It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf Oil Spill Smaller Than Spill of Related Threads on ATS!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
The oil spill topic is going viral on ATS, and I, for one, will have none of it!

Do we really need 10 threads an hour on this? Can we condense the gulf oil related threads into a mega-thread, or it's own sub forum (for the time being)?

Oh, in case you don't know what I'm talking about:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Oh, and that's just from the last 2 hours...

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I agree with you. I just wanted to let everyone concerned about the BP spill know about a webcast about it so I ran a search on BP oil spill and WOW! The search brought up about 30 threads. I only posted the info on the larger ones. Any way of bringing them all together would be good.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

I somewhat agree with what you say.
But the "flood" of threads can partly be explained with that there is almost as many "anti threads" popping up (those are an even bigger waste of bandwidth). You just made one too, btw.

The oil spill is however a major problem, both regarding the enviromental impact and "Big Oil's" reoccurring neglect of safety and care for both human life and nature.

But over all, ATS is allowing waaay too many duplicate threads. This I can agree with wholeheartedly.
Not many serious forums on the net have these high tolerance levels.
Even if a mod comes in and redirects to an already exsisting discussion the thread will be locked.
That would be an even worse waste of space...

That's my idea of the situation anywho...

[edit on 18-5-2010 by Raud]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

Either consolidate them all, or create a specific forum for those threads instead of having them spread all around in the Fragile Earth, General Conspiracy, Current Events, Political Madness ..etc forums.

having them all in one place should help avoid many of the duplicate threads. Instead of having to do a general search or search of multiple categories.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by webpirate]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I would suggest a new subforum.

'"Drilling and Spilling" conspiracies in the oil industry."

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
One thing is for sure;

It does not belong in "US Political Madness"!

We have "Peak Oil", "Other Current Events" and "Fragile Earth".
All of those fit just fine for this topic.

Did someone vote for the spill or what?

Mods must be on early vacation, methinks.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Having a million threads on one topic is part of the problem with flags being used to get you status on ATS. You dont get flags for contributing to existing threads on popular topics. If you want the nifty status symbols on ATS you have to create NEW threads on popular topics. Bunches of them.

Its one of the unintended consequences of the status system here.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Oooh, there are plenty of members with almost full "Flag Contribution" level that are complete morons in my oppinion!
Quite a few actually....and some of them have been members for like 6 months or something.
But it's all irrelevant, no matter how curious...

It's the "Applause" that matters. You only get that for a real good job.

But I get what you mean.

Still, flies are attracted to sh...ehm, crap.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raud
One thing is for sure;

It does not belong in "US Political Madness"!

We have "Peak Oil", "Other Current Events" and "Fragile Earth".
All of those fit just fine for this topic.

Did someone vote for the spill or what?

Mods must be on early vacation, methinks.

I think part of the problem is that there really are a lot of facets of the story that are worth looking at. I agree with others that there are too many threads at present, but certain aspects do belong in all those forums, even US Political Madness, in my opinion.

I just did a quick rundown of the US Political Madness thread titles and found only 2 BP-spill-related threads. One is about BP paying money to affected states to promote tourism, and in my opinion does fit the forum subject. The other was about the imminent demise of the Earth's oceans, and I alerted it and suggested it get moved to Fragile Earth since I didn't see a direct political connection. We'll see if the mods agree.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

I often wonder what really prompts people to post threads like this. Whether it’s a propensity towards intolerance, a misguided pseudo intellectualism, a deep seeded need for attention, a genuine dislike of people sharing information, an agenda that is not served through people sharing information, or a profound laziness and disorganization of their own minds when it comes to sifting through mountains of information looking for something of relevance, or if it’s just their way of saying I am having a bad hair day.

In essence though it’s nothing but an appeal to basically submerge and obscure any truly explosive information that comes out, in an ongoing crisis and investigation, by insisting it be lumped in with less relevant information, in some place where its true relevance would then garner less attention.

One thing is for sure, and that ATS can be a rather challenging environment, and it’s clear some people don’t always respond to those challenges very well.

Put the information out there as it flows in, and let the members decide what value it has. One person’s inability to see a connection or a correlation does not negate the fact that there in fact may be one.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I have wondered if maybe there shouldn't be a "Hot Topic" forum to contain multiple threads of the same current issue in order to condense some things. And maybe discourage multiple duplicate threads by self-policing.

If a topic looks like it will be an ongoing issue then maybe it will merit its own forum, like Survival did.

I mean, while Katrina was a very big issue and has many facets to it. I am not sure that it needs to be its own forum anymore. And, honestly, I think the same could almost be said for 9/11. The exception being that, new threads are still made in 9/11 every day where as Katrina can go for days without so much as a reply to a thread.

And yes, I realize that the actual name of the Katrina forum is Disaster Conspiracies Discussion Forum but not every member does. But while there are many threads on JFK, there is no dedicated forum, nor does there really need to be.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by Ahabstar]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
well it would be a nice programming job but with an ignore function on threads your problem would be solved.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Dumbass

Here is a simplified way. Dont click on them.
Problem solved.

new topics

top topics

join