It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New And Improved Chat is Now Running!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Well... isn't this just lovely.

A few bad apples fall from a tree and...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Wouldn't it just be easier to ban the offenders instead of punishing everyone for their transgressions. I can only assume they knew a software exploit for it?

No Mutter... No Chat... Just Lovely!

IRM :shk:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

They have been banned. 3 of them. I know 2 of the 3.
I wasn't there, but I might have an idea of what happened.
*Sighs*

[edit on 28/5/2010 by Ayana]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Please hold tight, Guys.

This all just 'went down,' so to speak. We have some clean up to do before reopening and need to look into some things.

In the future, ALERT chat misbehavior to the staff so not everyone suffers when things get so out of hand that we have to temporarily close the feature.

u2u a staff member or file a complaint. Bring it to our attention as soon as possible in order to prevent this. It takes us all working together.

Thanks.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Thanks Ashley D for the update and info.

Personally, I think any offender(s) should be put on a list with the reason and example of what they did (or were precieived to have) violated any T&C rules.

Were all adults here. If someone doesn't want to play along nicely, the rest of us should know who they are and why. We then can make a judgement call as to if we wish to associate or communicate with them.

As long as all is agreed to up front with any member agreement-so be it.

Have a great weekend everyone.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Acting up in chat? I find that hard to believe.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
i will never snitch!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Well, of course we cannot mention names since we like to respect member privacy and not issue 'public spankings.' lol

The issue here is that chat is a live, quick-moving environment. So although the T&C's apply in chat as well, infractions are under stricter scrutiny.

For instance, talking sexually explicit and vulgarly in a thread might result in a warning tag and post removal. Talking sexually explicit and vulgarly in chat would earn a permanent ban.

Some things that reflect heavily include drug use discussions, excessive profanity, sexual vulgarity, member harassment, linking to off site offensive content, etc. Or in other words the 'very serious' forum infractions become 'very, very serious' chat infractions.

Hope that helps in a general sense.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
Wouldn't it just be easier to ban the offenders instead of punishing everyone for their transgressions.

Easier? Yes.

Informative? No.

We need to ensure our membership is aware that we take T&C infractions within the live environment of Chat very seriously. A significant amount of effort went into researching the best possible and most reliable chat solution, as well as installing and modifying the (not inexpensive) software specific to ATS... after all that, it's infuriating that our membership would disrespect the efforts of our staff in such a way.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72

Were all adults here.

Sadly, this appears to not be the case mate!

IRM

Ex

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Well, Isn't that just the cat's pajamas!

Hope this issue gets resolved, as I love the chat during the
Saturday Evening Shows..........

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
Wouldn't it just be easier to ban the offenders instead of punishing everyone for their transgressions.

it's infuriating that our membership would disrespect the efforts of our staff in such a way.

I feel your pain!

IRM :shk:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I have never been in chat so it may not be my place to say anything but, name and shame I say.

There is nothing like a public hanging to focus attention!

Anyone who knows me will know that I abhor censorship of any kind but we are all reasonably intelligent people here and, reading between the lines, it seems like some serious transgression has taken place, that's unacceptable.

The details should be made public to stop rumours going round of why they got banned and what happened, I've seen it so many times before when people have been banned and it is always The Amigo's and The Staff who end up looking like the villains.

The truth should out.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
A total of eight members have now been banned due to a combination of excessive use of vulgarities and advocacy of personal drug use.

Chat will return later once I have the opportunity to alter the code to raise the post-threshold from 50 to 100.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

8!? That's mental!

Idiots.

It's only their own fault, even if I am friendly with a couple of them. They know it's against the rules afterall.

Thanks for the update, SO

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Not sure about how feasible this would be for you to implement SO but would it be possible to build an alert button into chat which would allow someone to send a message to the suggestion/complaint forum with a grab of like the last 25 to 50 lines of chat before the button was pressed, that way it would be far easier to alert staff to douchebaggery in chat before it becomes a problem that gets it shut down and 8 people banned?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Helig
... would it be possible to build an alert button into chat...

Chat is running on a completely different server, not connected to our web cluster of servers... so that would be somewhat difficult. But since it's running in it's own window, it should be too hard to copy the offending comments, and use the normal alert/complain/suggest form.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Helig

Like I said before I have never been in there, but surely there must be an alert button in there?

Seems like these people only have themselves to blame, I don't like anyone getting banned, but seems like they only got themselves to blame.

On a different note;
'douchebaggery'!
What a great word!
Thank you for enhancing my vocabulary.

Edit to add:
Oops, see SO has already explained why there isn't and a possible solution.

[edit on 28/5/10 by Freeborn]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I was just wondering..

A mod mentioned earlier that we should alert staff or file a complaint if we see bad behavior in chat.

I personally think it would be good to have a simple button in the chat that we could press that would possibly U2U staff that are online or something like that. Anyway.. just a thought.

Member to staff communication is something that could change in a small way like this that would benefit all of us in the future. Just a thought.

EDIT: Doh.. scratch this

[edit on 28-5-2010 by broahes]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Ah I wasn't aware of just how the setup functioned, being on a different server does create a host of issues that I doubt you want to get into just for chat. Thanks for clearing it up, however is it acceptable to use screenshots instead of copying the text, I prefer to use pictures because they are a bit more concrete than a simple copy and paste.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join