It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police attempt to ban England shirts during the world cup!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

Which will still happen regardless if they have England top's on or not.

So what is the purpose of banning the tops?

I agree it will only move the problem on to another place, but the point is that it's slight senstionalism to suggest that police are attempting to ban England shirts during the World Cup. That's not the full story.

As I undertstand it, they are recommending a dress code at these pubs, which is perfectly common in bars and pubs to not allow entry to someone in sportswear, trainers, baseball cap etc., due to the fact it is considered that people who dress that way are more likely to cause trouble - not because dressing like that will make you more likely to behave like a thug, but because those of an antisocial mindset are more likely to adopt that fashion.

Where this lacks common sense, of course, is suggesting a ban on football shirts during a World Cup, when many more people than usual will go out on the town wearing one.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by Conspiracy Chicks fan !]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Conspiracy Chicks fan !

But what is not common is for the police to suggest whether adress code is required and what it should be.

The Police are there to uphold and enforce the law, not make the law, unfortunately we have let them believe they can do both.

And let's face it, if someone wants to cause bother in a pub after or during an England game it won't matter whether he's wearing an England top or a £1 Primark special!

And I assure you, very few 'serious' football 'hooligans' would dream of wearing either.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Conspiracy Chicks fan !

And as for pre-judging that someone is more inclined to cause trouble just because they have an England top on is absolute bollocks.

If I go into a pub twice a week all year and don't cause any trouble but put an Englnd top on every time England play football am I about to be transformed into a raving lunatic who will smash my local up or start an unprovoked fight if England lose?

It's complete and utter bollocks!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
this sounds like a load of crap distributed by white nationalist groups to enrage people generally cause trouble....

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   

And as for pre-judging that someone is more inclined to cause trouble just because they have an England top on is absolute bollocks.

If I go into a pub twice a week all year and don't cause any trouble but put an Englnd top on every time England play football am I about to be transformed into a raving lunatic who will smash my local up or start an unprovoked fight if England lose?

It's complete and utter bollocks!

I'm not too keen on profiling either.
It can't be denied that most young people that are responsible for anti-social behaviour adopt sportswear as their fashion of choice.

I believe this is why establishments have dress codes; it's not saying that someone will turn into a thug by wearing a football shirt, but that people wearing a football shirt are more likely to be thugs. I don't neccesarily agree with that, but a football top is still sportswear.

Like I say, it's obviously ludicrous to suggest banning football tops in pubs during the World Cup, as that is pretty much akin to banning football shirts in pubs near football grounds on matchdays !

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   

The Police are there to uphold and enforce the law, not make the law, unfortunately we have let them believe they can do both.

As far as I can see, they are not making a law, but suggesting or recommending policies that they believe may help to reduce trouble at these pubs during the World Cup.

Whether their suggestions are sensible or enforcable is another matter altogether.

And let's face it, if someone wants to cause bother in a pub after or during an England game it won't matter whether he's wearing an England top or a £1 Primark special!

And I assure you, very few 'serious' football 'hooligans' would dream of wearing either.

Like I say, I don't think this is aimed at football hooligans, but rather rent-a-mob thugs who just see England matches as an excuse to get smashed and start fights.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Silicis n Volvo

I can't see this working out at all... ha! ha! How can you ban someone from wearing a football club shirt? It's exactly an all year round thing like the Burqa is it?

The World Cup comes round every 4 years for a month and i'd say whoever wants to wear their country shirt for that month should do so...

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
It will be made compulsory just before the tournament begins, for the real reason that it offends Islam.....

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
You guys should be proud to wear the English jersey.
In my opinion, England will win the World Cup (Spain's my other favorite).

I'll be rooting for both of those teams.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Maybe they just aren't able to express themselves clearly , maybe it was meant that fans are advised not to wear t-shirts of their teams ( arsenal , manchester , chelsea, etc..) and this way risking often scandals in public places

Or maybe they are just afraid that england fans could get in fights with supporters of other countries who live there in england, but i can't see any danger since they are in a group with the US , Algerie and Slovenia

Algerians have somewhat of a bad reputations in Europe and are considered dangerous , but i don't think they live in large numbers in England

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   

reply to post by jrmcleod

And what the hell will wearing England shirts have to do with it?

People will be in England, supporting England.

If anything does kick off it'll have nothing to do with wearing England shirts.

Oh...and as for getting knocked out by Germany....
you obviously haven't had a look at the draw.

England will get to the semi's where we'll play Brazil...anything can happen in a semi-final but even though they aren't as good as in the past it will still be a hard game.

Haha, ok i didnt say England will get knocked out BY Germany, i said a team like that, as in a team better than England.

So what your saying is that there will be no English Fans in South Africa wearing England strips??? The fact that they are wearing those colours illustrates that they are there to support England, right? Well i am not alone in saying that English fans are the worst supporting fans in the world for violence? Type it into google, bing, yahoo, youtube...whatever you like and you'll see the violence that they are capable of creating!

Wearing those colours doesnt automatically make you violent, however, there are a lot of English fans who are hell bent on creating violence at football games and it ruins it for the rest of them and the whole atmosphere in general.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Whenever England fans travel abroad, whether to support their national team or the club they support, they are targeted by other fans who want to have 'a go' at England.

English hooligans are perceived as the top mob and as such everyone wants a pop.

What most foreigners just don't grasp is that the vast majority of English fans just want to watch the football and have a good time, but of course are well prepared to defend themselves.

True English football hooligans do not wear colours and only want to fight with other hooligans.
Foreign football hooligans will fight with any fans.

I would say that if not all thenthe vast majority of English fans going to South Africa will solely be interested in the football and experiencing South Africa and the whole World Cup experience etc.

Domestically, unfortunately it will be the dings who think that expressing their patriotism limits itself to wearing an England top, 'supporting' England, getting drunk and creating a nuisance of themselves after the game.
And these people will do that regardless of whether they have an England top on or not.
They are idiots and not representative at all!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join