It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ocean fish could disappear in 40 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

THE world faces the nightmare possibility of fishless oceans by 2050 unless fishing fleets are slashed and stocks allowed to recover, UN experts warned.

"If the various estimates we have received... come true, then we are in the situation where 40 years down the line we, effectively, are out of fish," Pavan Sukhdev, head of the UN Environment Program's green economy initiative, said.

A Green Economy report due later this year by UNEP and outside experts argues this disaster can be avoided if subsidies to fishing fleets are slashed and fish are given protected zones - ultimately resulting in a thriving industry.

The report, which was opened to preview overnight, also assesses how surging global demand in other key areas including energy and fresh water can be met while preventing ecological destruction around the planet.

www.news.com.au...

[edit on 18-5-2010 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

I know there are people who deny that any of these reports are accurate, or that we could overpopulate, but the studies sure dont seem to agree with those views.

I think we as people need to really start to consider how many people the planet can honestly support. The idea that technology will save us from all possible harms is wearing pretty thin.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I have always believed that the waters on this planet are heavily over fished - And now with the problem we face with massive amounts of deadly oil pouring into the ocean, I just don't see us helping this planet one bit.

There is no change from this pattern until it's far, far too late. That's how our species works, just like bacteria in a petri dish. Unless something big smacks us on the forehead, we don't change what we do, at least not very easily.

I have so many hopes for this world in the future, but it seems I'm living a different time line than the one I am dreaming of.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Yikes.
Free energy won't save us if we can't eat.
Stupid World.
A million mph ship that people can escape the planet with was
once proposed by the worlds greatest inventor.
I wonder if one wants to get off now and leave the Illuminati behind
with their gold and asset backed securities.
Let me know and I'll put a good word in for you on any research
finding the M mph get away ships (the crystal ship is leaving NOW).
ED:
Even Jim would rather fly

[edit on 5/18/2010 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TeslaandLyne

Well to be honest, if there ever were an "escape ship" and the Earth had become incapable of supporting human life, you can rest assured that the people most responsible for the mess would be the ones on the ship.

The most innocent of any blame, would be left to die.

But thats a very good point, what good is "free energy" going to do for us if we have nothing to eat?

Hunger leads to war, war leads to more environmental destruction, and when we are already over the carrying capacity, it is more than a little worrying.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
This is very worrying. I guess the only way to change this is to introduce tariffs and quotas through the UN for fishing nations. But it would have to be a fair and equal decision. Mind you, getting unanimous decisions like that through the UN is as rare as hens teeth. Having said that, nature is very good at bouncing back, so I have no doubt that as dire as this might get, the oceans are perhaps hardier than we might give them credit for, as the recent surge in the North Atlantic cod population has proven.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by the.lights

True, and some of the whale species too. IF we can get people to give the fish a chance to repopulate and recover, I agree, life on Earth is very resilient.

Its just that big "IF."

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Perhaps vegetables can save man and the ocean.
That is without fertilizer ending up ruining things.
Vegetation can have a phenomenal growing and cleaning ability.

top topics

join