It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism – The complete disregard of scientific fact

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiracy Chicks fan !

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer
Because morality is not derived from a belief in god, therefore such a thought process is not logical.

For the gazillionth time, atheism is not nihilism. You really should try to absorb this fact.

Do you know that for a fact ? How do you know which evolved first, belief in God or morality ? How do you know they are not intertwined ?

Nihilism is the default position for an atheist; any other philosophy is contradictory to logic.

Morality is mutually exclusive from belief in God.

Morality is a survival trait. If you stole, lied, cheated, or murdered in the past, before religion, and you got caught, there were real world repercussions such as being beaten, ostracised, or even being killed because of that. It's just an ethical motivation. The motivation before a Christian God was the consequences of being caught and not some promise of either heaven or hell when death comes calling.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Being that there are no such atheists as the ones you describe I imagine you're falling on deaf ears. The problem here is your faulty misconceptions about atheism and morality. It really would be ideal to discover where you're going wrong in your argument so that we can stop wasting bandwidth trying to explain it to you.

What, no logical atheists ?!

I'm not going wrong anywhere in this debate, so there's nothing for me to discover.
The only replies I've had are from atheists attempting to explain their own personal ethos, which is faith and emotionally driven, rather than logically.

I don't understand what you're trying to prove though, atheists have a morality that they "feel" is right, yes, I guess you could consider that faith, but so what? Morals aren't driven by logic, but by social norms and taboos.
Just curious, would you kill someone if God said it was morally correct?

[edit on 26-5-2010 by hippomchippo]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo

Just curious, would you kill someone if God said it was morally correct?

[edit on 26-5-2010 by hippomchippo]

Hey, it worked out for Abraham!

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I agree with what others are saying...morality is tied deeply to our consciousness...it is psychological. It depends on the environment you were raised in, depends on your society and their beliefs, depends on what you have experienced and seen others experience, depends on what kind of emotional reaction you have had from your experiences and through others experiences (which takes empathy).

Over time...humans morals change and the culture they live in will affect this change. Some cultures are behind others, still living very much in survival mode. Many many things come into play to building morals in a person.

Even before the Bible...there were cultures that were trying to build moral laws. Many of them were similar to eachother's. Such as do not kill, do not sleep with another mans wife...ect.

We are made in such a way to figure this stuff out...and our environments have a huge part in this figuring.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

How is that not logically sound ? What laws of science would a 14-mile high human fall foul of ?

Gravity, for one.

If you wish to believe in it, so be it. Few will share your "logic".

Lack of Oxygen might be another

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by idmonster

How is that not logically sound ? What laws of science would a 14-mile high human fall foul of ?

Gravity, for one.

If you wish to believe in it, so be it. Few will share your "logic".

Lack of Oxygen might be another
Not to mention, what would this person eat? This guy is 14 miles high.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
One of the common causes of atheism is people who have been either neglected or abused by their father. Lack of love in childhood breeds repressed rage against the father-figure. Temper tantrums are then projected on to innocent religious folk. It is no coincidence that atheists are often politically left-wing, demanding pity and a big-government as the daddy or caretaker not provided in childhood.

In the more dim-witted atheism manifests as the bizzare delusion that makes absolute statements about nature of the Universe and the origins of its vastness ("There is no God"). In others atheism takes on the form of Depression ("Everything is Meaningless") and psychopathological behaviour ("I am not accountable for what I do - my genes are, evolution is").

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by lucid eyes
One of the common causes of atheism is people who have been either neglected or abused by their father. Lack of love in childhood breeds repressed rage against the father-figure. Temper tantrums are then projected on to innocent religious folk. It is no coincidence that atheists are often politically left-wing, demanding pity and a big-government as the daddy or caretaker not provided in childhood.

In the more dim-witted atheism manifests as the bizzare delusion that makes absolute statements about nature of the Universe and the origins of its vastness ("There is no God"). In others atheism takes on the form of Depression ("Everything is Meaningless") and psychopathological behaviour ("I am not accountable for what I do - my genes are, evolution is").

This is hands down the worst Freudian analysis of atheists I believe I have ever seen. So we are to believe that atheists are abused, leftist, depressed nihilists? Based on what again? Your bad trolling attempt?

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

I agree with you completely. That was probably one of the most uninformed and ridiculous generalisations I've ever seen.
At least it didn't claim that all atheists were agents of Satan...

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Alright then, so it's settled. You are a troll. Glad we could sort that out.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Your responses are rather predictable. I didnt expect to be cheered on.

The atheists naive belief in what he thinks "science" is, is an undistinguished and shallow belief in surface appearances. Anything unfamiliar or different is immediately branded as a "fairy tale" and snickered away in embarrassed coughs.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by lucid eyes

Could you please advise the source of your conclusion? Is this proven data, or just something you made up/believe?

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   

The atheists naive belief in what he thinks "science" is, is an undistinguished and shallow belief in surface appearances. Anything unfamiliar or different is immediately branded as a "fairy tale" and snickered away in embarrassed coughs.

Indeed the predictable outrage in the responses is hardly surprising considering the baseless accusations in your post. Although if you're willing to make up an unsupported idea of deities to explain the explainable, no doubt you're willing to make up unsupported ideas that denigrate your perceived enemies. Too bad that people who consider themselves so enlightened engage in the shallow, petty human acts of bigotry.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

I make a habit of honoring the dumbest post on ATS every day.

Congratulations, your post is a winner today for not only being ignorant, but also dumb beyond measure. You are generalizing a whole people, making statements without the slightest backup (show some backup for your statements, and I don't mean from a dumb religious blog) or proof...and then try to bring in politics which have nothing to do with this religion vs atheism discussion.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   

You're kidding right?
You could just as easily say the exact same thing of religious people, compensating their father for god.
And I love how you can try to comment on things that have no bearing on atheists, what does politics have to do with atheism? NOTHING.
You can claim atheists are more left wing, but thats just speculation on your part, i've never even heard of a atheist saying everything is meaningless, but whatever.
Continue to prop these strawmen and generalizations up just so you can pretend to break them down, but please, eventually grow out it so you don't become a fundamentalist and do something crazy.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by hippomchippo]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Hmmm...
Oh those darn atheists, they should just accept outlandish stories, shouldnt they?
I love how you claim science is a shallow belief in surfact appearances, which essentially means nothing, are you saying that all science shouldn't be followed?

[edit on 27-5-2010 by hippomchippo]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   

[edit on 27-5-2010 by _SilentAssassin_]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I am not sure that everybody is getting the right impression of atheism here. Atheism is not a belief it is simply an opinion, an answer to a queston.

For instance, there is not a name for people who don't believe that Elvis is still alive....they just don't believe it.

I am so sick and tired of these threads. I have never seen a group so discriminated and persecuted against as the atheists....sad really.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by _SilentAssassin_

No wonder they deleted that video

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Hey everyone, God here. Nice debate going on. Let me add in a few words.

For you theists, good for you. Science isn't going to work because not everything is quantifiable. I'd prove it to you but I'm sure you already believe me... just cuz.

For you atheists, good for you, too. Here's proof I exist. Not good enough? How about a mathematical equation and a slide show? Or maybe I just need to perform some tricks that you can't comprehend? Like having billions of people believe in me without proof?

Obviously, this is a poke at all the people who aren't being open-minded on a thread about being open-minded. Without proof one way or the other, will any of us change our beliefs? Probably not but it still makes for interesting reading on why others think the way they do.

P.S. I'm agnostic. I doubt there is a God but if He does exist... he created the universe for His 3rd grade science project. And got a C-.

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24 >>

join