It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the Russians Banned Microwave Ovens

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I think they were seriously on target with this. I'm considering throwing out my own Microwave Oven.

Is a few minutes of convenience worth a lifetime of bad health, in the form of carcinogens?

Twenty years of Russian research (and German studies as far back as 1942 Berlin) make a strong argument against the safety of microwave cooking.

Their findings led the Russian government to issue an international warning about possible biological and environmental damage associated with the use of microwave ovens and other similar frequency electronic devices (e.g. mobile phones).

* Russian investigators found that carcinogens were formed from the microwaving of nearly all foods tested.

* The microwaving of milk and grains converted some of the amino acids into carcinogenic substances.

* Microwaving prepared meats caused the formation of the cancer-causing agents d-Nitrosodienthanolamines.

* Thawing frozen fruits by microwave converted their glucoside and galactoside fractions into carcinogenic substances.

* Extremely short exposure of raw, cooked or frozen vegetables converted their plant alkaloids into carcinogens.

* Carcinogenic free radicals were formed in microwaved plants—especially root vegetables.

* Structural degradation leading to decreased food value was found to be 60 to 90 percent overall for all foods tested, with significant decreases in bioavailability of B complex vitamins, vitamins C and E, essential minerals, and lipotropics (substances that prevent abnormal accumulation of fat).

Source:
articles.mercola.com...

Related: Microwave use in Chemical Reactions
en.wikipedia.org...
homepages.ed.ac.uk...

[edit on 18-5-2010 by zzombie]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
What does structural degradation of essential minerals mean? Is for example iron going to turn into something else in the microwave (like fusion in stars?
)? I know a little chemistry (more than most) and that claim sounds.. how to put it.. ridiculous.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by rhinoceros]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
suppose for a moment, how amino acids & fatty acid esters etc degrade in a microwave to carboxilic acids, nitroso substituted amino acids etc. These might bind greater to minerals like magnesium instead of giving them up.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by rhinoceros
What does structural degradation of essential minerals mean? Is for example iron going to turn into something else in the microwave (like fusion in stars?
)? I know a little chemistry (more than most) and that claim sounds.. how to put it.. ridiculous.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by rhinoceros]

Spot on.
I think there should be a differentiation between the effects on organic tissue and the possible effects on inorganic matter.
The only thing i can think of is the outer electron layer excitation, im a little rusty on my chems.

EDIT: Ah, i just read the next poster, that seems more plausible

[edit on 18/5/2010 by drakus]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
this reminds me of the thread about a woman that tested purified and microwaved water on plants, she had only 2 test plants, and the one with microwaved water didn't grow well.

I was amazed at all the reactions, she only used 2 types of water on 2 plants.

If she would only have used boiled water for a third plant the experiment would have been debunked instantly.

And she didn't have any control group to compare, it was pathetic.

I rather keep my microwave.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by zzombie

High temperature denatures proteins. There's nothing weird about that. It happens no matter how you cook your food.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by rhinoceros

Proteins can loose there shape or even be reorganized into harmful substances by the bombardment of microwave emissions. That is how they can be converted to different substances by a microwave oven. Just like too much time in the sun can damage your DNA and cause skin cancer a microwave can cause damage and cancerous agents by hitting food.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by zzombie

Like it or not..something is going to kill you.
Like it or not that very thing will be directly related to your diet.
Doesn't matter if you nuke it or not..food these days is not even real food, it's a frankenstein copy of the real thing.
If the radioactive TV dinners don't kill you..all the additives in everything else you eat will.
*Pops a gummy bear in her mouth.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Yes heat denatures protein, no argument there.

Microwaves can be used to increase chemical reaction rates, exponentially, over regular heating methods, because of Dipolar Polarisation.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Great, another thing causes cancer.

Seeing how grilling food also causes cancer it seems in some cases you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

It's not going to stop me usding the microwave.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by BlankSlate

Before You Grill Another Burger or Cook Another Steak …

Get out your arsenal of spices and mix up a blend to use on beef, one for chicken and another for lamb or any other type of meat you cook on a regular basis.

In the latest study, adding a spice blend to burgers reduced the level of malondialdehyde, a chemical marker for oxidation, in the meat by 71 percent and levels in participants’ urine by 49 percent.

This benefit likely comes from spices’ potent antioxidant content. On a per gram fresh weight basis, oregano and other herbs rank even higher in antioxidant activity than fruits and vegetables, which are known to be high in antioxidants too.

You can experiment with a range of spices, as each will have a unique set of health benefits to offer, but even the popular stand-bys will help to boost the medicinal value of your meal. For instance, for the above study researchers used a blend of:
Cloves
Cinnamon
Oregano
Rosemary
Ginger
Black pepper
Paprika
Garlic powder

articles.mercola.com...

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Tue May 18 2010 by Jbird]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Ooooohhhh. Maybe microwaves are the key to Alchemy. Perhaps if we microwave lead on "high" for long enough, we can get gold!

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Man, there should be an ATS cook-off.

I've got a microwave, it's seen about an hours use in 5+ years, I just don't like the way things taste coming out of it at all, especially meat.

I don't know much about chemistry at all, but I'm willing to trust in the OP - especially as it won't impact my life at all.

Interesting about the use of spices in cooking too... fancy a Vindaloo now.

Diet and psychology? Anyone got decent links/news?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Every since I was a kid and we got our first microwave I have been complaining of headaches from microwaved meat. My mother and wife do not believe it, but I have been 100% accurate in spotting microwaved meats in my lifetime.

You can boil, grill, or skillet fry a hot dog or baloney and I will eat my weight in it. If you put one in the microwave, after about 5 minutes I develop a headache and I start looking for the cook.

I can be at a party with someone grilling and no suspicion of a microwave in sight, eat hotdogs all day, and then all of a sudden I eat a hot dog, develop a headache and go ask if they ran out of hotdogs and had to microwave some, and I always get "yes" as the answer.

I am a chemist, but I have never done any experiments on my own. I know that a microwave works by aligning the spin of the subatomic particles in the water portion of a food, thus creating friction within a molecule and heating the food from the inside out. This sounds harmless enough and really should not alter the content of the food. I also know that even grilled foods contain carcinogens from the process of cooking and blackening. Still, my personal experiences tell me that microwaved hot dogs and baloney give me headaches, and I am certain about that!

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
I have been 100% accurate in spotting microwaved meats in my lifetime.

Don't hide that skill in a bushel basket, my friend.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by The_Zomar]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Zomar

I have been 100% accurate in spotting microwaved meats in my lifetime.

Don't hide that skill in a bushel basket, my friend.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by The_Zomar]

I am used to overly explaining it, and even then I don't think anyone buys my story. Oh well I guess.

I liken it to the "legs" in wine. A lot of people complain of headaches from wine that they don't get with other alcoholic drinks. (Probably caused by sulfites.) For someone that does not get the headaches, it seems unbelievable, but for someone that likes the taste of wine, but occasionally gets a severe headache from certain types or vintages, the problem is all too real!

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
We had a microwave, once. We threw it in the trash, eventually. And a lot of people tried to offer us one, but we said no.
For people around us, living without a microwave was like being a caveman... They just couldn't understand.

Many eventually had to take tons of food supplement in forms of pills and capsules and such... They are consistently sick...

Recently, I discovered the pleasure of cooking meat pies and fruit pies... hmmm! You can't get that tasty yummy hot plate from a microwave... at least, not for more than 30 seconds... then it falls apart... yuck! Boo! microwaves!

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Im going to start eating the grass in the yard. You know it has good nutrients in it, but be careful of the dog next door that urinated the previous day. ANYTHING you eat has some sort of problem with it. BE VERY CAREFUL of the germs and toxins on the food before cooking. That , my friend is alot more dangerous than the microwave,grilling or boilling. Do you wash the food you eat. NEXT time you pick up a strawberry and eat it remember to wash it first. You may be eating some pesticides with it. The meat you eat may have came from a cow or pig that was treated with hormones. DID you ask the farmer how he raised the animals before they went to slaughter? You just don't know. Sure, regulations on things,are you absolutely positive that the regulator did his job. I use to work for companies that cut corners in cleanning so that they have more run time of products. This meant more bad bacteria on the products you eat. Also, but i cannot prove, having a 3 hour window when called before inspectors arrive. WITH THAT SAID, i think i would rather use the microwave, i feel much more safe.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by nite owl

That , my friend is alot more dangerous than the microwave,grilling or boilling. Do you wash the food you eat. NEXT time you pick up a strawberry and eat it remember to wash it first. You may be eating some pesticides with it.

You know what is really funny about that? First off you are correct....if the food came from a store, but what if you grew it yourself?

My wife was very hard to convince that we don't need to wash the fruit off of our own plants. We don't use pesticides or hormones. The only thing on the fruits is the natural yeast and rain water.

It was so hard to convince her that the food in the store is "dirtier" than the food on the tree or bush in the backyard! She finally came around, but it was an extremely funny argument.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

You know what is really funny about that? First off you are correct....if the food came from a store, but what if you grew it yourself?

My wife was very hard to convince that we don't need to wash the fruit off of our own plants. We don't use pesticides or hormones. The only thing on the fruits is the natural yeast and rain water.

Well as you say, rain water...had a look at what was in your local rain water lately? Depending on where you live, it's somewhere between 'might as well' wash it and 'yeah, you definitely want to wash it.'

Also, in addition to yeast and rain water, you're forgetting air pollution in the form of little bits of dust ('particulate') would also be getting on it. Heck, even without any horrible pollutant in particular, dust is stuff like dirt, skin, bug poop, any little this and that.

I'm not one of those guys who freaks out over every little 'unclean' thing but uh...yeah why not wash it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join