It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multi-Layered Personal Armor

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
  • The bottom of the layer of the armor set consists Long-sleeved Athletic shirt with Boxer short velcroed to the Sweat-absorbing socks
    The first layer of armor would need to be gel-like for heat absorbtion and comfortableness.

• Thermal Cooling Suit
    Hard to implement, needs lots of energy.

• Full-body Titanium Chain-mail Suit with Chain Mail cowl integrated to it
    Chainmail is only protective against cutting.

• Head-to-Toe Dragon Skin armor(each single ceramic tiles has protection level beyond Type IV small arms protective insert) in Kevlar laminated with Fireproof Polymer
    Dragon skin doesn't work.

• Suit of Armor made out of Fairly thick plate of High Quality Steel(kevlar laminated) and Kevlar-laminated Steel Helmet with Plexiglass visor
    Too heavy

This isn't Halo. A simple suit made from kevalar and shock absorbing foam is stronger, lighter and more flexible.

• posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:09 PM
    link   
    reply to post by masonicon

If it pans out, sure. Liquid/shear hardening fluid body armor isn't ready for market yet. Though I don't know if I'd go head-to-toe. Modern armor mostly protects the torso and head because you have the most likelihood of dying when shot there. We have as much armor on soldiers as can be reasonably carried without affecting how well they can do stuff too badly.

Taking armor away from the chest and head to armor the extremities is a tradeoff. It's a value choice between lives and limbs. The current setup saves the lives of most people who get shot, but many people lose unprotected limbs in war. The current military style armors can stop full rifle rounds over the area covered by the plates, so when the next best thing in armor comes around it may be worth it to start adding protection to the limbs.

If body armor keeps outpacing guns, we may start seeing more thermobaric weapons. Overpressure ignores flexible armors and cover.

reply to post by 420MD

Dragonscale "Works" under carefully controlled conditions. It could work in real life if a number of it's issues were worked out. It's still heavier than regular armor for the amount of protection it provides, and I know that I'll never buy anything from pinnacle armor. But armor composed of overlapping ceramic tiles could work, with some changes.

Otherwise, I agree with your post.

Also, I had no idea we could use bullet points. I see how now. Interesting.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 05:01 AM
    link   
    Even with Powered Exoskeleton that allows it's users wears armor that as powerful as armored vehicles or at least light vehicles and wields more powerful weapons like Miniguns, Chainsaws, or Smoothbore cannons, there's a weakness that they are simply can't overcome: they can become obvious targets for their enemies

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join