It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Other Foreclosure Menace

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   

The Other Foreclosure Menace

huffpostfund.org

One raw day in early February, Vicki Valentine stood by helplessly as real estate investors snatched her West Baltimore home over what began with an unpaid city water bill of $362.
As snow threatened to fall, she watched a work crew hired by the new owners punch out the lock on her front door. A sheriff’s deputy was on the scene while Valentine and her teenage son piled whatever they could into a borrowed car.
Running out of time, Valentine scrambled to pack up clothing and mementos.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.baltimoresun.com

+2 more 
posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
While our Congress and Administrations shell out trillions to assist banks and corporations, citizens' struggling to make ends meet are being tossed out on the street for tax liens, in this case, a little over $300.00 in unpaid water bill.

Seems in Maryland, they are allowed to use unpaid utilities as reason for selling a tax lien, which are usually bought up by investors, who add more burden to the outstanding bill and sometimes as in this woman's case, the loss of the house.

At the same time, check out the bid rigging going on in the piece and the unknown settlement agreement between one of the firms who admitted being involved in the fix.

It's sickening to see this happening to this country, lose your home for an unpaid water bill on one hand, saving banks and corporations in the other..

Does this seem fair?

huffpostfund.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Here's a companion piece on the investor's bid rigging deal..

Investors Made Millions from People Facing Eviction

A six-year conspiracy by veteran real estate investors to rig bids and stifle competition at tax sale auctions made two chief organizers at least $10 million, largely from fees homeowners paid to keep from losing their properties, according to federal prosecutors.
Though many details remain under seal in U.S. District Court in Baltimore, prosecutors allege that from 2002 through 2007 the pair acted to corrupt nearly two dozen municipal tax sales in Baltimore and five other Maryland jurisdictions, including Montgomery and Prince George’s counties in the Washington, D.C. suburbs.
Every year, local governments in Maryland sell investors the right to collect unpaid taxes and municipal fees, often for a few hundred dollars or less. Lien holders can sue to take the property of those who fail to pay them.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
This is most terrible. I heard last evening on Fox that Fanny and Freddy now owns 95% of the mortgages in America. Looks like a giant land seizure to me, how about the rest of you? What are the banks planning to do with all of that property, some of prime real estate? Are they holding it for aliens to live in, either from across the border, or across the Galaxy?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
This is very terrible indeed.
This is one of those cases where I would ask that everyone who reads this and lives in or is a citizen of the U.S. to send a link of this story to your representative and the executive office.
There is no reason they should bail out billionaires and then take homes of people who oue three hundred in un paid utilities.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

This is shocking, that somebody can lose a family home due to an unpaid water bill. In Louisiana, these kinds of foreclosures happen by way of a sheriff's sale, for unpaid taxes, but, it takes years, giving the original owner quite a while to pay back what is owed, and if they do, the purchaser is out any money spent at an auction.

One thing that struck me though, this woman surely does not look like she is starving to death. Perhaps if she cut back on her grocery bill a few dollars a week, she would have been able to cover the cost of the water bill. Uncomfortable as it might have been, she could have paid the water bill off by cutting her food bill $50.00 dollars here and there.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
We will have our turn when we seize the property of the banksters and politicians that have been taking bribes.

The pending meltdown will work out quite nice if we tell them to keep our money, our debt and goodbye taxes and the police state.

Power must come back to the people so don't take 50c on the $ when they try to trick us into excepting the amro.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
Does this seem fair?

No. Absolutely not.

This should be the reason all Americans try and get rid of those in power now!

Also, this should be one of the main reasons that people will realize that banks run this country.
Not citizens.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Hope and Change... and yet the Obama Kool-Aid drinkers are not waking up.
This is the future of America. There is very little between us and the streets.
They have to devote entire court rooms, just for the foreclosure cases. I see more and more homeless everyday. Nothing is getting better... and now for unpaid utilities, we run the risk of getting booted out. I would think, that Water, would be a entitlement too, along with Healthcare, and other people's Money. I kinda think Obama took Naughty by Natures Hit song OPP, a little literally. He has seemed to build his entire political view around Other Peoples Money.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
If the government had taken one trillion dollars and divided it between 340 million citizens we would have gotten about $3000 (2941) each. Now that would stimulate the economy!
Why was this not even discussed?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by xizd1

Better yet, take 1 trillion and divide it up amongst the 160 million taxpayers! The way I see it, if you don't contribute to the pot, you shouldn't get anything!

This wasn't discussed as it wasn't an option as we the taxpayers aren't lining the pockets of our politicians who vote on these things.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by Mudman21]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Just a quick opinion regarding citizens being treated like a toilet...those elements perpetrating these injustices will continue to abuse the little guy for exactly as long and to exactly the degree to which they get can away with it. im certainly no advocate of violence but what would happen if suddenly crooked bankers and other no-goodnicks were found mysteriously shuffled loose the mortal coil in suspected connection with this type quasi-legal behavior. you know how many times you'd see stories like this one? its a number scientists like to call "fewer".

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Just a quick opinion regarding citizens being treated like a toilet...those elements perpetrating these injustices will continue to abuse the little guy for exactly as long and to exactly the degree to which they get can away with it. im certainly no advocate of violence but what would happen if suddenly crooked bankers and other no-goodnicks were found mysteriously shuffled loose the mortal coil in suspected connection with this type quasi-legal behavior. you know how many times you'd see stories like this one? its a number scientists like to call "fewer".

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
There must be a lot of angry citizens with nothing to lose in the states.To be thrown out of the family home must be devastating and i really feel for these people.What now?Move into the car and start again.I Know there are people around the world who are living in terrible poverty but they are surrounded by equally as desperate people, whereas in western society the strugglers are surrounded by wealth ,I think that makes it seem worse. This link below shows how you can still smile when all you have is family.
www.sbs.com.au...

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
This is sickening. It makes me both embarrassed and angry. Not only am I angry at those responsible but also at the American people, myself included, for allowing these kinds of things to happen. Where is that American spirit that threw the English Crown, along with the London bankers out on their butts?

--airspoon

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
OH IM SORRY, THE DEATH STAR WILL BE FULLY OPERATIONAL, YOUNG JEDI. Who are the SIXTEEN in control here? The top of the top. Throwing her out of her home for a water bill. Whats next? They think of anything to take your home and resale it again and again. It is not the policemans fault to take her out, who ordered it, or who put in place such a thing. The SIXTEEN, WHO ARE THEY? BUNCH OF CROOKS.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Seems like our government is trying to make more and more enemies of the state! Just like our war on terror in the middle east, every time we bomb a family and kill an innocent mother or father, the surviving family then becomes the next martyr!

Every time our government passes these ridiculous, corporate, fascist laws, and more people become law abiding criminals, then more eyes are opening and more people are starting to see exactly what our government is doing!

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I echo the posters above,.. this a travesty. Any law that allows this should be struck down. What's next, credit card companies taking homes for unpaid Visa bills? *facepalm*

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

No, this is the biggest scam in history and the biggest conspiracy. The Sheriff should have stopped everything and told those realtor locksmiths that if they touched her home they would be thrown in jail. He is elected by the people to protect the people. She didn't know that her signature gave the bank the AUTHORITY to create the funds FOR HER to purchase the home. The funds were hers all along!!! And the mortgage company STOLE the "money" and then told her she had to pay the mortgage. Look up the definition of "closing", ALL deals are done, complete, the home IS YOURS!!! You owe nothing as there is nothing to pay with. FRN's are not real money, they are debt instruments and YOUR signature gives the FED the authority to print it, it is ALL yours. The government OWES US, FDR took all the gold from the publics hands and gave us IOU's which are the paper you use today, THEY ARE IOU's, not money, the government OWES US that amount in gold or silver. How can you take out a loan, what are they loaning you? Someone please explain that to me?

Why can't people understand this, WE have dominion!! ALL the natural resources on the planet BELONG to the flesh and blood living souls, HUMANS, corporations CAN NOT own land nor can they own anything else, WHO created the corporation? Who gave it the ability to exist, THE PEOPLE!! Same with taxation, the government CAN NOT tax a living soul, THAT is why you were made into a corporate entity with the BIRTH CERTIFICATE.

Strawman, look it up. I am getting to the end of the line here with trying to explain it to people who are COMPLETELY ignorant. Deny ignorance on ATS, UNHEARD OF.

If you currently live in a house and have "closed" on it, it is yours. There is no mortgage, IT is ALL A SCAM!! THIS and THIS alone is how the rich got that way and how they have kept it that way, you do not know the system, you do not pay attention to HOW things work, you do not KNOW the real law, the COMMON LAW and so on.

There are many threads here that explain this in detail, how many have read them? How many understand them? And then there are those that post completely ignorant comments because they do not get how it works and how it really should be. People are losing everything and they need not lose anything. DEMAND the Sheriff do his duty and that he NOT violate his oath of office.

I am sick to my stomach when I see some of the posts here, it doesn't have to be this way. LEARN.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by daddio

So Daddio, did you close on your house and then refuse to pay a single payment? If so, how long did that last? Let me guess, you live within your means and bought a house with cash and drive a 30 year old Gremlin that gets 75 miles per gallon!

Look, don't get me wrong, I hear everything you say, but whether you are right or wrong, it's just not gonna work the way you say it is. If it where as simple as you imply it is, I think more would certainly take advantage!

On Topic: One thing that really bothers me is how the police bow down to the banks like they do. I mean, it feels like to me that the police work for the banks? Wait a minute, could i be on to something?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join