It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Riddle me this Athiests...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

You can't have it both ways. If Christians are allowed to claim God exists and go around telling people they will be damned to an eternal pit of torment forever for their disbelief than I have the right to burst that bubble by pointing out the BS that fills religion and the illogical self-contradictions of the Bible. If one has the right to express belief than one has the right to express a lack of belief.
So, you see how wrongful it is to go around claiming you have the answer, and feeding lies to people. So, why not be the bigger "man", if you will, and not stoop to their level. It's not going to help if you go around claiming their is no God, and their faith is meaningless. You're right, it can go both ways, but it doesn't do either "side" any good. You do have the right to express a lack of belief, and point out the BS in religion, I certainly do...but do you like it when believers try to tell you with such certainty that God exist, yet provide you with only words of faith. From the perspective of a "believer", this is how it must feel when an Atheist tries to say with such certainty that there is no God. Both like little kids constantly bickering at each other.

[edit on 19/5/10 by CHA0S]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by havok
I am not Atheist, but I do want to add this.

I believe that the reason people denounce God is this:

Because they don't want to be held accountable for their actions.

I can't get any simpler than that.
Look around, CHA0S, and see that society doesn't have morals anymore.
You can't tell people they are doing something wrong.
Children are getting more spoiled by the second these days and it is getting worse.

Gluttony, Greed, Lust, all the 'deadly' sins are more prevalent now than ever.
I guess if you don't believe these things are wrong, then you are not in the subject matter.
You could say that there's no evidence, but that would be way too easy.

Now, there are genuinely good people on Earth. I am not saying everyone is evil.
But you are however saying people don't believe in god so they can be evil.

But from what I see, 80% of the people I meet do not see the consequences in their actions. Good or bad.
And apparantly you surveyed these people on their beliefs or lack thereof.

Its usually the bad actions that have the worst consequences. Obviously.
SO if you don't believe in God, you don't need to believe that you will be held accountable for everything you do.
That makes life much easier.
And if you do believe in god, you can just pray for forgiveness everytime you do something wrong. That makes life much easier.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I dont believe in any god or gods the proof is in front of your eyes when u look out the window or on the news - Can you See God. Is he out there protecting everyone from the wars and illness? NO he aint.
We are supposed to be made in his image by his design? then why do we still have genetic flaws in our species. Was it Gods wish to put cancer and other fatal diseases into our gene pools? If we are made in gods image why do we have sicko murderer's and peado's and the like?. Please dont give me that free will B######T.
God is the creation of man! not the other way round. we choose to give life and take it while god is know were to be seen. If we are a creation of god then why do we all look different, what colour skin does god have?.

Heaven is also a creation of man because we fear death and having some place to go and spend time with our family when we are dead is the only hope we have. so we believe in god for those reasons.

What do we wear when we get there is it a physical reality or a spiritual reality. what do we eat? can we have sex with our wife? can we have a good time and drink bear and wine? is it cold or to hot? do we all have to sit in some strange field and stare at god or what??? what can we do when we get there?? see its all bull# to control your thoughts and make you live a good life without causing the goverments to much trouble.

Do you think if there was really a God our leaders would send soldiers abroad to kill innocents. Any taking of life is a sin accordingto god!?
Its ok for them to do so because they know the truth and thats god does not exist thats why they can be responsible for the deaths of millions without having to suffer punishment when they die because there is no such place as heaven or hell.

Life is a force that exists in the universe just like gravity, Its a fundamental part of our universe its got nothing to do with a divine creator.

Things will change when we do eventually have proof that life is abundent in our own galaxy as well as the universe.

We are gonna look so dim when finaly we meet a higher developed race of beings from another planet and they have no concept of a creator or a divine being. what will we do then bully them into thinking there is just to satisfy our own beliefs.

This for example Link Rofl

[edit on 19/5/10 by Ezappa]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

People that say "Riddle me this" are attention whores, first and foremost.

Uhh..

tl;dr

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ezappa
I dont believe in any god or gods the proof is in front of your eyes when u look out the window or on the news - Can you See God. Is he out there protecting everyone from the wars and illness? NO he aint.

That's hardly proof that there's no God.
Why would a God or Gods neccessarily have to protect everyone from war and illness ?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I don't care if there is a god or if there is not one.
I don't see the point in trying to solve the unsolvable.
I can make one claim about the whole thing though, which is the only real answer:
When you die. You'll find out who was right if any of them were right.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by CHA0S
You Atheists aren't as smart as you think, in fact, whilst claiming to be the most rational and down to Earth people, you are completely ignoring the scientific method all together, and jumping to conclusions. . . It's just as arrogant to say God does exist as it is to say he doesn't.

It's the person making the ridiculous claim that has the burden of proof.

Why should I believe in your chosen sky fairy? Following the scientific method I await your links to said proof. What don't have any? So who is being the arrogant one?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

People that say "Riddle me this" are attention whores, first and foremost.
Well, it got your attention, so touche.

[edit on 19/5/10 by CHA0S]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Live your life. You'll die, we all do, if any of the creator myths are true you'll experience it. If not well you'll be dead and it won't matter will it ?

Stop sweating the small stuff. Just live.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
reply to post by havok

Absolute rubbish. I do not need a God or Religion to know that Murder is wrong, Stealing is Wrong (Apart from in a survival situation), Adultery is Wrong, Gluttony is Wrong, Greed is Wrong. There is nothing wrong with lust however. We are Human Beings.

Your average person is much more accountable for their actions (Police, fellow peers, family) than Corporations and Governments.

Not absolute rubbish.
I said that not everyone is evil.
I never said you need God to believe these things either.
My personal opinion is pretty clear.

I am glad you see the rights and wrongs of things, it makes you smarter than most.

I agree with you on corruption in gov't.

Sorry, but afaik one of the rules of one of the god-clubs is that you can Murder, Steal, be greedy and gluttonous, and fornicate as much as you like, as long as you sit in a box once a week and tell one of their boys about it.
Religion is a savety net for amoral behaviour.
(It was gods will, just repent, poor sinner, your actions dont matter, you are not responsible, and therefore not accountable)

Do you not kill because there is something obviously unjust about it, or because if you do god would get pissed?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by CHA0S
reply to post by mothershipzeta

So, all they have to do is prove a negative? Sorry, but the default position is "there is/are no god(s)," since nothing shows existence of any deities except books written (and repeatedly translated) thousands of years ago.
Why is "there is/are no god(s)" the freaking default position?!?

You have to learn about religion and faith to believe in it. Therefore, the default position is not to have a belief in a deity. We aren't pre-programmed to believe in one. It isn't an instinct. Thus, it's the default position.

To be fair, the belief in the sun revolving around the earth is also the default, since it's completely logical based upon observation. However, this position has been proven incorrect via other sources.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Sums it all up nicely:

SKY CAKE! (NSFW language)

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

The notion that atheists become atheists simply in order to avoid cosmic consequences for their actions is so completely misguided it defies contemplation.

American society is defined by approximately an 80% christian popultion. America has the highest murder rate, highest number of people in prisons, highest rate of abortions, highest rates of drug use, is nearly perpetually at war with other nations, etc.

Societies with the highest rates of atheism have the least amonts of these social and cultural problems.

You should probably do some more homework on the subject of atheism so that in the future you don't make such easily refutable, ill-thought points.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

The notion that atheists become atheists simply in order to avoid cosmic consequences for their actions is so completely misguided it defies contemplation.

American society is defined by approximately an 80% christian popultion. America has the highest murder rate, highest number of people in prisons, highest rate of abortions, highest rates of drug use, is nearly perpetually at war with other nations, etc.

Societies with the highest rates of atheism have the least amonts of these social and cultural problems.

You should probably do some more homework on the subject of atheism so that in the future you don't make such easily refutable, ill-thought points.

How many of the "80%" of christians are responsible for those crimes?

If your that upset in life over america's crime, go live overseas and stop your bitching.

There are worser places to live.

Some would give anything to live your life.

I wouldn't choose any other country on earth to live in other than america.

Sure our governemt is corrupt, but that doesn't neccasarily mean your life has to be either.

Just be happy.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by Solofront]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solofront

How many of the "80%" of christians are responsible for those crimes?

Religious preference of U.S. inmates:

Catholic 39.164%
Protestant 35.008%
Rasta 1.987%
Jewish 1.773%
Church of Christ 1.744%
Pentecostal 1.463%
Jehovah Witness 0.890%
Adventist 0.831%
Orthodox 0.502%
Mormon 0.399%

Judeo-Christian Total 83.761%

source: www.holysmoke.org...

If your that upset in life over america's crime, go live overseas and stop your bitching.

I'm not bitching, I'm refuting someone's ridiculous claims.

Sure our governemt is corrupt, but that doesn't neccasarily mean your life has to be either.

I wasn't talking about corrupt government. I was associating a country's high percentages of religious belief with high percentages of social problems.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by traditionaldrummer]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
There is no "I prefer to be this, I prefer to be that" your either something or your not.

What I meant to ask was, how many of the criminals were of christian faith DURING the act of the crime?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solofront
There is no "I prefer to be this, I prefer to be that" your either something or your not.

What I meant to ask was, how many of the criminals were of christian faith DURING the act of the crime?

Golly, you're a clever one, aren't ya?

Are there any intelligent theists here that have an intelligent comment to make? Thanks in advance.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

I tend to believe in things that I have some evidence for.

There is evidence for the supernatural, alien existence and many other things that others believe to be false, and yet those same people can quite happily believe in a God that they have even less evidence to suggest exists.

And, I abhor organized religion. I truly believe it is the most damaging and dangerous entity on the planet.
Don't get me wrong, people should have the right to believe what they want, but the moment they cross a line and start telling others that their lifestyle or choices are wrong, that's not on.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
There is evidence for the supernatural, alien existence and many other things that others believe to be false

Actually there is no positive evidence for the supernatural or alien existence. There are only things that give people reasons to believe in them should they choose to do so.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
@detachedindividual

Many define "supernatural" in a variety of ways, as in "Super-Nature = Physcical" or "Super-Nature = Paranormal/Non-Physical"

When you say there is evidence for the supernatural, please elaborate a bit for the less knowledgable on the subject.

"Aliens" could vey well be classified as physical and/or paranormal, depending on how advance they have grown and where their iintellegence level sits.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join