It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ACLU chimes in against the AZ LAW with a Class action Lawsuit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
ACLU sues to stop AZ Law

Several civil rights organizations filed a lawsuit Monday seeking to halt a controversial new Arizona law that requires local police to enforce federal immigration regulations.

The lawsuit is at least the fourth filed since Republican Gov. Jan Brewer last month signed the law, which makes it a state crime to lack immigration paperwork in Arizona and requires police to determine the status of people they suspect are illegal immigrants. The federal class-action claim contends that the law will lead to widespread racial profiling, infringes on the federal government's ability to set immigration policy and violates the Constitution's 1st and 4th amendments.

The individual plaintiffs include a 70-year-old U.S. citizen of Spanish and Chinese descent who says he's been stopped twice by Arizona police asking for "papers"; a Latino citizen studying at Arizona State University whose New Mexico driver's license would not be accepted as proof of citizenship under the law; and a Jamaican immigrant who fears police will not believe the photocopy of a judge's order that he be allowed to stay in the country, the only paperwork he has that gives him legal status here.

Well the 4th lawsuit has now been filed. And I bet none of these individuals have cared to read the actual Law but are just filing baseless lawsuits because of hear say and presumed violations.

To put this entire Illegal Immigration and Arizona Law to rest, How about we push for a referendum on the Arizona Voters this coming Ballot and also a Referendum on the entire nation for the same Laws that Arizona Passed.

Lets Push for Referendum on the Nation, and have this debate set aside.

Also I need to make it clear why I posted this in the first place as many might have overlooked ACLUs Litigation.

The main plaintiff in the ACLU litigation is a 70 y/o male of dual ancestry claimed to be harassed for papers to prove citizenship. The AZ Law has not been implemented yet and such an event is clear fabrication. If the laws haven't been implemented, no LE has the authority to ask for any documents.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Before accusing ACLU of not reading the law (which I find highly unlikely considering part of the civil process is identifying how a law violates constitutional rights) read the complaint.

www.aclu.org...

SB 1070 is unconstitutional. It violates the Supremacy Clause and core civil rights and civil liberties secured by the United States Constitution, including the First Amendment right to freedom of speech and expressive activity, the Fourth Amendment right to freedom from unreasonable searches and seizures, and the Equal Protection Clause guarantee of equal protection under the law.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
Before accusing ACLU of not reading the law (which I find highly unlikely considering part of the civil process is identifying how a law violates constitutional rights) read the complaint.

Before posting what I have already read, maybe ACLU, Obama, Hoyer, Napolitano, and the many others need to actually go read the laws. Then take a look at the existing laws.

I would just like to ask you and others,

Can We Have A Nationwide Referendum to put this debate aside?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The issue is if the law is Unconstitutional, not how polular it is.
Remember The Constitution? The one ATS members claim to love and honor?

I think this law is very poorly written, and will be found Unconstitutional.
Maybe following existing Federal law would be better.
Guys, Constitutional rights are NEVER a polularity contest, NEVER up for a vote. The majority does not over ride the constitution or decide your rights.
Sometimes I wonder why I even bother posting here.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldDragger

The issue is if the law is Unconstitutional, not how polular it is.
Remember The Constitution? The one ATS members claim to love and honor?

I think this law is very poorly written, and will be found Unconstitutional.
Maybe following existing Federal law would be better.
Guys, Constitutional rights are NEVER a polularity contest, NEVER up for a vote. The majority does not over ride the constitution or decide your rights.
Sometimes I wonder why I even bother posting here.

This Law isn't unconstitutional, just because an activist organization claims it is unconstitutional does not mean it is.

The laws that are unconstitutional are the HCR bill and the many other policies being forced through not the Arizona bill.

Also Newsflash: This is the same law on the Federal Books, these pathetic lawsuits are just that pathetic.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

Gee, I missed where the courts found health care to be Unconstitutional.
Duh. Of course it's not Unconstitutional just because the ACLU "says so". I'm pretty sure that's why it's a lawsuit!
By the way, still waiting for your list of all the great things the Bush administration did for America!

Maybe you are having a little trouble compiling it?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

I am not a supporter of the law in AZ nor do I entirely disagree with the law. I do see the issue that ACLU is pointing out. I also see the issue AZ law is trying to grapple with. While I respect AZ's attempt to solve their issue on their own, and I respect it a lot. I must look at the long term effects this could pave the way to.

It is not an issue I care to debate as I do not have all the facts, nor have I done much research on the issue. Like most people I am an outsider with really no motivation to look up the issues in this regard. My biggest fear of the law: It could pave the way to increased police state mentality where the state government is above the Constitution where they can justify the need to crack down on any group of people. My biggest praise of the law: It's about time a state acted on it's own to make their state a better place for the majority of people to live.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

Oh you mean in your Bush bashing thread. I thought I made it clear in there, since you are devoid of the facts as to who was passing the bills of corruption, i.e. the Democratic Congress in power when bush was president as they are now, I felt I shall humor myself.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Any first year law student would know that the Arizona law is unconstitutional. The Constitution only matters when it fits the rights agenda OD. When it comes to the health care bill being unconstitutional, well that's what Glenn Beck told them so it's true.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Who cares what the aclu does?

This issue law and ALL is smoke and mirrors and a bandaid pretending to solve the problem by appealing to the ignorance of the people state of AZ.

Until the state cracks down by obliterating schools, state offices and businesses who deal in any way with illegals, then I will not blame the human for trying to make it in this world just like anyone else.

What a crock the aclu is defending these people instead of demanding and suing out of existence all the businesses and individuals giving jobs housing and money to illegals.

Stupid AZ is going about it the wrong way, and they are showing behind to the world. Unfortunately I heard my state might be trying to go the same way, but that does NOT surprise me at all.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   

This Law isn't unconstitutional, just because an activist organization claims it is unconstitutional does not mean it is.

The laws that are unconstitutional are the HCR bill and the many other policies being forced through no the Arizona bill.

Maybe you could lend some hindsight into what makes you such a constitutional expert.

Do you really have the expertise or are you just one of those that call things constitutional/unconstitutional based on your belief?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca

Oh you mean in your Bush bashing thread. I thought I made it clear in there, since you are devoid of the facts as to who was passing the bills of corruption, i.e. the Democratic Congress in power when bush was president as they are now, I felt I shall humor myself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Wikipedia:
The Senate majority lasted until 2001, when the Senate became split evenly but was regained in the 2002 elections. Both Republican majorities in the House and Senate were held until the Democrats regained control in the mid-term elections of 2006. In the 21st century

Uh, see?
Dems didn't have a majority until 06.
Care to admit you are wrong? Care to be honest?
Didn't think so!

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

You failed to comprehend that even though they might have had a elephant tag, the most were RHINO's. I am not defending Bush by any means, if you go back to my posts in there, I said clearly spread the hate around.

Down with Bush, Bush is Bad, Shave your Bush...

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   

The individual plaintiffs include a 70-year-old U.S. citizen of Spanish and Chinese descent who says he's been stopped twice by Arizona police asking for "papers"; a Latino citizen studying at Arizona State University whose New Mexico driver's license would not be accepted as proof of citizenship under the law; and a Jamaican immigrant who fears police will not believe the photocopy of a judge's order that he be allowed to stay in the country, the only paperwork he has that gives him legal status here

If this actually happened its is wrong, but it also has nothing to do with the Arizona Law because it doesnt go into effect until July 28 2010.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Ah, in your mind yes. Because I would disagree with your line of thinking. That would make me right of you.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkStormCrow

Thank you for seeing what I posted, the law isn't even into effect and we have individuals probably payed by these activist organizations making a shill attempt against it.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
C'mon, I support Arizona's stance, but even I knew this was coming... it was just a matter of time. You guys had to know in your heart of hearts that the ACLU would jump on this eventually. Guess we're going to have to see how this plays out now - to be honest, I think this is a good thing. Constitutional arguments aside, it will give AZ the chance to paint this issue into stark relief for all the country to see. I never thought this bill would go unchallenged, but I did think it would be a wake up call to the Feds who, up to this point, have utterly failed to enforce their own ICE laws... now AZ will have a very publicized stage on which to drive the point home... even if they lose the lawsuit.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Legion2112

I agree, this is the 4th lawsuit filed to date and ACLU just was looking for the right plaintiff's to represent.

The odd situation is about the 70y/o Spanish/Chinese plaintiff who claims to have been stopped twice for his papers when the law hasn't even gone into effect yet.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join