It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Waitress fired for griping about tip on Facebook

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
So you want to post personal information on Facebook? Well then it becomes public information and anybody can read it (including your boss, or those idiots who stiffed you with a bad tip).

www.rr.com...

www.charlotteobserver.com...

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
You know is been already a "fact" that information your post in the net can be used against you.

People specially young people are so naive that they are spilling their opinions in Facebook along with some very stupid adults.

I recently served as a character witness for a young mother about to lose her daughters custody and pictures from facebook were used in the case against the father.

Now who is stupid enough to post personal pictures of incriminating nature in the net for everybody to know who your are.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by marg6043]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I swear workers in the U.S. literally have no rights. This customer is always right malarky is bollox.

If she gave the couple good service she deserved more than a 5$ tip and has a right to complain about it. Everyone knows the crap wages waiters/waitresses get and how hard they work for it, all round the World.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by Peruvianmonk]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
I swear workers in the U.S. literally have no rights. This customer is always right malarky is bollox.

If she gave the couple good service she deserved more than a 5$ tip and has a right to complain about it. Everyone knows the crap wages waiters/waitresses get and how hard they work for it.

I guess the irony of returning to the restaurant as a paying customer is a good form of revenge. After all, she will become his "boss" for a short period of time.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Edit: Sorry, double post.

[edit on 18/5/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
This is so freaking funny I have no words to descirbe it.

Hey, stupid facebook/twitter/blog person listen up "IF YOU ARE GOING TO POST STUFF FOR THE WORLD TO SEE DON'T BE SURPRISED/PISSED/SHOCKED WHEN THE WORLD SEES IT"

That ends todays lesson.

Dorian Soran

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

reply to post by Peruvianmonk

I completely agree with your primary sentiment about her deserving a bigger tip. Where we disagree is apparently with the belief that actions shouldn't come with consequences. She has rights. She can say whatever she wants. The restaurant has rights, too. They have a right to not employ someone who very publicly disparages them and/or their customers.

I think her anger about the tip is likely justified. I'd be really angry, too. Venting is one thing. Doing it publicly and naming the establishment is something else.

She made a stupid mistake. I hope she's learned something and moves forward, and it all ends up working out for her.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
No word regarding the level of service that was provided by this young girl. I wonder if this couple in question had 3 hours of empty beer glasses, smirks and dirty looks??

A poor attitude would probably give me incentive to take my sweet old time. When has there ever been a time limit on how long you can sit at a table on a date? Does one have to tip extra for every minute that you sit above and beyond your allotted time?

A $5 tip... how much was the bill? Furthermore, who obligated this girl to stay an extra hour after her shift? In most cases, the server will just pass you on to someone else.

Our tip crazy society. I am waiting to see a tip jar in the local Burger King any day now. Hell, Ive had better service in an Arby's or Chick Fil A than Ive had in many traditional restaurants. Even at the drive thru.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

No.

why should people tip in the first place.
you get paid for the work that you do.

If you get any tips at all, you should consider youself lucky and not be an ass.

Waiting is not a profession. anyone can do it, if you want more money then go to college or get an apprenticeship.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by MR BOB]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dorian Soran
This is so freaking funny I have no words to descirbe it.

Hey, stupid facebook/twitter/blog person listen up "IF YOU ARE GOING TO POST STUFF FOR THE WORLD TO SEE DON'T BE SURPRISED/PISSED/SHOCKED WHEN THE WORLD SEES IT"

That ends todays lesson.

Dorian Soran

This should be the last post on this thread as its the truth.
If you don't want to be mad when people find out about your life, don't publicly broadcast it.

Sheesh.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB

why should people tip in the first place.
you get paid for the work that you do.

If you were charged in the cost of the food, enough to pay the person a decent hourly wage, the cost of your meal would be outrageous. People would quit going to sit down restaurants.

If you get any tips at all, you should consider youself lucky and not be an ass.

It depends on the restaurant. If you are at a buffet, it is still considered proper to even tip a person who takes away your dirty plates.

Waiting is not a profession. anyone can do it, if you want more money then go to college or get an apprenticeship.

You have got to be kidding! Many people are waiters, while they are attending college, so they can buy their own food, books, etc....A lot of apprenticeships pay a person nothing.

Your attitude is quite demeaning, and you are the type of person who has extra things added to their plate on the way to the table!

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

See this is why i dont like/trust waiters.

if you taint peoples food you should be prosecuted. It's not my fault you are in the position you are in it is yours.

If you dont like the job, then quit. if you arent getting good tips, then it really says somthing about you as a person doesnt it.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

I agree! A tip should be a little appreciation for good service, not pay the waitress' salary.

She got it coming, but getting fired was a bit much..

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
**Sigh** When are we going to learn?
If you put something on the internet, people are going to see it. At the very least the search engines (google, yahoo, etc) are going to index the words and pics on a web page and make it available for a web search. Then there is FB that makes your page available anyway. There is no presumption of privacy for things you put on the net. I hope the waitress has learned not to post her thoughts in public.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   

See this is why i dont like/trust waiters.

You probably don't eat at restaurants very often, do you?

if you taint peoples food you should be prosecuted. It's not my fault you are in the position you are in it is yours.

I completely agree with a person who taints food, being proscecuted. It's wrong, but people who have your attitude are the ones who ususally have this happen. I'm not a wait person by the way, but have been in the past, while I was in college. Being a waiter or waitress while attending school, is quite honorable, in my opinion.

If you dont like the job, then quit. if you arent getting good tips, then it really says somthing about you as a person doesnt it.

Yes, like I said above, being a good waiter or waitress should determine the tip. One should not automatically expect an enourmous tip without putting in some effort beside carrying a plate.

All in all, this woman was wrong to complain about it in the manner she did. Causing bad publicity would have in no way increased her tips, and I probably would have fired her, too!

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

It's wrong, but people who have your attitude are the ones who ususally have this happen. I'm not a wait person by the way, but have been in the past, while I was in college. Being a waiter or waitress while attending school, is quite honorable, in my opinion.

People like me? what does that mean. and how can you judge someone within minutes of taking ther order. and then to ruin their food despicable.

You mean people who are honest and then hurt their feelings?
well tough. its a hard world, if you are offended by that then you are a weak person inside. and probably be waitressing for years to come. (not you personally)

This girl, is expecting the world to fall at her feet, when she doesnt deserve, it. these kind of people, who expect everything to be handed to them for little work. should not be waiting on other people.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

This girl, is expecting the world to fall at her feet, when she doesnt deserve, it. these kind of people, who expect everything to be handed to them for little work. should not be waiting on other people.

That's not how I read it. She had a bad day and rather than vent to her friends in person, made a mistake and went all too public. Back many, many years ago when I tended bar, we used to gather as a staff once a week or so and have what we called "Dawn Patrol". Mostly sat around and drank and talked and complained about any and everything until the sun came up. It was a good pressure valve. And of course, what happened on Dawn Patrol stayed in Dawn Patrol.

Good times.

The things I've said and done in relative privacy over the years, especially pre-30, well it makes me shudder to think there could still be some sort of a record of it somewhere.

The moral is, don't write down or post anything you wouldn't want seen by anyone, everywhere.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
If she had been smart she wouldve set her profile to private, so her boss couldnt see what she posted. If the boss was a friend, then she is a REAL moron

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I have never been to Facebook, but from what I heard 95% of the content there is pretty frivolous, like I want to see pictures of you pet poodle doing stupid tricks, or reading about you kid getting in the cheer leaders. However when you post information of a public forum (such as Facebook), there can be no expectation of privacy. The point is not whether or not if the woman deserved a better tip or not. The point is that she posted the information on a public forum with her name attached to that information. She posted it of her own free will and since it was a public forum, there was no expectation of privacy. The fact that the management of the restaurant saw the posting and fired her should not have come as being totally unexpected.

Here is an interesting point. What controls does Facebook places on the content of what gets posted. Is there a control of what information you can post about a second party. Consider this scenario, what if Ashley (the girl who got fired) complained in a private conversation to a friend, who then posted the incident on her (the friend's) Facebook. (I.e., let me tell what happened to my poor friend Ashley.) In this case Ashley has an expectation of privacy (she told about the incident in a private conversation).

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

This saves a lot of clicks in doing that and is free.

www3.untangle.com...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join