It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas Leak in Gulf 3000 Times Worse Than Oil Leak

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+42 more 
posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

There is 3000 times more natural gas coming out of the leak than oil. The damage of the massive amounts of Gas being released into the gulf is worse than the oil.

Oxygen levels in some areas have dropped 30 percent, and should continue to drop, Joye said.
"It could take years, possibly decades, for the system to recover from an infusion of this quantity of oil and gas," Joye said. "We've never seen anything like this before. It's impossible to fathom the impact."

The Federal Minerals Management Service (MMS) contracted a study to see how badly a deep water drilling oil spill would deplete the gulf of oxygen. this study underestimated the current leak by a factor of 26. It was NOT peer reviewed and did not consider that the damage would occur at depth greater than 700 meters. In other words, the determination of the potential impact of deep water drilling on the ecosystem by the federal agency that regulates these activities was a TOTAL SHAM.

A BP executive stated that they were removing 3000:1 gas to oil at the well before the explosion. (thats 3000 cubic feet of gas for every barrel of oil) The amount of oil leaking into the gulf is 25,000 to 70,000 barrels.

a 3000:1 ratio would mean 75 - 210 million cubic feet of gas per day being released.
There is 5.64 cubic feet of gas per barrel.

That would mean there is 13.3 to 37.2 million "barrels" of gas being released each day.
(note: this is at standard atmospheric temp and pressure. At the ocean floor and 2,400 pounds per square inch, this gas is compressed by a factor of of over 1000 and will expand as it rises. So, in the video coming out of the pipe it looks like 75,000 to 210,000 barrels of gas per day.

rense.com...
Second Article on this

This goes on to say that this amount of natural gas that is being released can and will lead to the death of most all of the deep water sea life in the Gulf Of Mexico. And then backs it all up with factual evidence and mathematical calculations that blow the "official" reports out of the water. No pun intended.

Why is this not being addressed by the MSM?
It is barely even mentioned. And I am still seeing CNN talk about only 5,000 or so barrels of oil a day are being released. I think we have seen sufficient evidence to know this is a way under intentionally misrepresented estimate.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by webpirate]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
First I heard of natural gas leaking off also. Given the pressures and depths involved it is going to be a miracle if they can bring this thing under control any time soon.

I really hope this will finally force the release of the energy technology that has been suppressed for many years which could have totally replaced the need for fossil fuels. I also hope the people that have suppressed it and led us to this disaster are properly prosecuted.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by expat2368

I knew there was some gas, but not this much. Part of the reason they attributed to the first attempt with that box failed is because they said the gasses at that depth were crystallizing.

That's a lot of gas though this is talking about. A lot.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Thank you for your post. Good intel.

The MSM is under NAtional Security Guidelines pertaining to this event. They cannot say/print whatever they want.

The truth cannot come out or the sheeple will panic. We're on a really slowburn here, a very hardboil. I am certain this event will change the world as we know it. When the panic button is punched remains to be seen.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
The video taken by the small private airplane showed a lot of surface pools of orange/red substance near the black pools. It is either decaying sealife or sulfur or methane, or some combination.
I did find an answer to my own curiosity of what research exists on before the spill sea life conditions so BP and others can be held accountable. Very extensive research has been going on since 2000 called the Census of Marine Life past, present and future. They have a temporary website to view until the official public release in Oct '10.
They really are foretunate to be in the home stretch of their project.
Here is my related thread:

Census of Marine Life

[edit on 18-5-2010 by Granite]

[edit on 18-5-2010 by Granite]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Granite

Your related thread didn't come across. Could you post it again?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

They didn't talk about this too much , but they did have a 5 minute segment on Sandra Bullocks new Baby she adopted, which I guess is NEED TO KNOW information for America.....

Notice how all these people are being exposed of cheating and what not....

It's the new thing for 2010........it will be what keeps our attention away from the real thing going on, like oil spills......

Even under the Clinton Administration they would have handled this much better.....

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Of course they underestimated it.

Remember when they tried to stop the leak and were surprised that so much ice formed that it clogged their containment dome?

Well in fact that ice was methane hydrate crystals. Not just water ice!

It is a gas gusher!

I have heard of vast underground natural gas deposits that some have theorized could literally kill us all if it were ever to escape to the surface.

Lets hope they don't hit one of those.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by Fractured.Facade]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I propose that large sections like sea worlds are built all inland.

To acquire as much sea life as we can before time runs out.

Start farming Algae and other aquatic life for preservation.

Maybe I am thinking to drastically? Better safe then sorry?

Or put the Organic stuff in the water and cap that freaking hole.

Maybe there is enough time??

edited to add another Organic product that eliminates oil.

www.northlandsnewscenter.com...

[edit on 18-5-2010 by Quickfix]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

having said that......where is this gas going once it reaches the surface? Anyone with enough knoweldge to estimate this, or I guess I could read the whole article and find it there...

My point is, I wonder if there is any risk to those above the water? Could this become airborne and drift?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

I'm not sure, based on the uncertain data available... I'd say we need not worry but who knows really?

Here is some great information that may help...

www.mbrij.co.jp...

It is a pdf file... good related read!

[edit on 18-5-2010 by Fractured.Facade]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade

I have heard of vast underground natural gas deposits that some have theorized could literally kill us all if it were ever to escape to the surface.

3000/1 gas to oil ratio is what BP was saying before this happened. They were pulling huge amounts of natural gas from this well. I'm not sure about monetary figures here, but if they were indeed capturing and processing that gas it seems like they would have more money from the gas than the oil even.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I have no faith in mankind at all. and I hope this kills of the human race totally. I am just sorry for all the animals who suffer because of us.

at what level will the gas drift? ground or high up? when it his a flame it will be a big fire ball. could blow a airplane up?

Methane
A hydrocarbon that is a greenhouse gas with a global warming potential most recently estimated at 23+ times that of carbon dioxide (CO 2 ).

[edit on 18-5-2010 by buddha]

[edit on 18-5-2010 by buddha]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

the drilling phase was almost complete,the next phase would be production,no oil or gas was produced at the time of accident

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Hi OP, thanks for bringing this important information to light. I've read many articles about the spill, but none of them have mentioned about the amount of natural gas..

Worrying indeed. The change in oxygen will rapidly deplete fish stocks for sure.

G.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I've been pointing out the dangers of the methane for days now in this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I've collected a lot of background material, and noted the dangers of the lessening the hydrostatic pressure due to huge amounts of dissolved methane. The danger of a massive methane hydrate sublimation event is quite real.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by freeradical1

I wasn't the one who said that they were removing 3000/1 oil to gas ratio before the explosion. It was the article that said the BP executives said it themselves.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by webpirate]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Can someone tell me why BP is drilling in US waters to begin with . I thought that this was our reserve oil . So why are the Brit's here drilling for our OIL! Something don't sound right. I don't know???? Anybody ???

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Wasn't the date of April 19th or 20th to have significance? The 20th is when this thing started.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade

3000/1 gas to oil ratio is what BP was saying before this happened. They were pulling huge amounts of natural gas from this well. I'm not sure about monetary figures here, but if they were indeed capturing and processing that gas it seems like they would have more money from the gas than the oil even.

Here is a scary thought, what if the relief well they are drilling nearby taps into an even larger unexpected oil/natural gas deposit, and it can't be stopped?

The methane gas may have been the underestimated risk all along and is what caused this disaster.

Their eyes were on the oil only, the gas is a byproduct to them.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join