It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major Powers Have a Deal on Sanctions for Iran, U.S. Says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Major Powers Have a Deal on Sanctions for Iran, U.S. Says

www.nytimes.com

The Obama administration announced Tuesday morning that it has struck a deal with other major powers, including Russia and China, to impose new sanctions on Iran, a sharp repudiation of the deal Tehran offered just a day before to ship its nuclear fuel out of the country.

“We have reached agreement on a strong draft with the cooperation of both Russia and China,” Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton told a Senate committee.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www1.voanews.com
www.presstv.ir

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
So Iran...

You thought you could go behind the back of the world's watchdog with your cabal of 3rd world buddies (who undoubtedly "hate our freedoms") and collude to produce some secret, diabolical, multi-lateral deal.......

...that was 10 times more effective than the UN's continual back forth game of sanctions and vetoes?

Oh how dare they! The humanity!

Hot on the heels of Brazil & Turkey mediating what was potentially a successful "Depleted-Fuel-Rods-for-20%-Enriched-Uranium" solution (which is still nowhere near close to weaponization) to Iran's energy program concerns:

The latest deal was brokered by Turkey and Brazil. Under the terms of the proposal, Iran would ship about 2,600 pounds of enriched uranium to Turkey in exchange for fuel rods. Those rods would be enriched to a level strong enough for a research reactor but not a warhead.

www.foxnews.com...

The call comes one day after Iran announced that it had agreed to send some 1,200 kg of its 3.5 percent enriched uranium to Turkey in exchange for a total of 120 kg of 20 percent uranium.

www.presstv.ir...

Congratulations UN. You have just reaffirmed you're utter irrelevance and uselessness in global geo-politics.
Nothing more than vestigial organ from the Cold War who serves to give the United States an air of legitimacy in foreign policy.

That was a brilliantly aimed shot to your own foot.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 18/5/10 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
This game of cat and mouse is getting rather silly now... but at least this round of sanctions will probably come in the form of banning the sale of rubber ducks to Iran.. I mean what scope of sanctions could they all honestly agree on and then implement bar some pointless UN face saving excercise.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Godfather of Conspira
So Iran...

You thought you could go behind the back of the world's watchdog with your cabal of 3rd world buddies (who undoubtedly "hate our freedoms") and collude to produce some secret, diabolical, multi-lateral deal.......

...that was 10 times more effective than the UN's continual back forth game of sanctions and vetoes?

Oh how dare they! The humanity!

Well it might have been easier for them to strike some kind of deal if these powers had decided to stay in the room. Or talked directly to eachother without using proxies.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by belial259]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
China and Russia agree, as they funnel more and more weapons to them and Syria.

I read in another thread that they could block off the gulf oil supply, raise gas to $30 bucks a gallon, and overturn America.

This way the evil Iranians would be to blame for the downfall, not bankers or Washington.

I think the poster was dead on, and hope this is not the plan.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Sanctions are only going to hurt the good people of Iran. We wonder why people around the globe deplore us. Why can't we just leave others alone when they have not bothered us? Oh wait... I can answer this, they had the misfortune of having a bountiful amount of natural resources within their borders.

I would worry about Israel having a nuclear program far before I would worry about Iran. Iran has been completely transparent with their program, stated over and over again that it is for energy and medicinal purposes while being a signatory to the NNPT. Iran has also not been aggressive in an extremely long time. Israel on the other hand has been extremely aggressive, they have not signed the NNPT and they have been super-secretive about their nuclear program. Israel also has a nuclear weapons program, not for peaceful purposes. Iran has been in full compliance with the IAEA while Israel has not even allowed them in.

Israel is far more dangerous than Iran, yet somehow we are going to punish the Iranians. What a sad world we live in.

--airspoon

[edit on 18-5-2010 by airspoon]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Moscow leaves on the conscience of the U.S. statements about the work on resolution on Iran
translate.google.com... l=auto&tl=en

Москва. Moscow. 18 мая. May 18. INTERFAX.RU - В Москве оставляют на совести американской стороны заявление о достигнутой договоренности по проекту новой резолюции СБ ООН по Ирану. INTERFAX.RU - In Moscow, leaving the conscience of the American declaration of agreement on a draft UN resolution on Iran.

"Американцы имеют право на любые заявления", - заявил во вторник "Интерфаксу" источник, близкий к МИД РФ. "Americans have the right to any statements," - said Tuesday, Interfax "a source close to the Foreign Ministry.

По его оценке, на "их совести лежит объективность отражения характера консультаций", прошедших по данной проблеме среди отдельных членов СБ ООН, который состоит из 15 государств. According to him, to "their conscience is objective reflection of the nature of consultations, in the past on this issue among some members of the UN Security Council, which consists of 15 states.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
US is eager to say opinions behalf of others very easily in these issues like we saw in Washington Summit. I will wait Chinas and Russias own statements before I believe its anywhere near the truth.

At this moment in Iranian channels news about this is 100% different.

Lets see further than hawkish Clinton.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Latest in AP - But still this news is only out by US officials, and not a word in Chinese or Russian media. I wont believe before its in RIA or Xinhua...

UN powers back new sanctions against Iran
www.google.com...

I dont get it - why would SCO back USA in this, now when both of their good allies Turkey and Brazil has already solved this mess - or is there Korean question at the table, or something even harder stuff, and somehow playing against all SCO interests?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Yet another move in the grand chess game!

So Iran agrees to give it's material to another country to enrich and now the U.N. are going to punish them anyway.

there is no way out for Iran. they are a marked country and the regime is going down whether they play ball or not.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by breakingdradles

China and Russia agree, as they funnel more and more weapons to them and Syria

Of course they agree! Keep Iran at its knees, keep them scared and frightened and desperate, then they spend more on weapons.

the long con......

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
So - Chinese envoy puts it like this...

Iran sanctions shouldn't hurt normal trade -China

18 May 2010 22:10:22 GMT
Source: Reuters

UNITED NATIONS, May 18 (Reuters) - A new round of U.N. sanctions against Iran, if approved, would not be intended to harm normal trade with Tehran, China's U.N. Ambassador Li Baodong said on Tuesday.

"The purpose of sanctions is to bring the Iranian side to the negotiating table," Li told reporters after the United States circulated a draft sanctions resolution to the 15-nation U.N. Security Council. "The sanctions are not for punishing innocent people and should not harm normal trade."

www.alertnet.org...

Hmmm... Sounds like total compromise to you too?

"Sanctions - but not real sanctions, business as usual" thats guaranteed for China and Russia - so what is this flattened resolution after all?

Just a way to USA to safe its face? Do you see this is anywhere near those "hard punnishments" or "decisive sanctions" what USA/Israel was after just a month ago?

Give me laugh!

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
If you truly dont get this then you have a lot to learn about world politics my friend. Russia and China and the SCO are as in on everything just as the USA and Europe is.

Originally posted by JanusFIN
Latest in AP - But still this news is only out by US officials, and not a word in Chinese or Russian media. I wont believe before its in RIA or Xinhua...

UN powers back new sanctions against Iran
www.google.com...

I dont get it - why would SCO back USA in this, now when both of their good allies Turkey and Brazil has already solved this mess - or is there Korean question at the table, or something even harder stuff, and somehow playing against all SCO interests?

[edit on 18-5-2010 by princeofpeace]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
reply to post by breakingdradles

China and Russia agree, as they funnel more and more weapons to them and Syria

Of course they agree! Keep Iran at its knees, keep them scared and frightened and desperate, then they spend more on weapons.

the long con......

Iran on it's knees and scared?

lol

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

No, you are hinting about way too easy answer...

Ive learned whats out from world wide conspiracies, and its way too easy answer to think there is only one great conspiracy. But thats vert usual way to see this in USA and amongst many westerners, who think West is ruling the world - sorry to say - but thats still a distant dream.

We have all the evidence from Eastern block, which has raise to very high status almost from dust since collapse of USSR. Thats formed mostly with inside SCO, and it has grown fast as todays worldwide strategical player.

Middle Eastern block is managed mostly from Tehran (Iran) - and also there is one great force in Middle Asia (India). Basically I see how humans are living under four major conspiracies, and of course several smaller ones - and what is on the table now is future of ME block, also known as "Muslim elites."

USA/EU/Israel has still long way to go to conquer whole world and to achieve world domination - new american century. Optimistic I am, and I also see that it will not happen, not even by WW3 where everyone will only loose in reaching that absurd goal.

Follow the keyword "Multipolarism" and you will learn further to truth.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Ok - First news on Russian media are more alarming than giving suport to sanctions... Announcing some kind of double game is on?

Russia concerned about unilateral U.S., EU sanctions against Iran

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has expressed concern over reports that the U.S. and EU are preparing unilateral sanctions against Iran in addition to a draft Security Council resolution currently being discussed.

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said earlier in the day that Washington, Moscow and Beijing have come to an agreement on a new Security Council resolution, thought to impose another set of sanctions against the Islamic Republic. She also said that the U.S. would push for the soonest adoption of the new resolution.

"[In a phone conversation] Lavrov also expressed concern over coming reports about the intentions of the U.S. and the European Union to go beyond a collective Security Council position on Iran and to impose unilateral sanctions," the Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

The Foreign Ministry said the unilateral sanctions would include measures "of extraterritorial nature, beyond the agreed decisions of the international community and contradicting the principle of the rule of the international law, enshrined in the UN Charter."

en.rian.ru...

- This can totally broke Russia-China-EU-USA, UN relations?

Very possible.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Debka says what I said too after reading Chinese official statement - this UN resolution if it comes out from UN means really just nothing... I think too that Israels ministers really need to meet amd figure something new to push their wanmongering forward.

Sanctions against Iran are a dead letter. Israeli ministers meet

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs could not admit Monday, May 18, that Iran's Brazil- and Russia-assisted ploy for shipping a portion of its light-enriched uranium to friendly Turkey to swap for 19.5 percent grade fuel had finally snatched the sanctions option - even unilateral ones - out of American hands.

Gibbs was left with gravely intoning that the US government "wished to make it clear to the Iranian government that it must demonstrate through deeds - and not simply words - its willingness to live up to international obligations, or face consequences, including sanctions." His words were no better than a face-saver, after Iranian, Brazilian and Turkish leaders joined hands in Tehran to celebrate their success in bringing the Obama administration's strategy for aborting Iran's drive for a nuclear weapon tumbling down.

Brazilian president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva "Lula" and Turkish prime minister Recep Erdogan, backed by Moscow, had achieved this by a signing a draft agreement for Iran to export some 1,200 kilograms of its lightly enriched uranium to Turkey for reprocessing to 19.5 percent grade.

www.debka.com...

new topics

top topics

join