It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What meditation works for you and what does it feel like to you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I try to practice mindfulness all the time. From time to time Ill sit and listen to the Lam Rim meditations through Buddhism. As of late I have been trying Kundalini Meditation and have had even better results. It always leaves me tingly and with the feeling of a cool white light all over my body. Like a comfy feeling. Im addicted me thinks lol.

Thank you for your time.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Can you tell us what meditations specifically and provide a link possibly? I am currently trying different things to find what works best for me. Right now I am using some Iso chronic tones iso-tones.com... and solfaggio frequencies www.lightwithin.com...

Sometimes and feel pretty good and have begun dreaming again. I am using a lucid dreaming tone at night. Nothing big in the dreams yet but the fact that i hadn't really dreamed much in years and now have almost every night the last few weeks is a big improvement. I am calmer and more focused on positive things now but still get pulled back to negative all too easy.

During meditation sometimes feel a lot of love heart chakra opening sometimes not much other times more clarity after Still nothing earth shattering. I also found a really cool chakra clearing exercise just a few days ago that works really well for me and clears headaches that come sometimes after mediation etc. www.youtube.com...

[edit on 18-5-2010 by hawkiye]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
"Brain Sync - Awakening Kundalini" I just went to www.isohunt.com (I use www.utorrent.com as my torrent manager) and typed in Kundalini and sorted by seed then saw that one and a couple others. The Lam Rim cds just try to get my to picture stuff and I have a bad imagination when it comes to everything but sex and money... Too much tv maybe. However I have been meditating for a year now and I am starting to see why men and woman chose renunciation. I seem to be getting a lot more out of these meditations and teachings then money ever got me.

As for mindfulness I heard about that through "Thich Naht Hahn" I think its spelt and he just says be mindful all the time. Be 100% aware all of the time. That's his general attitude anyways.

Once again i am really digging this Kundalini stuff
. Its up to you if you want to buy the stuff or download it. I don't have thousands of dollars to throw around so I do it but I don't encourage it.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Kundalini meditation works great for me. It is by far my favorite "style" of meditation or whatever you choose to call it.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Oh yeah that and experimenting with breathing techniques throughout the web. I managed to dig this neat download from the net called "Tibetan Chakra Music" by Ben Scott and others; and its awesome too. I play this music and the kids and family are always cool and quiet. Once the music goes off everyones racing around doing stuff or spacing out lol.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   
WOOOOOT! (A shout of excitement as some positive intelligable topics arise)

I personally have a few different 'methods' I use for different meditative reasons.

In all of my meditations I begin the same, a relaxing breathing exercise that consists of a 3 second inhalation through the nose, and a 5 second exhalation through the mouth. I forget where I picked this up, I believe I may have heard it from a hypnosis tape, however it works wonders in relaxing me and my mind.

For a more common meditation, like my every day relaxation thing before bed, I'll put on a hypnosis induction tape, and allow myself to be induced into a half-conscious state. I wouldn't say that this has any really useful purpose than just a daily relaxation, stress relief, and getting yourself used to easily slipping into a medtitative state.

Another technique I practice is something an old Shaman friend taught me. He referred to it as the art of "Polarization". This technique is used by first putting yourself into a meditative state. Once you are calm you focus on things that irritate, anger, or frustrate you until you can start feeling a very supple amount of negativity. At this point you take a deep breath in through the nose, hold it for a moment, and exhale through the mouth and let yourself ease up and relax. Then you focus on things that are pleasant, and wonderful to yourself until you can feel a supple amount of positivity. Then do your breathing again and bring yourself back to zero, a calm, relaxed state. The whole point of this meditation is to have better control over spontainious mood changes (in my case bipolar disorder). After practicing this for so long, it becomes second nature to chill yourself out when frustrated. Very cool stuff.

However, if someone is just starting, or looking for something new to try, I have to advise Bert Salzman, he has a couple of videos on youtube The first one is Here.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by PositivelyDetermined

I don't think meditation is about the feelings or sensations associated with them. Personally i try to use meditations that make me feel unified, and more loving. I really enjoy metta meditation, or zen meditation. I will through on a solfeggio sound, star into the picture of a beautiful sunshiny day, and give my love to the world. Try and feel your spirit body within your physical body, this will harbor wonderful results.

My problem with sensations in my physical body unassociated with my spiritual body is that they are not of a positive source.

The material world is not the world of the spirit. When you fill your physical body with spiritual presence you may find wholeness, and an amazing smile you cannot get rid of.

Binaural Beat Frequency (that works)

[edit on 18-5-2010 by onequestion]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Just wanna say thankyou to all members who have contributed to this thread.

I'm fascinated by harmonics and frequencies and lucid dreaming.

Lot of good research to be found on this thread alone.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I've started doing the "microcosmic orbit" meditation described by Mantak Chia in his book "Awaken healing energy through the Tao".

Awesome stuff, i do it for 20-30 min in the morning and it sets me right for the day

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Having read a lot about meditation for many years and never taking the plunge fully, only dabbling, I recently made the decision to introduce it into my daily life.

However like a few here, I am trying a few techniques to see what I find the most benefits from.

Before sleep every night I am first relaxing by focusing on the breath, sometime I count, but I find that just completely immersing myself in the breath is more natural.

Then after I’m relaxed I practise 'energy work' or 'new energy ways' by Robert Bruce. More information on that here: www.astraldynamics.com...

Having had experiences with OOBE when I was younger and Chi as reported by eastern practises, I find energy work quite natural.

The system works great for me and I’ve been spending months just working on my 'secondary' energy circuit. I've yet to move onto my primary chakras, but with every session the energy that I work on is felt more strongly.

My other meditation, for times when I’m stuck on the train or walking somewhere, is a loving-kindness meditation. Which I got from the first chapter of a book called A Path With Heart - by Jack Kornfield. The meditation is reportedly a 2,500 year old Buddhist meditation. It is as follows:

May I be filled with loving-kindness.
May I be well.
May I peaceful and at ease.
May I be happy.

I take one breath both inhale and exhale per two lines of the mediation. But work out what suits you. You can also imagine or visualise that you are, “a young and beloved child, or sense yourself as you are now, held in the heart of loving-kindness.” However change the images to ones that best suit you.

This I’ve found to be really calming and the reported effects are gradually affecting me. I am thinking about others more, which is good for me as I have become really selfish over the years and realised I was taking myself too seriously.

After you have used this sufficiently and the effects of the mediation have been felt you are then to expand upon this by sending loving-kindness to other people. Firstly starting with close friends and family and then even to your enemies. However, I am a fair way from that yet.

Anyone else had experiences with these?

All in all, I feel I am benefiting from the early days in my meditation by being much calmer, my mind is clearer, I feel more content and have a better awareness of my body. Wish I had dived in years ago. I didn’t used to enjoy facing aspects of myself when the mind was quiet, however as I’ve matured I enjoy these challenges. Also I have found that it is best not to struggle or fight or focus on unwanted thoughts but to observe them and return to the breath or whatever you are visualising on. The more you fight them the more you concentrate on them which is counterproductive.

I've also tried binaural beats and although they serve a purpose for putting me to sleep and in deep relaxation, I find them a bit artificial.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Trying Times

Robert Bruce is the man! I've only read Astral Dynamics, but i've watched some of his stuff on youtube aswell. Very laid back style with an Aussie slant that takes away some of the Eastern mysticism and puts it in a language us Westerners can understand better

I agree with you on the binaural beats.. tried them, they do work for me, but i didn't really feel comfortable using them.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I am aware that some people see what I am about to say as a cult but I will say my experience has not been that.

I studied the Dahn Yoga system. I have a lot of pain I my body as well as in my heart and mind and frankly the soul as well. I’m pretty messy.

The Dahn system has you start by some beating of your body (preparation phase) to some amazing tribal or sometimes Eastern Asian drum beats. You’ll make fists and sort of rap yourself on the stomach or colon or with open hands on the chest or head or back of neck. I have always needed radical and intense reactions for me to pay attention to what I am doing. You’ll work this for a given amount of time (a few minutes if you’re pressed for time or even a half hour). This is all to awaken and align the chakras. Then the meditation begins

You sit in Lotus (or half lotus if you are like me and your knees will break with a good swift wind) and there is often some flute music in low tones. You guide yourself through a process of peeling back the layers of your conscious until you get to your inner most fears or anxieties or imbalances for the sole purpose (at first) of discovering them. It’s intense and yet relaxing. I haven’t had many sessions with them that I didn’t end up crying at the end mostly because I could see the real me for once and not this wrapped up shell. I do not think they are a cult. What I DO think however is that they are horribly expensive and that part I just can’t do at this juncture. Also I fear their chain is eventually gonna become too commercial and it will start attracting people who want to do it because it is the ‘in-thing.’ If you do have the money however…

Dahn Yoga

With that said maybe I am just in the one location that ISN’T a cult :-p

Also I have had the pleasure of going through a friend and doing a spirit animal meditation. Essentially you are guided through very open-ended ideas until you come to realization and find what your spirit animal is. Funny note…I always thought a spirit animal had to be something wild and strong and fierce like a hawk or a bobcat or a bear.

I was a duck...

I loved it. It was peaceful and intense.

When I am in a quick pinch I will do the muscle tense-relax model.

Midway down the page…

Progressive

-Kyo

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Excellent! I didn't think I had many people's attention.

I have been listening to Alan Watts for a long time. He talked about it so much and even turned it into something more homely to me. I also listened to Shinzen Young The Science Of Enlightenment I haven't been able to listen to all of his audio tracks but its on my to do list. I downloaded a meditation package that has all kinds of material from www.isohunt.com and its extraordinary.

I can see how most of these meditations can be applied to real life. Not because I read them but through practice. The idea of a getaway to meditate for a prolonged period of time is an idea that fascinated me and I am hoping soon.

I also try to practice mindfulness in all moments. Recently I have tried Kundalini meditation and tonight I have had a very very beautiful blue'ish purple large feeling whelt up inside me that freed me from my mind and body. "I" wanted to grab it and go with it but sadly when it comes to enlightenment "I" get's left behind
. The feeling after aligning my Chakra's is what I describe as a cold white light that feels loving and tender and nurturing that resonates for about 5 minutes after I am done. Not to mention that since meditation my time has slowed right down!

I believe meditation is like melting the ego to the point where it no longer exists so I guess Im saying you are unifying yourself and gaining awareness of the ego but in most practices they say "just watch dont get involved" and in my experience that part goes away and leaves you with more awareness and more peace. The key to the benefits of meditation go with what works for you. So if you are stuck and not feeling like any progress is being made then try something new always be open.

There's too much to process when I think about this topic so if I left some stuff out I apologize.

Thanks for all the responses I will be reading through it all and reviewing all of your different methods.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I have my own, somewhat informal, means of meditating.

I sit or lay with eyes closed in a comfortable position, and intentionally imagine and visualize the Earth, myself on it, being very small, the Earth within the universe likewise being very small, and what we think the long journey of evolution life has taken to result in my being here has been. Somehow, imagining all of this triggers a sort of "mind blown" sensation that causes me to feel as though none of this is real - as though it is somehow an illusion, and I'm not really here. It's difficult to describe or explain, but that's what happens.

Once that occurs, it becomes very easy for me to expand my sense of consciousness beyond what feels like my physical body and become larger and interconnected with what is beyond me. Sometimes that manifests as imagery, sometimes feelings, and other times emotions. Sometimes all of the above.

After a while, I sort of dissociate from myself entirely and this reality seems completely alien and bizarre to me in contrast to just my consciousness existing independent of the physical.

That's as far as I've gotten thus far.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
The way i meditate, is by using self-hypnosis and meditation together.

So what i'll do is, i'll lay down, count from 1 to 10. (because i was previously hypnotised by a hypnotherapist that whenever i was in a safe place, such as in my bed, and i counted from 1 to 10 i would enter into hypnosis, so this wont work for anyone on here unless they have been hypnotised for this to happen too) Then, once i was in hypnosis i would start meditating, (I prefer to meditate by repeating a mantra i received from Amma, (know as "the hugging saint" i personally think she is probably the most enlightened person alive today)

Then, when i am ready to stop meditating i first bring myself out of hypnosis by count from 1 to 5 (as explained earlier, i am able to bring myself out of hypnosis by counting from 1 to 5 because i was previously hypnotised) then i open my eyes and go about my business, its a simple technique, yet very effective.

[edit on 29-6-2010 by orrite??]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I also do something very informal. I lay on my bed, close my eyes and just clear my mind. When a thought comes I just observe it and sometimes label it. I have also tried to find a focus point in my mind's eye.

Each meditation is different for me. There are times when I just feel completely relaxed-like I'm melting into the bed. There have been other times that stranger things have happened such as visuals and OBEs. It is fascinating to me.

Thanks for all the links. I will definitely check them out!

top topics

join