It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi woman beats up religious police officer who stopped her for walking with a man

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doujutsu
I hope the West comes in and saves them all.

The muslim women who are already living in the West are also enjoying the freedom as we see everyday.And people say Muslims don't intergrate?

Yea they sure are, just check out the hotness of the recent Miss USA. I think middle eastern women are smoking hot.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
To have 'morality police' actually following people around is out of line.

Arent all police officers morality officers? If a policeman in this country sees a crime, whether he agrees with it or not, he is obliged to do something. Like here in NY, it is illegal to drive while talking on a cell phone. If the officer observes this, he must act, he cannot act sometimes and not at others, because this is inconsistent.

And before you scream "How dare you compare this to a cellphone", its their laws. If you dont like, go start a revolution in their land. You can scream all you want about how you dont like their laws, but you cant do anything about it....much like they hate our laws and our outlandish culture, but are unable to stop it.

Either learn acceptance and tolerance (even when the other side is not tolerant), or go pick up a gun. What was it Jesus said about cheeks?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca

I hope the West comes in and saves them all.

The muslim women who are already living in the West are also enjoying the freedom as we see everyday.And people say Muslims don't intergrate?

Yea they sure are, just check out the hotness of the recent Miss USA. I think middle eastern women are smoking hot.

If i was you i would be more worried about indian galz running off with muslim and black men.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   

If i was you i would be more worried about indian galz running off with muslim and black men.

Why should I be worried? Is it wrong for them to find a partner of whom they have feelings for?

*snip*

mod edit: removed personal snipe

[edit on 18-5-2010 by Duzey]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

Oh dear. Another post assuming because we criticize elsewhere, we must just love what goes on over here.

Sorry. No. I get sick to death of the horror stories we hear coming from our part of the world with ego tripping, taser-happy, nothing-better-to-do officers. Fight real crime. Don't pull me over and taze me in front of my children because you don't like my bumper sticker.

Likewise, don't stop a woman on a street because she is mixing with company you don't approve of.

I also noticed you used the word 'scream' twice. Nobody's screaming. My post was calm and to the point. If my opinion makes you sense a tone that it isn't there, I don't know what else to tell you.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Why would you even say such a thing?
Especially in that format.

And what does that have to do with anything???

[edit on 18-5-2010 by ModernAcademia]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Hi, can I have your attention for another moment?

The little personal snipes at each other will end now. As of this post, any further little remarks will result in the entire post being removed as off-topic. If this doesn't deter the attacks, postbans will follow.

Thank you.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I'd like to see a video of this incident.
Maybe this will be the start of new video collection called
"Burkas Gone Wild".

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   

But resistance to the draconian measures - fuelled and empowered by the internet - has been growing in recent months.
www.huffingtonpost.com...

Fueled by the internet???

'There is some sort of change taking place,' Nadya Khalife, the Middle East women's rights researcher for Human Rights Watch, told The Media Line.
www.huffingtonpost.com...

Oh I sure do hope so!!!

Another issue as this incident begins to be investigated inside Saudi Arabia, is keeping the story public so that the woman will not end up being subjected to harsh imprisonment or some other punishment from the Saudi religious right.

It takes real courage to rise up against the Saudi religious police. The women of Saudi Arabia have a new heroine, now they need to protect her.

Interesting!
Well this is the ObamaPaper a.ka. huffington post.
I agree with what they say though.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Good for her, I applaud her for her bravery to stand up for what she believes in. I fear that something horrible is going to happen to this woman though because of this.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Ok I need to say this, stop saying muslim countries are in the dark ages!
Honestly I wonder how many of you saying this have ever been there? I wonder how many of you actually know many of the laws there, or the history, or the differences between muslim countries. You come in and flap your gums off, but guess what, different places have different ways of doing things and different cultures. Maybe we don't like the culture, but thats looking at it through our eyes.

We just presume the rest of the world is exactly like us in every way, and anybody who isn't is obviously some how less advanced. Just take a trip to an actual muslim country, most don't care about this stuff, just cover your arms and legs and don't show too much public affection (looking at some young couples this might not be a bad thing with how they maul each other). Not every muslim is some extremist who wants to have every woman as a servant and every westerner destroyed, id say thats less than 1% of muslims!

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by bonnieprince

Bonnieprince
ok thanks for the reality check.
Now by any chance can you fill us in on how women are treated where this happened? Generally speaking that is.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Well personally, I get tired of people saying "we have to respect other cultures" when the thing about the other culture we are criticizing is their lack of respect for other human beings and their freedoms.

Doesnt that strike you the least bit ironic? That you would be arguing that OUR cultural ideal of respect for differences should be applied to a culture who does not share that ideal of freedom?

In a very odd way, if we marched in and used violence and force to bend them to our will, we WOULD be respecting their culture. Because that is exactly what THEY do.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

Just quickly in reply since I need to get to class. 70% of people enroled in university are women (although only 5% make up the saudi workforce, but a lot do go overseas). The government is actually trying to reform things right now to allow them more openness. (im just using wiki as a source right now cause this needs to be quick). But if you want some good examples of how women are treated in muslim countries (there are heaps), look at pre invasion Iraq, a lot of the countries surrounding Israel, Pakistan is pretty good unless you go into the tribal regions, Indonesia, Burma. Not every muslim country has Sharia' law, and there is evidence the Saudi government wants to reform it.

Sorry this had to be quick, i'll get back to it and respond with some full facts in a few hours once I get back..

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Sorry for the double post.

I personally believe, since we are talking about values, we should apply our values of freedom and such to everyone, regardless as then we have the moral high ground... If you go around oppressing people who believe in oppression, how will your moral example compel them to change

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by bonnieprince
If you go around oppressing people who believe in oppression, how will your moral example compel them to change

I dont know, why dont you ask the Nazi's how violence compelled them to stop being oppressive?

Last time I checked we did not end that little human rights disaster by standing around throwing flowers and lovebeads at them.

In that case, a violent and oppressive minority seized control of a whole country and terrorized or killed any dissenters from within. It is often the same with religious fanaticism. How do you know the majority of the people of that country WANT that extremist form of religious policing? How do you know the majority of the people would not be relieved if that hold was broken and a more moderate form of Islam were allowed to thrive?

Would you feel the same about respect for their culture if slavery were the cultural issue? Or ethnic cleansing?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Muslim countries as a whole are not, yet the practices in some, the fundamentalism that primarily overtook some countries that were progressive, modern and more equal, via baby formula and a modicum of aid for families that otherwise had none (I've read quite a few books on this, one female journalist who was in many regions for over a decade), but.....for those countries that went backwards to beheadings, cutting limbs hands off people and applying horrendous primitive conditions written literally ages ago, that is the dark ages. We have progressed beyond those primitve barbaric conditions. Christians don't apply those things literally either. Though I keep reading threads wondering why they don't.

Do you know that the mainstream historical Christian Churches such as Catholic, Anglican, Lutheran, etc, teach and have as theological principles that the scriptures are allgegorical, not to be taken literally, and heaviliy influenced by the culture of the time.

While some fundamentalists may not appreciate this, its at least a saving grace, and alot more intelligent.

This isn't about Christians vs Muslim for there are interesting ET type info in both, loving passages in both and a lot of control in both.

However I consider it dark ages to act like the dark ages, its like if you talk like a duck, walk like a duck, act like a duck, look like a duck, you're a duck!

And I do believe that everyone in every country has beauty, idealism, goodness, love, honor, decency, intelligence, progressiveness, joy, happiness, and that we're all the Infinite Family of Light, and need to focus on what we can share as wisdoms and strengths as much as possible.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Another great topic, but we are reminded that things continue to be rather dark in the world. No, I would not wish to bash Islam because of this particular incident. I have known Muslims, and as usual, once you get to know people, they aren't so bad, in fact, they're a whole lot like you and I.

But this thread made me think about another recent news item. Miss USA, a Muslim? I personally enjoyed seeing her in her bikini, like most Western males, and a day later, I learned that the young lady was in a "strip" contest previously as well. Uh, does this sound "Muslim" to anyone out there?

No, I don't want to get off-topic here, but as a die-hard conspiratologist, I do have to wonder why this rather unusual juxtaposition of news items has come before me (and millions of others). When I saw that a "Muslim" woman had won Miss USA, I instantly had a bad feeling. My goodness, are the Powers-That-Be about to pull another horrible crime on us all? I would hate to see a beautiful young woman used, and probably by the time it's over, abused (or worse), but something seems very weird about this.

If you believe that our masters exert almost total control at this point, that perhaps they could even bring down skyscrapers in broad daylight, in the middle of Manhattan, then when we see a very unusual choice for Miss USA, shouldn't we stop, and wonder what our masters might be up to? I truly hope they are not planning on anything, but then, few things seem to happen by chance anymore.

Wouldn't it just fit right in with what they have been constantly shoving down our throats, if "Muslim extremists", like the kind who get mad about Mohamed cartoons, or the ones who wanted to kill Salman Rushdie, etc., decided to focus on this poor young girl, and do something to outrage us all? Again, I hate to even think about it, but every time "odd" things happen, I have to think that "they" are up to something. Time will tell, but I wonder if anyone else has also had such suspicions?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by JR MacBeth
Miss USA, a Muslim? I personally enjoyed seeing her in her bikini, like most Western males, and a day later, I learned that the young lady was in a "strip" contest previously as well. Uh, does this sound "Muslim" to anyone out there?

You don't know Jews that eat pork? Catholics that use contraception? Do I really need to point out that religious observance is always measured in degrees of orthodoxy?

It runs from fundamentalism to chilligion. And it always will.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join