It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

English to Be Replaced with Spanish in USA in 50 Years

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I know this is Pravda but I thought it was interesting to read a foreign papers take on our illegal immigration problem.

The illegals have many problems to deal with. Their salaries are considerably lower than those of native Americans, whereas their work hours are longer – 10-12 hours a day. They do not have any rights for medical insurance or any other allowance. If a medical problem occurs, these people do not have to go anywhere. Social services will report the case to the police and a person will be deported from the country.

Many native Americans treat illegals negatively. Every fourth American believes that the illegals are a source of all troubles in the nation. Many Americans acknowledge, though, that small business is based on illegal immigrants.

The biggest threat that illegal immigrants pose to the government is the change of the ethnic, racial and language balance. The Spanish-speaking population in the United States reaches the level of 15 percent, although the number was lower twice 25 years ago. Most likely, the image of white Anglo-Saxon Yankees will soon become outdated.

Maybe the people of Arizona should learn to speak Spanish.

English to be replaced by Spanish

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
and when that happens im sure they will have no problem making spanish the offical language...

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I don't believe so... I deal with many Hipanics. Nice folks, hard working, and they want to be "good Americans." I meet there families, and the children actually do the interpreting for the parents. In fact, their kids speak better english than I do...lol.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by damwel

Government documents are now printed in about a dozen languages. Government business along the border is NOW conducted in Spanish.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Can I move to Canada? I had to listen to spanish all day for 8 years where I used to work. I think I was traumatized.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
English is not the official language of the United States. English is the de facto language of American government and the sole language spoken at home by 80% of Americans age five and older. Spanish is the second most commonly spoken language. Both languages are from Europe. I don't see why everyone is up in arms with learning Español.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Pravda, nuff said?

Seriously, it will never happen, however Americans need to accept and expect that Spanish will always be 'the other' language in this country.

There are (like it or not) many millions of Spanish speaking US citizens.

For English press 1

Para marcar en español 2

See, still number 2

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Well for one, I suck at learning another language. The language I took in school was French and even then I learned a lot of words and greetings but couldn't hold a conversation. Secondly, all our immigrants no matter where they are from have learned English. So...that kind of ties us all together.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I met a man who was born and lived in Arizona. He never learned English and I had to speak Spanish to him to communicate. I saw in his eyes that English in Arizona was just a passing fad. He was a Native American, not the way the term is used in the above article.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by damwel

They have it wrong. If someone is here illegally and doesn;t have insurance, they go to the emergency room. Most "sanctuary" cities DO NOT ALLOW social services to contact ICE for deportation. That in fact goes for the police of said town, EMTs, Fire, etc.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Everyone is different. Some people learn faster then the other. It would be great for Americans to learn both.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Yay, I was afraid I wasn't getting my daily dose of "yet another reason to loathe 'illegals'". Thank you,

/sarcasm

I can't believe people fall for this stuff.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
si, si no problemo, hasta la vista baby, los federales. el diablo rojo el chapulin colorado spanish rocks!

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I dont see this happening. I see Spanish as being mandatory throughout school, which it should be, but not adopted as Our official language. Spanish should be mandatory. Hispanics represent a large portion of Our population and if We're going to cohabitate it only makes sense. I've got the craps of ppl saying 'they need to learn English if they're gonna be here' while doing nothing to bridge that gap themselves. Try it, Your life will be much richer because of it. It's a great feeling of accomplishment for You and is appreciated far more than u know by them.
In Lebanon their official language is Lebanese, a form of Arabic. Students are taught English and French in addition to their own language and most are fluent in all 3. Why cant we be bi/tri-lingual as well?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
So what?
English replaced the hundreds of local-native Indian languages, that were spoken in North America some couple of centuries ago. Who was there to complain?

Besides, do YOU really believe that ? And what would be so tragic about that?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

The trick is, forget pretty much everything You learned in school. I took Spanish for 5 yrs and didnt get much farther than 'Donde esta el supermercado?' I've learned most from listening, watching and questioning and have become pretty fluent because of it. I refuse to limit my experiences due to a language barrier.

btw- the 3 most important phrases u can learn in spanish are-
1. Una mas cerverza, por favor.
2.Donde esta el quarto de bano?
and
3. Donde esta mi pantalones?
Haha!! JK.

Actually, what ties us all together is that we're all human beings, regardless of the language we speak.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by damwel
I know this is Pravda

Thanks and good night.

Not even a good charlatan will claim to predict the future, 50 years from now, through rational means.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I didn't intend to imply that I think Spanish will become a mandatory language in the US. I posted this because I think it's interesting to see how Russia sees our immigration problem. As far as hospitals not reporting illegals, all it takes is one tea partier in the er to make the call.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
it is a good thing i speak spanish...and french, italian, portuguese

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by damwel

Well,statistics prove you to be incorrect.I know hundreds of 2nd generation Americans of Hispanic background and a majority of them speak no Spanish.

There has also been studies done that 50% of all 2nd generation Americans of Hispanic descent marries a Person of a different ethnic background.

When you get to 3rd generation it is almost 75% of them.

I know many Americans of Hispanic heritage that can't find employment because of one phrase"bi-lingual preferred".

Don't see it happening though I am sure those with an agenda will continually make us believe it will.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join