It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Other Foreclosure Menace

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Target Earth
[more

Target Earth, you might want to set your bulls eye on something greater than the "Obama Kool_Aid Drinkers". Had McCain won, we'd still be right where we are.

You have to see by now that our President is a merely a spokesman for the agenda. The agenda that began long before good ole Barry popped out of his mother, onto whatever patch of land you choose to believe her feet were on.

It's amazing to me that so many of us are still caught up in the he said she said games politics provide.

What did Barry's bailout have to do with Greece or what's pending for Portugal, Spain, Italy and maybe even California? I do believe the manipulation of our currency over the long haul has impacted these economies but again, Obama had nothing to do with any of that either.

Are you starting to get the whole global conspiracy thing yet? Or would you still like to hate on those of us who were duped into believing the last thing the country could take was another old white guy's mindset.

We made the best decision we could given the choices we had. Remember, Ron and Dennis ran too, but our media chose to ignore them knowing America would too. Know why? Because the agenda called for 2 guys who's births were suspect and would sing whatever tune they were told!

As for the OPP line, it would have been better served here by saying he was into "Other People's Property".

Thanks for putting that tune back in my head though, now I can picture him singing it too. Just like I can hear Kissinger and Brzezinski chucking about how they've been at the right hand of the President since Nixon without folks like you even noticing.

They are two of the real manipulators, not the quacks that come and go every 4 or 8 years. It's these leeches that have made policy in this country for as long as I'm here.

I hope you're growing food or thinking about self sustainability while chiming in out here. The more self sufficient we are the less their changes impact us anyway.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
So if you don't pay your cable bill, will they repossess your car?

Seriously,

That is an infuriating story in the OP, and alone exposes the corrupt financial system we have in this country better than anything I've seen yet.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by nite owl

it IS the policemans fault. they are the ones enforcing crooked, unethical slimeballs orders. just as the ss soldiers were wrong for fighting for hitler.. ALL COPS ARE COWARDS, either by being corrupt, or by allowing others to be corrupt. end of discussion

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Something even more bogus about the story (from the OP source)?

The home had been her family’s for nearly three decades, and her father had paid off the mortgage in 1984.

You can now have your home foreclosed on even if you own it 100%? WTF? I don't get it? I never knew this to be a reality for some people.
I'm beside myself right now.

Edit to add: This makes me worry for my sister. While living in her last rental, a water leak developed resulting in a $500 bill. The landlord had a company fix it and the water company wanted a letter from my sister along with the bill for the fix. They wound up only taking $100 off!!! You could clearly see from the water usage history and beyond that my sister NEVER went over $100 for water even in the summer (she had a big yard). So now the water company is harrassing her for more than $300 that she doesn't even owe (if anything it's the landlord's responsibility) and has proved she doesn't owe. Thankfully she doesn't own a home but can they take, say, her car?

[edit on 18-5-2010 by nunya13]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
this makes no sense whatsover! how does a home equate to $300 owed? they could have taken a few windows to cover that $300 water bill lol!!!

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

You never really own anything, even when it is paid off.

If you don't pay your property taxes for example, can have your home forclosed.

Where my parents lived in AZ, their house was paid for, but if they missed any homeowners association fees, again, the home could be foreclosed on.

It sounds unreal, I will agree, but it happens for alot of different reasons, even if you have no mortgage.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by xizd1
If the government had taken one trillion dollars and divided it between 340 million citizens we would have gotten about $3000 (2941) each. Now that would stimulate the economy!
Why was this not even discussed?

I can drop 3k in a minute flat. Bring it.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Absolutely disgusting. It makes me physically sick to think this woman lost her home because of such a petty amount of money. Like the city itself will not have to pay 10 times that amount when she needs services now that she is homeless.

Something is really, really wrong here everyone. What is it going to take before Americans see that letting profit be our God is NOT what we should be doing?

[edit on 18-5-2010 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Yes, the entire system is horribly corrupt, this however has nothing to do with "Obama Koolaid" water is handled locally not nationally. For instance, in my area if I do not pay my water or electric bill the state can suspend my driver's license.

It is a travesty that a home that has been paid off for over 20 years can be foreclosed upon, especially for a lousy $300. It is unbelievable to me. I also do understand why (it may only be my area I don't know) but property taxes are figured based on livable space as opposed to the amount of actual property. I suppose it is that based on the assumption that people with bigger homes can afford a bigger tax payment. But we all know that is not the way that it works. Those that can afford it, can also afford an accountant to limit what is paid versus what is owed. Or those who can't afford the homes are being foreclosed on.

I actually knew someone that had purchased a home (I believe from an auction) and while she was moving in she was served with court papers because some company had purchased the tax lien against the previous owners, yet the person that served her new her name and that she had purchased the home.

It was basic extortion, they threatened to have her arrested for trespassing, even though she paid cash in the entirety of the sale price of the home.

It was NEVER disclosed that random company A actually held the deed to the home, of course until they tried to kick her out.

She got herself an attorney at that point who told her that companies go around that purchase tax liens (which are a matter of public record) often for a few hundred dollars, sometimes less!!!!!!! Then yes, they wait for the home to sell and try to extort the new owner. Fortunately, he got the whole mess sorted out for her, but it was certainly a lesson in always using an attorney when purchasing a home.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Good gawd, what the eff is the point in buying a home if someone can just come and take it from you for much, much less than it is even worth. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
First off this isn't a federal, this is a local issue. And quite a sad one at that.
I had these thoughts before reaching the end of the article, but the last line tells all:

They hope that new owners will help rehab decaying parts of town. The article doesn't say where in west Baltimore she is in. But most parts of Baltimore leave something to be desired. There are parts of w. baltimore that are just downright wretched. There are ghettos that are like Congo.

I feel for the lady, I really do. But you have to wonder why if her mortgage is paid off, and she doesn't have a car, why can't she pay a water bill?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
While foreclosure laws are rather archaic, we are still protected by them. There has to be a public sale. After the public sale any monies left over go to the mortgagor(homeowner). Unfortunately, the sales are cash only, and, most times, when a mortgage is involved, the sale price does not exceed the mortgage; and, then the lender has a right to a deficiency judgement, which is the difference in what the lender got minus legal fees and what the homeowner owed.

To the guy asking about the cable bill. Yes, if a contractor does work on your house and you do not pay, they can file a mechanics lien and force a sale on your home. They get paid what us owed and the rest goes to the mortgagee and if anything is left over, that goes to the homeowner.

To the conspiracists. During the massive deflation of the Great Depression, the banks ended up owning everything. Home prices are deflating now to less than what the artificial boom prices of ez money drove them up to. There is a fear among many that the economy will spiral into hyperinflation. Inflation robs people with cash assets; whereas, tangible goods like real estate skyrocket in price. If all the banks end up owning most of the real estate now; and, massive inflation hits, then they will come out with more equity than the original loans were.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Maybe because she is uneducated or poorly educated and makes minimum wage?

Which in her state at that time would mean she was making $262 a week.

If you have to pay high heating bills, and you have children to feed, you still pay property tax and maybe home insurance even without a mortgage, phone, etc., that money goes quick. Judging from the inside of her home in the photos, it isnt because she is living large.

It kind of sounds to me like you would like to justify someone having their HOME taken from them for a bill that was less than $400. I hope someday you get to test that theory out and see if you really think thats a good idea, or if you only feel that way when it happens to someone you look down on.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ogbert
If all the banks end up owning most of the real estate now; and, massive inflation hits, then they will come out with more equity than the original loans were.

Agreed. Which is why gold is the wrong place to run with your money. That ship has sailed. If you wanted to protect yourself from the loss of value land is where you want to go. IMHO. You are close enough to a bottom there that it is highly unlikely you will lose as long as you buy land that is worth something in real terms. (ie; not a scrap of desert somewhere that will soon not have the water to support a city)

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ogbert
While foreclosure laws are rather archaic, we are still protected by them. There has to be a public sale. After the public sale any monies left over go to the mortgagor(homeowner). Unfortunately, the sales are cash only, and, most times, when a mortgage is involved, the sale price does not exceed the mortgage; and, then the lender has a right to a deficiency judgement, which is the difference in what the lender got minus legal fees and what the homeowner owed.

To the guy asking about the cable bill. Yes, if a contractor does work on your house and you do not pay, they can file a mechanics lien and force a sale on your home. They get paid what us owed and the rest goes to the mortgagee and if anything is left over, that goes to the homeowner.

To the conspiracists. During the massive deflation of the Great Depression, the banks ended up owning everything. Home prices are deflating now to less than what the artificial boom prices of ez money drove them up to. There is a fear among many that the economy will spiral into hyperinflation. Inflation robs people with cash assets; whereas, tangible goods like real estate skyrocket in price. If all the banks end up owning most of the real estate now; and, massive inflation hits, then they will come out with more equity than the original loans were.

ogBERT.
THANKS for your post. It is informative. I appreciate that.....I try to keep up with these things but it is complicated. I would pay for a class on it.......but you just dont' see those offered every day, now do ya...........!
thanks for those of us who want to learn...................

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Give people loans then take away and destroy the jobs they need to pay them back.

Take their homes and the rest of their money and say "have a nice day"

The perfect Scam!

It can be a good deal for everyone but the property owner.

The property owners are the banks.

Cities and counties in Maryland earlier this year fended off an effort to keep water bills out of the tax sale, arguing that without the threat of losing homes many people would fail to pay their bills.

So now we use threats and coercion to enforce contract obligations. Isn't that what the mafia does?

Looks like the politicians are trying to pay their monthly dues to the cartel and using any means by which to do so.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by Visitor2012]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
It's never just about a single bill. They could have simply taken out a loan or used a credit card to pay it off, if they had any credit left. Chances are this is another family who went into debt buying things left and right, living the American dream, then woke up one day to the American nightmare.

Sadly, an all to common story.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Risen

Im sorry, did you actually read the article? Look at the photos?

Do you know anyone poor?

I do. I know quite a few people who have never had a credit card, and who couldnt get a loan if they were dying. I know people who cant even get a checking account. And I promise you it isnt because they were just buying stuff all crazy. Usually it is because they got a card once, lost a job and ended up charging groceries they couldnt really afford, and then defaulted.

I am glad so many of us are well enough off that this is foreign to us, and we cant even imagine not being able to come up with 3-400 bucks, but I really wish people would not just assume that this woman is poor because she is just an irresponsible person. Once you are in poverty, its like quicksand, its hard to get out of.

I just love how everyone has her tried and convicted of living all crazy on credit when she didnt lose her home because of unpaid loans and bills. She lost her home because she got behind on a NECESSITY. She doesnt even own a car.

Sheesh.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Uh, credit cards aren't some special thing only the elite can have. They want everyone to have them, so they'll run off and buy a bunch of stuff then end up at the mercy of the banks for many years. Being poor is actually a bonus, they make more money from those who can't pay for what they use the card for than those who can.

Even before most people have a job they're sent credit card offers in the mail. There's even a long and hilarious history of them sending dogs and infants credit card offers in the mail.

All it would have taken was for this woman to buy something like a couch or TV on a credit card, then not pay the bills on it, to screw her credit over and have her chased by collection agencies the rest of her life. It's an evil system, and the way our culture treats debt like its no big deal is dangerous.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by Risen]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Risen

Uhh, I know its not something only the elite can have.

Its just also something that the very poorest poor cant have. Literally. People who cant even get a checking account, and you think they have credit cards?

Why do you think all those check cashing businesses and title loan companies are proliferating? Because of all the easy credit to the poor? Cmon. Really.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join