It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Invites Public To Take Virtual Walk On Moon: (very cool indeed)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
More than 37 years after humans last walked on the moon, planetary scientists are inviting members of the public to return to the lunar surface as "virtual astronauts" to help answer important scientific questions.

No spacesuit or rocket ship is required-all visitors need to do is go to www.moonzoo.org... and be among the first to see the lunar surface in unprecedented detail. New high-resolution images, taken by NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera (LROC), offer exciting clues to unveil or reveal the history of the moon and our solar system.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/43a7954dec5d.jpg[/atsimg]

The Moon Zoo Web site is a citizen science project developed by the Citizen Science Alliance, a group of research organizations and museums, and builds on the team's success with Galaxy Zoo, which has involved more than 250,000 people in astronomical research.

Scientists are particularly interested in knowing how many craters appear in a particular region of the moon in order to determine the age and depth of the lunar surface (regolith). Fresh craters left by recent impacts provide clues about the potential risks from meteor strikes on the moon and on Earth.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/89bfa7832dce.jpg[/atsimg]
Source: www.space-travel.com...
link to NASA site from article: www.moonzoo.org...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know some you more experience people may not like this site or rather don't find the need to go there but I have to say it is worth a look around.

I think my kid is going to love this-probably the wife also. One thing for sure, it is a good place to start to learn about the moon-withtout UFO/Alien mixed in. Some prett cool Moon shots and layouts.

Interested in hearing what you think about it. Let me know.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
oooh, thankies

I love stuf like this, looks like the next hour or 2 are well and truly spoken for

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

It took me a while to load and to learn my way around but definitely cool once you start moving.

I can see NASA developing mini-moon stages and start touring around the counrty and promoting the Space Program. I think it would be easy enough to do (again-wink wink).

jra

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
There is an existing thread here already.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by jra]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jra

Thank you.

Mod please close thread as there is one of the same subject matter-different title.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Please direct you comments to this ongoing thread...

The Moon Zoo ?

-closed

new topics

top topics

join