It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A New Clue to Explain Existence?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   

A New Clue to Explain Existence?

www.nytimes.com

Physicists at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory are reporting that they have discovered a new clue that could help unravel one of the biggest mysteries of cosmology: why the universe is composed of matter and not its evil-twin opposite, antimatter. If confirmed, the finding portends fundamental discoveries at the new Large Hadron Collider outside Geneva, as well as a possible explanation for our own existence.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   

the team, known as the DZero collaboration, found that the fireballs produced pairs of the particles known as muons, which are sort of fat electrons, slightly more often than they produced pairs of anti-muons. So the miniature universe inside the accelerator went from being neutral to being about 1 percent more matter than antimatter.

I don't exactly know enough about matter vs. antimatter to comment but this kind of discovery definetly shows how little humans know about the world we live in and science.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Wow. I've heard some theories about the matter/anti-matter imbalance but is this the first experimental evidence?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
This is really kind of strange. (..and I don't mean a strange particle...).
What really grabs my attention is this:

"So the miniature universe inside the accelerator went from being neutral to being about 1 percent more matter than antimatter."

What is this miniature universe? I had thought I read about micro universes being made in Japan but have not been able to find anything since.

"...50 times higher than the standard model..." That is quite signifigant. A new theorie(s) is in the offing and we just happen to have an LHC to test it.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by liquidself

Isn't the whole particle accelerator thing where this mini-universe being created? I had thought that that was the only experiment of its kind world wide...

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

why the universe is composed of matter
and not its evil-twin opposite, antimatter.

Meanwhile, in our counterpart universe, scientists have discovered why their universe is composed of normal, healthy anti-matter and not evil, destructive matter.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I was beggining to wonder when LHC talks would sprout up again. Now that the black hole devouring the earth scare is more or less gone, we can get on with other spatial anamollies like how does someone just create a universe? Wouldn't that in itself just show how our universe was made? Hell, for all we know, we just made our own universe.

It's all quite strange and unusual, just how I enjoy my "matter-filled life".

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Xilvius

What are LHCs?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Portugoal
reply to post by Xilvius

What are LHCs?

Large Hadron Colliders

edited to add, things that allow them to smash particles into other particles at extreme speeds to see what happens

[edit on 18-5-2010 by expatwhite]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by expatwhite

Is that not the same as a particle accelerator?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Yes.

Whats really crazy to think, is what are the time scales in those mini universes? What if its billions and billions or years before they go out, but to us its miliseconds. But then you go into "Well what if we are just created from a partical accelerator....."

So the real question is When will they tell us why it is the way it is???

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

reply to post by liquidself

Isn't the whole particle accelerator thing where this mini-universe being created? I had thought that that was the only experiment of its kind world wide...

good questions. I m not sure what the answers are. I think I know where I got derailed - they are replicating the conditions present at the big bang i.e. high energy matrices involving alternation of current properties of natural law due to symmetry re-integration of the the 4 major forces. I was thinking in terms of actual universe though the distinction could be redundant - I don't know. Basically colliders are just that - they bash particles together at near lilght speeds and see what happens, just like in the Adams family where Gomez crashes trains together just to see what happens

here is a link for the LHC i believe

big bang replication

I dont think the replication of big bang conditions is unique to the OP experiment.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Leave it to humanity to struggle to find proof of something that there is no real proof to be found of, yet exists all the same. The answers they seek can be discovered much more efficiently through open minds and psychadelic drugs, but once again the potential discoveries of inner space are ignored so we can "learn" results from a giant machine of our own creation. Instead of just accepting our environment as it is and exploring from there, we must create machines that simulate, ultimately giving us the results we desire over the reality of what really is. Are we creating a new reality?

That's all I gotta say, lol

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Well isn't one of humanity's greatest questions, "How did we get here?" That is the point of one of these experiments.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Actually it shows how much we know. No offense, but your own comment confirms your ignorance. I don't want to be a douche bag though. because as Feynman put it, "nobody understands quantum physics".

That said, all this article proves is that we are crawling into the last crevices of the unknown in the physical universe.

It's really cool. I bet we're the only species out there who spends our entire existence learning about the things we see rather than devoting our energies to building craft that can go out and find out for sure. We'll probably go to space eventually, and find out that we are the most knowing in the universe, but the youngest. Maybe we can trade information for technology.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi
Leave it to humanity to struggle to find proof of something that there is no real proof to be found of, yet exists all the same. The answers they seek can be discovered much more efficiently through open minds and psychadelic drugs, but once again the potential discoveries of inner space are ignored so we can "learn" results from a giant machine of our own creation. Instead of just accepting our environment as it is and exploring from there, we must create machines that simulate, ultimately giving us the results we desire over the reality of what really is. Are we creating a new reality?

That's all I gotta say, lol

Bravely spoken and true. It would save so many resources and so much money if the scientists would just explore the universal mind for their answers. They are still so primitive in their ways and in their thinking.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Visitor2012

It would save so many resources and so much money if the
scientists would just explore the universal mind for their answers.

Isn't that what they're doing? How does using resources and money make it otherwise?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by expatwhite

reply to post by Xilvius

What are LHCs?

Large Hadron Colliders

edited to add, things that allow them to smash particles into other particles at extreme speeds to see what happens

[edit on 18-5-2010 by expatwhite]

There is only one LHC.
They usually collide Protons and Antiprotons.
But they can also be used to collide electrons and positrons.

What happens is to collide particles, you have to acheive a non zero distance between them, and that is why high speeds are reqd.
The results are different all the time, so they have to sift thru the results to pinpoint what they are looking for

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket

why the universe is composed of matter
and not its evil-twin opposite, antimatter.

Meanwhile, in our counterpart universe, scientists have discovered why their universe is composed of normal, healthy anti-matter and not evil, destructive matter.

You want a mind fu/ck?

Why would the people in the counterpart universe call anti-matter anti-matter and matter matter. For them, anti-matter is matter. Matter is anti-matter.

Anyways, enjoy!

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket
reply to post by Visitor2012

It would save so many resources and so much money if the
scientists would just explore the universal mind for their answers.

Isn't that what they're doing? How does using resources and money make it otherwise?

The science process is backwards. Humanity has adopted science as the explaination for everything, with the true definition of science as having the ability to understand something well enough to recreate it synthetically. No matter what we do under science, it will only be considered real if it is a result that we understand and can reproduce.

My basic point is that there is so much more out there that so obviously exists that we can explore and possibly use WITHOUT ever understanding it exactly. This will be the new era of human discovery, when we finally start to explore what can never be understood (ie slipspace transportation).

top topics

join