry if I was wrong here.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

No kidding!

I'd like to be a cop in NF... pull this guy over and give him the same treatment.

"Where are you going".

"Out to eat with my family".

"To eat what?".

"Dinner"

"where"

"a restaurant"

"Which one"

"The golden corral"

"What are you going to eat?"

"It's a buffet"

"Get out of the car please"

"Why?"

"I asked what you're going to eat, you failed to answer my question. That's assault with a deadly weapon, and I don't need any cause. You're going to jail."

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by endtimer

I found others like it on here. I guess there have been several of these incidents lately, including a very prominent writer Dr. Peter Watts. Here is a story about that from December when it happened.

It does seem like this one first came out the first place it did on May 4th by everything I can tell.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

As I stated in my post, I was not justifying this pariticular video or guard, rather explaining WHY some of these questions are asked since it was posed in the OP as to why they would even entertain these types of questions.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

Have you ever gone through a DWI check point OR been pulled over for suspected DWI? Same types of questions.

"Where are coming from?"
"A Restaurant."
"Which one." "What did you eat?"
"X Restaurant and I had fish...."
"When did you get there and when did you leave?"
"How many drinks did you have time to consume in X hours?"

etc.

It's not as uncommon as you think unfortunately.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
old thread.. already been posted before...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by yellow.sapphirine

Sorry. I looked through several pages from a search here and didn't see it posted already.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

frigging exactly! Good answer....had me lol...even though it shoudl not be a laughing matter....

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
they deserved what they got, the guards are not there to answer your questions.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigspud
they deserved what they got, the guards are not there to answer your questions.

Of course not... they're there to harass and intimidate until they've got reason to imprison.

I'll keep my money in Canada if that's the way my wife and I can expect to be treated.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Well, I don't like it. However, I understand the silly line questioning. The guy did try to be difficult when it was not necessary.

My final judgment: Canadian 70% / Border Guards 30% Fault

However, I am a little weary of the assault claim.

If there is an y LEO here, perhaps you can answer me this; how is it assaulting an officer to withdraw from being grabbed at? Resisting arrest perhaps, by how assault?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Ok the guards were harsh but come on people it is obvious that there are certain place that when you are there you don't answer back and just be compliant otherwise you will be in a heap of trouble. Airports are one and border crossings are another. You have almost got to be a arrogant moron to get lippy with the border police. They are waiting for somebody to act in this way to give them an excuse to put there training into practice. The first border guy did have some attitude but the second officer was very calm and gave the guy plenty of chances to calm down. He is right drug runners and terrorists don't have it stamped on their foreheads. They would not be doing there job if they let people through who did not answer their questions properly. They ask them for a reason to establish weather or not people are who they say they are. It was harsh to arrest him but people have got to wake up America is at war.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
It's quite simple: He went into this with the thought in mind that he was going to be mistreated somehow, and his visualization of it made it happen by changing what would probably have been a much more normal or even-keeled response to the officer's questioning, had he not been expecting such.

Still...if they're nabbing 3 potential terrorists a day just from random inspections...just how many are really getting through?!? This part of the story is no doubt a completely made-up justification; justifincaseyou'rebelievedtobelinkedtoalqaeda. What ELSE would fear produce in people?

Kinda puts that whole "the only thing we have to fear" quote into a somewhat more illuminated perspective, I'd say.

This is the new world people. Get used to it...or change it! If we don't change it...fear will RULE every descendant we ever have.

I can already see something like this making this turn VERY ugly sometime in the near future. THIS is treading on glass. Perhaps that's as it should be...in the bigger scheme of things. :/

[edit on 19-5-2010 by lagnar]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
The first officer was either having a bad day, or saw red when the couple snickered about his question about what store they were going to in the mall, and decided to exercise his power to show who was the boss.

This was simply an abuse of power. This guy should be suspended.

The Canadian, after this, should have realized that he would not be able to reason with these people and just should have answered all questions matter-of-factly. So, he showed some poor judgement in thinking that he could convince the second guy that the first guy was wrong.

And...of course...he should not have said "what are you gonna do...shoot me?" That was plain silly, given that he knew he was dealing with a group of hothead power-trippers. Guess what, they showed him what they were capable of doing!

The arrest of he and his wife was just another example of abuse of power. And then the berating of the man about how much trouble he was in...and that his wife was going to jail too because she had "assaulted" officers literally turned my stomach!

From start to finish, the border control officers showed poor judgement, a lack of sensitivity toward the natural emotions of the people they were detaining (do they not receive training on this stuff?), and a macho "we are the law and thus above the law" attitude.

My score...Border Guards 90% responsible, Canadian Shoppers 10%.

These clowns catch three terrorists a day my #%s!

Good job protecting the faltering U.S. economy from those young married Canadian day-trippers though...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join