It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sen. Rockefeller Tells Neil Armstrong: 'I Am a Substantial Skeptic of Human Spaceflight' and America

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Senator Rockefeller, as visionaries go, makes a great blind man.

The Earth, like any birthplace, will soon be too small for us. Space, in all it's glorious majesty, and its incalculable dangers is man's true destiny. As for any fledgling leaving the nest, it'll hold dangers for us...but no more than for our remote, or not so remote, ancestors moving about the Earth in days gone by.

We must, at some point, leave the nest. Maybe not today, maybe not even tomorrow, but soon. Many of our social problems derive from a very real lack of challenges... Not all of 'em, obviously, but many of them. Without challenge, man becomes stagnant, moribund, lethargic...

A challenge as vast as conquering space would be the catalyst, perhaps, that man needs to evolve past his genetic foibles.

Take this for what it's worth. Ramblings?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
No i'm on Rockefeller side for once.

Most the money is spent on spying on the public or defence systems with research into offensive weapons systems and the only reason he has turned agaist more spending is because Russia is better at this than the americans.

Sorry ET fans it's for you own good else ET will get shoot on entry to the earth orbit not that i think man is alone in the universe or anything like that.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
Senator Rockefeller, as visionaries go, makes a great blind man.

The Earth, like any birthplace, will soon be too small for us. Space, in all it's glorious majesty, and its incalculable dangers is man's true destiny. As for any fledgling leaving the nest, it'll hold dangers for us...but no more than for our remote, or not so remote, ancestors moving about the Earth in days gone by.

What so we can screw up other worlds ? i hope not because mother nature is sick of us already and where will the energy come from when we are already in trouble and are going to have real trouble feeding the population as oil gets more exspensive.

i suspect the need to migrate will reduce as people die off due to starvation and if we do exspand then mother nature will come along with a bottle of bleach.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by LieBuster

Of course they are...

That very govt nonsense is why private industry should be involved in the movement out into space.

Aliens? Unlikely. At least no time soon. Our fellow man is alien enough.

It's grandious...maybe even impossible...but we won't reach the stars if we don't try. ...and idiots like Sen. Rockefeller are the problem. He's, most unfortunately, not the only one.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Oh, pishtosh. Screw up other worlds? So that's the excuse for not going that you're going to use?

People evolve. Man will, in the process of moving out amongst the stars, evolve. To say otherwise is silly, borderline nonsense.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
American tax payers money should be spent on much more noble endeavors like invading Countries, bombing civilians and bailing out Wall St.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

Keep thinking that way, pretty soon that same strategy you propose shall be applied to the internet, though I am sure it is already in the works. A tax for every site you visit and every email you send.

You're not reading what I'm writing. IF you want to fund an expensive program like manned space missions, then it should be "PAY AS YOU GO".

As it is now, Nasa is another WHITE ELEPHANT sucking at the teat of the American tax payer, more bureaucracy than viable exploration.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
"That very govt nonsense is why private industry should be involved in the movement out into space. "

But private buishness and the corporations allready control the goverment via bribes and if you look at some of the Google threads on ATS about Goole earth you wlll see what i'm getting at.

During this long flight to the next world the astronaughts will spend their spaire time playing space invaders and monopoly so i'm not sure we should be going no more than the flees that spread the black death.

Hawkins might be right so sending a few dozen people in to space might lead them back to the rats nest and just how many of us do we need in the universe.

Clearly you are a free thinker but hand on heart can you say i'm wrong when you look at the $hit thats going on around you or blame ET is he deals with us the same as we deal with pests.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull

Oh, pishtosh. Screw up other worlds? So that's the excuse for not going that you're going to use?

People evolve. Man will, in the process of moving out amongst the stars, evolve. To say otherwise is silly, borderline nonsense.

Well i'm happy to explore this avenue with you but instead of going off in to fantasy land about what might be lets stick with what we know.

Number one you can not assume we have the time to evolve to any greate degree because we have 7bn people and the soil can not suport that many people without oil base products and we have created super weeds and in our hospitals we have super bugs that will only get worse because antibiotics are becoming ineffective.

Any real steps will need to happen after the population problom is solved and yes i agree not all will die.

So lets start from a point of view that it will not happen anytime soon and will happen when our numbers are reduced so removing the need but not mans nature to go looking.

Do you agree with this so far

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

When I mentioned private enterprise I should have been more exact. For that I apologize...

what I was referring to are the smaller independent contractors. These will be, if allowed to be, the backbone of the movement.

As it stands now? I agree with you so far as Man is concerned. But, nothing in nature remains static. Change is inevitable. Philosophical changes lead to changes in life.

Remember when environmental effects of logging and assorted other industries tore the land apart. In many places those very same processes are all but unnoticeable after reclamation work by the the very same companies that used to leave scars all over the land. Yes, part of it was forced upon them by laws, but a good portion was the realization on their part that it was simply a better way to work.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

OK we have a die off, people learn the lessons of the past so it's becomes a question of want, not need ! i can go with that.

Do you beleive in evolution ? I do.

Like now we will send machines into space due to the time, energy distance and these machines will be smart, the best we can build with the help of other machines like needed today to build a calculator.

You can see where this is going

Lets supose we manage to kill that line of evolution and somehow manage to live in peace with these super computers and both work togeather then we would learn from the machines and they would learn from us so just what would we be sending into space ?

Man will go along with knowlage from a thursand men but it will all fit on to one computer disk and be much safer than sending man and we can all experience it back at home by pluging in.

follow technoligy forwards and look at the logic and it's unlikly we will be sending adam and eve that jump of the spaceship to have a quick shag but some type of machine that may or may not contain biological parts.

if i told you 20 years ago i could fit 32gb of memory into a pen drive you would think i was mad and in 20 years time we will have phone implants (reqad up it's about possible now) and interfaces for X-Box7 so just what will we be in say 200 years time.

Throw in nanotech and would you still say it's man ?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

As it is now, Nasa is another WHITE ELEPHANT sucking at the teat of the American tax payer, more bureaucracy than viable exploration.

Insanity!

NASA is a model for every federal organ to follow. We as Americans, and the planet at large, have received huge benefits from the programs that NASA manages. When compared to the massive fraud and waste in federal departments like the Department of Education and the Department of Agriculture, NASA shames them all for efficiency and productivity.

If anything NASA should be getting more funding.

Like the other poster said, Rockefeller and other criminals like him just want make sure we "useless eaters" don't start getting thoughts of going off and making money in space. They need to make sure only they profit from the high frontier.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Ask yourself this funny question. Why would someone not want to open a mysterious wooden chest they found in the woods?

Because they already know what is in it!

This phony space program is just for show. Its so ancient compared to what is being used secretly right now its not even worth wasting money on. They just cant come out and say that.

There is a BIG difference between what we know and what they know. I'm not sure why but there is a reason to suppress something that is going outside of our current understanding.

Mr Rockefeller is privy to more info than the President. He would surely know if something was a waste of time.

This abandonment of space exploration is quite reveling.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mike_trivisonno

We as Americans, and the planet at large, have received huge benefits from the programs that NASA manages.

Where is our 'levitating cars' benefit from the fifty years of space exploration technology development? Or, has everyone suddenly decided that they no longer want levitating cars?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Larryman

No doubt. While we are using touchscreen iphone's and watching paper thin 3d big screen TV's for some reason our space technology plateaued. Weird huh?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

Weird, or maybe suspicious. Space exploration technology development freezes short of quantum anti-gravity development. NASA won't touch it with a ten-foot pole.

[edit on 5/18/2010 by Larryman]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
maybe rockerfeller is one of us groups that don't believe we landed on the moon. he is skeptical we don't have the capability to fly to the moon. I agree with him even though I don't like him.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Digital_Reality

No doubt. While we are using touchscreen iphone's and watching paper thin 3d big screen TV's for some reason our space technology plateaued. Weird huh?

proof of this? I highly doubt NASA helped invent the touch screen. I believe it was the military that did that.

Nope people lie and think that NASA invents everything.

inventors.about.com...

[edit on 18-5-2010 by dragnet53]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragnet53

proof of this? I highly doubt NASA helped invent the touch screen. I believe it was the military that did that.

inventors.about.com...

That went right over your head man. That was not even close to what I was implying. I know very well they did not invent these things. I was making the observation that with all of the technology advancements our space technology seems to be pretty limited.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragnet53

inventors.about.com...

That went right over your head man. That was not even close to what I was implying. I know very well they did not invent these things. I was making the observation that with all of the technology advancements our space technology seems to be pretty limited.

Indeed it went over my head. yes, you are correct and it seems they are stuck in 1950 mode while the rest of the world has advanced. Even the Japanese have just started to create the first hologram using lights.

Yet NASA wants us to take them seriously....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join