It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fishless Ocean by 2050, UN Warns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   

The world faces the nightmare possibility of fishless oceans by 2050 without fundamental restructuring of the fishing industry, UN experts said Monday.

"If the various estimates we have received... come true, then we are in the situation where 40 years down the line we, effectively, are out of fish," Pavan Sukhdev, head of the UN Environment Program's green economy initiative, told journalists in New York.

A Green Economy report due later this year by UNEP and outside experts argues this disaster can be avoided if subsidies to fishing fleets are slashed and fish are given protected zones -- ultimately resulting in a thriving industry.

The report, which was opened to preview Monday, also assesses how surging global demand in other key areas including energy and fresh water can be met while preventing ecological destruction around the planet.

UNEP director Achim Steiner said the world was "drawing down to the very capital" on which it relies.

rawstory.com...

This is definitely not good news and to be honest if it is true it does not surprise me.
I think that the human race' demise will be through a global war or the complete destruction of our ecosystems due to domino effects.

Greed seems to rule nowadays even if it means exploiting and killing anything that stands in the way of making money.

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by Duzey]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
i think its alittle truth and possibility mixed with globalist terrorism...

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

I had the thought that this could just be a ruse to further some sort of agenda but from what I have observed and researched there are major problems with the way we farm the oceans. I guess time will tell.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Don't forget the ~2-3 Billion tons of plastic floating in the Pacific and Atlantic Super Cycles...

UK beaches swamped by plastic litter, say campaigners
news.bbc.co.uk...

"Plastic Soup" Found in Atlantic Ocean
www.cbsnews.com...

Ocean debris turning Hawaiian beach 'into plastic'
BBC News - Ocean debris turning Hawaiian beach 'into plastic'

Boat made of plastic bottles sets sail across Pacific
news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 5/17/2010 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

The amount of plastic in the oceans is astounding to say the least.

People are so upset about the oil spill that is going on but they don't even think about all of THEIR trash that is sitting out in the oceans.

Preservation isn't our best attribute.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Where is the UN???

What purpose do they serve???

Everything they do is bogus and is about an agenda...why don't they send some ships out to collect this floating plastic??? They get plenty of money from real countries that make things...things of value. I'm tired of the UN fear mongering, as they simultaneously sit on the sidelines and do NOTHING.

I prayer for a UN-less planet by 2050.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TV_Nation
reply to post by Hx3_1963

The amount of plastic in the oceans is astounding to say the least.

People are so upset about the oil spill that is going on but they don't even think about all of THEIR trash that is sitting out in the oceans.

Preservation isn't our best attribute.

Kudos for the most cogent and timely remark of the day. Folks are outraged at BP's ongoing ecological disaster but they fail to recognize how all that plastic that they casually threw out of their cars has wound up floating in the ocean and how many creatures it is killing. Good work!

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Yep, a combination of overfishing and ocean acidification via carbon emissions. You people still feel cozy about dumping all this carbon into the atmosphere

Hey, at least there will still be some minnows here and there.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Is this the same UN that insisted (without credible evidence) that there would be no Himalayan glaciers by 2035? Or, that 50% of arable land in Africa would be gone by 2020?

If anybody cared to check facts, they would learn that the "plastic super cycles" are almost entirely composed of miniscule degraded bits of flotsam that have not been proven to have any significant effect on biosystems.

As for trash on the beach, that's just filthy habits. We can fix that very easily; when was the last time you took a drink from a plastic container? (Go look in your 'fridge or trash cans.)

Don't use them, and you solve half the ecological problem of plastic waste.

jw

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
it takes big fish to make little fish if you eat every last one of the big fish were are the little fish going to come from.simple math people
I have know for 20 years this was comming its a race to see what we kill our selfs with first . economy crashes all out war . ding scratch humans
we eat up all our fish a billion are starving all out war ding scratch humans.
we use up all our energy people are screaming for there v8s ding all our war scratch humans we use up the fresh water faster then it can be replenished people want more now ding all out war scratch the human race.
lastly the planet warms up buy 5 degrees we now go to the beach an extra week a year the economy improves the oceans come up 20 feet over the next 100 years again the economy improves as we move whole city's inland to avoid the rising waters .
life is great no more cold winters we can grow more food feeding people easier cheaper use less energy no heating needed again saving money .and power life is good for the next ten k years ding the human race lives on .
go green house
well i dont know about you but my vote goes to heating the planet tahts the only one were we LIVE

top topics

join