It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi woman beats up religious police officer who stopped her for walking with a man

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Can I have your attention please?

Touchy subject, heated emotions - I get that.

However, when there are posts that break the T&C, I would appreciate an alert of the issue.

Responding and quoting the text only creates more work for the moderating staff and is, in itself, off-topic. If the quoting continues, the offending posts will also be removed as off topic to save me the work of editing them.

Thank you.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by Duzey]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Some news sources are stating that she has lots of local support behind her, the police are refusing to comment on the matter.

They are probably waiting until her bruises fade.

I say she starts a female warrior army

VIVA LA REVOLUCION!!!

I'll volunteer my services i have experience

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
At last the first piece of good news I have heard this year!!!

Rise up all Saudi People (women ) and dish this kind of JUSTICE to these scum!!!

Police are the worst kind of criminal.

Good for you woman, now hopefully they dont find you cos you will unfortunately be destroyed by that animalistic country!

If there was a time or country to war, it should be for Human Rights.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by C11H17N2NaO2S]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca
Its quite sad that such a practice even takes place in the modern world. There was a thread up that showed what the culture in Iran looked like before the hard-line clerics took over. I was never aware that an Islamic country such as Iran before the take over looked so much like the western culture of those days.

I truly doubt there would be any Islamic states were it not for the meddling of the US and Britain in middle eastern affairs. The backlash against us is what created the opportunity for a fundamentalist religious state.
We bear in part the burden of knowing that this woman may be killed or tortured simply because we didn;t respect these nations (Iran) or because we're in bed with them (Arab emirates, Saudis) and fail to redress them for the abuse of women.
How can we invade Iraq to "free" them when women in Saudi Arabia are treated like household pets? Our foreign policy is rarely about the high ideals they espouse it to be.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Booyah! Haha this is great, especially if she gets enough support behind her. Thanks to the internet these sadistic practices by religious zealots treating women like animals or slaves are getting exposed to the world. Wow... I had no idea that SA didn't allow a non married man and woman socialize in public.. not allowed to drive? not allowed to do anything.. I would always be this naive if it wasn't for the internet. I'm sick and tired of religion altogether.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
The Saudi women should unite to hold off on sex to hit the point across.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

Isn't that what they tried in Africa?
I doubt that this would work in SA
In fact i'm positive it wouldn't work in SA.

Crazy world we live in, crazy people A think they are better than Crazy people B and crazy people B think they are better than crazy people A.
When in fact both of them are crazy!

In my opinion, education will ALWAYS be the key

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Everyone should search for this story on the various web search engines to drive up the stories buzz, so that more people find out about this.

Maybe this will build an international audience, and support for this woman.

Looks like good times for Muslim women, they have a U.S.A beauty queen, and a Saudi woman stood up against the religious police.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Apparently these aren't the only women fighting back.

www.secularism.org.uk...

Two Saudi women who were stopped by the religious police in the Eastern Province of the country because they were “dolled up” fought back last week. They shouted that the agents of the feared Commission for the Propagation of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice were “terrorists” and one sprayed the men with a tear gas-like irritant. One of the women filmed the incident, as the policemen tried to berate the women for wearing traces of make-up.

It seems that Iran is not the only Muslim country where the people are fighting back against religious extremism.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
reply to post by prionace glauca

Isn't that what they tried in Africa?
I doubt that this would work in SA
In fact i'm positive it wouldn't work in SA.

Why does one have to follow the West to be deemed 'normal' or 'progressive'?

Every nation has its own way of doing things.

If Saudi is soo backwards than why is US best pals with it and why are US soldiers there to protect it? It's the same country that stones adulteres to death after Friday prayers every week and hangs gays openly.Whats the point fighting taliban and giving freedom to Afghan women when on the other hand you stand shoulder to shoulder with the most extreme sect of Islam?

Its the same ol same ol story, no one dares question the hypocrisy.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by Doujutsu]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
Looks like good times for Muslim women, they have a U.S.A beauty queen, and a Saudi woman stood up against the religious police.

*snip*

The internet 'buzz' can be controlled according to what the leaders want their audience to see in their countries.

And if Saudi decides to make an example of the Saudi women, the rest will sit down and shutup automatically.

mod edit: removed personal snipe

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Doujutsu

You should re-read my post
I never said anything like that

I called SA religious extremism and I also called the U.S. the opposite form of extremism.

If you read my posts you'll find me quite impartial!

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doujutsu
I think your living in a koo koo land!

The internet 'buzz' can be controlled according to what the leaders want their audience to see in their countries.

And if Saudi decides to make an example of the Saudi women, the rest will sit down and shutup automatically.

*snip*

I propose this question to you...do you think its okay for Saudi Women to be made example of to shut up any of the dissenters?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doujutsu
I think your living in a koo koo land!

And you must be the President of Koo Koo land.

I propose this question to you...do you think its okay for Saudi Women to be made example of to shut up any of the dissenters?

Like i said, every nation, culture and religion have their own ways of doing things.

If prostitution becomes legal in the Western world, would that mean the rest should follow or they will be bombed if they don't?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Good for her.

As a deeply religious person, I can completely understand the importance and desire to follow our faith. When it becomes a problem is when others tell you how to do so and make it their business to enforce it. Additionally, by engaging in humiliating, intrusive, or violent tactics in order to get you to do so.

I strongly believe that religion is a personal issue. To have 'morality police' actually following people around is out of line.

Hopefully the public support will be strong enough to spare her from any negative repercussions.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   

I knew a deflection was coming, don't worry *snip*. The women of your culture are going to be fed up with your sexism soon enough.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by pondrthis

That she has a lot of support is good to see, and I think she may have acted to help her boyfriend, who was taking a beating. However, I agree with you, that its like throwing a pearl before the swine. But people don't think in moments like this either. I would feel a lot better if there were multiple underground routes out of every country so people could be rescued, like we supported each other a lot more and had more connective channels grass roots, with and grass roots unity.

To me this is like throwing a pearl before the swines, and I'm very worried for her.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   

The women of your culture are going to be fed up with your sexism soon enough.

I hope the West comes in and saves them all.

The muslim women who are already living in the West are also enjoying the freedom as we see everyday.And people say Muslims don't intergrate?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
To use a classic 1990s feminist saying:

YOU GO GIRL!!!!

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Kudos to her! I'm so happy to hear that women in the east are finally standing up for their human rights!
And RELIGION POLICE!? Really? WTF? That's insane! You cannot (should not) force religion...i understand enforcing the law of the land... but religion is a personal choice the soul makes.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join