It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Czar Wants Mandatory Government Propaganda On Political Websites

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Do I really need to type out my opinion on this?

If it does happen, one simple solution would be offshore server hosting. If the server isn't American-based, the content isn't subject to American law.

If the content is deemed illegal in the country you're accessing it from, you can be prosecuted, but the country you're accessing it from is powerless to remove or in any way adulterate the content.

I don't see them going so far as to make accessing the type of material in question illegal, but I wouldn't put it past them.

Definitely an issue to keep an eye on; thanks to all involved for bringing it to light.

TheAssoc.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by TheAssociate]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by links234

Nothing wrong at all with having access to both sides of an issue.

The problem is when government forces one to provide certain content.

If someone wants to hear both sides of an issue or a story, there are countless resources for them to seek it out.

It is a Constitutional issue when governments dictates what content one must provide.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by links234
reply to post by Vinveezy

Promoting information and expanding debate is taking away the freedom of speech and press? How about allowing it to happen is encouraging the freedom of ignorance? Completly anti-thema to the concept of ATS.

Spoken just the way Mark Gerzon or Cass Sunstein himself would have said it.
Thanks, but no thanks.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Victoria Espinel, Obama's appointed "IP Czar" sets forth a bunch of equally draconian predictions for the Internet, all in the name of protecting copyright laws (read: inflating profits for the RIAA/MPAA).

Thanks to the recent PRO-IP Act, the US has for the first time has an “Intellectual Property Enforcement Coordinator” responsible for pulling together all the resources of the federal government. What should the IPEC be doing with her time and resources? The “core content industries” have an answer: she should turn the online world from a “thieves’ bazaar to a safe and well-lit marketplace” by encouraging network admins to deploy bandwidth shaping, site blocking, traffic filters, watermark detectors, and deep packet inspection.

www.mashtechworld.com...

Espinel made it clear that her job is not to do as the Constitution requires, and make sure that intellectual property laws are properly "promoting the progress of arts and the useful sciences" (she never mentions this part), but, instead she claims her focus is cracking down on infringement to protect jobs:

Then, on being questioned she appeared to support Hollywood's position that any net neutrality laws won't apply to mandating content filters on ISPs. It's looking like -- just as was initially feared -- this position is really to get Hollywood's own representative in the White House.

www.techdirt.com...

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Chance321

Sadly, they may not have been AS bad, but they did it with Bush, too.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Kudos for using your rights of free speech unlike some are unwilling to do unfortunately.

In reality, one voice can't make much of a difference - unless they are talking to the right people that is. What we really need to do is form a large group of people who are willing to devote their free time into bombarding these types of people who are trying to (and some succeeding) take away our rights, and also protrude against our free will and take over our minds (to be frank).

Political agendas are taking more effect these days because of how media is spread with technology. The fact that once a "breaking story" hits the news can be sent to a cell phone and alert the person who owns it makes it that much easier for them to get propaganda straight to their minds without even hearing the truth or at least an argument against whatever is being said to them.

This is very sad that's all I left to say right now

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Newbomb Turk

First, hello ATS
Long time lurker and first time posting.

Myself after number of years closely observing the worldwide circus, I think you are dead on correct. Their "plan" is not failing, its all falling into place.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I read a very disturbing article some time ago about Obama wanting to start a "Department of Truth(iness)", with the purpose of "getting rid of the lies and conspiracy theories" by means of social networking (amongst others). In other words, organized infiltration and manipulation of sites like ATS, Youtube, Facebook, etc etc. I'll try to find the link again, wanted to post it here but i had too little posts back then to make a thread.

Edit:

www.theregister.co.uk...

[edit on 18-5-2010 by Romekje]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Vinveezy

This sucks. The subject not the thread.

Star and FLAG.

Thanks Vinveezy and Protoplasmic Traveler for getting this out there!

Anyone want to start a pool? When will this totalitarian regime cancel the fall elections?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Now is the time to start gathering up people we wish to stay in contact with so that information can continue to be shared. And like someone else mentioned, in the days before the internet people managed to get their opposing views out there via in person group meetings, publishing papers or pamphlets, and ..... organizing.

If they wanted to shut down ATS today, they would, and they could.

Should something like this happen, this will hopefully motivate the masses to get off their behind and start taking action.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
To be honest i'm afraid it HAS to happen to get the wanted result.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Promoting information and expanding debate is taking away the freedom of speech and press? How about allowing it to happen is encouraging the freedom of ignorance? Completly anti-thema to the concept of ATS.

No no. There is nothing wrong at all with looking at both sides of the coin. But to implement mandatory opposing viewpoints from the government is basically babysitting the country and treating it's citizens as if they need to be schooled on their "truth".

If the government wishes to do this, then they can get their own dot com and set up for business.

As is, ATS most usually looks at both sides of the coin without being TOLD to do so by the man.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
It is quite obvious that ATS political forums have already been plugged with Sunstein and Alinsky storm troopers as of late. Argument tactics have been peeled straight from Alinsky's works. There is No room in these arrogant and cocky minds for rationale and civil discourse. Every issue is Black or White with no chance of Gray and arguments center on issues of semantics rather than fact.

I won't touch on the glaring double standards... This is all just my opinion of course.

I've been on here since before the election in 2008 and the political discourse and divide is presently at its greatest. Several good members have been banned because they fell for incessant baiting, trolling, and derailing that occurs on a daily basis.

That being said, I can clearly see the days when sites like ATS will simply be a thing of the past.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
This will never take place in my view, The internet is world wide number

and!!!!

next year is 2011 , when people start to think about elections for 2012.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by AndersonLee]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
LoL! This sounds like someone is spreading disinformation. Because in order to kill my freedom of speech they would have to take away peoples 2nd Amendment rights. Yes 2nd because you need to take that one to take any of the rest. As long as I don’t point my finger at any specific person with wild claims or misrepresent facts, I can spread my opinion freely. Plus our Gumment is big but I don’t think they could corral the internets, intarwebs either. Of course this is all just my opinion, I may be wrong but I really don’t think so.

The 2nd Amendment to the Constitution is one of ten Bill of

Rights. Do you really believe this administration abides by The

Constitution? Even though the 2nd Amendment is written does not

mean they will abide and follow to the T what is written.

Never ever underestimate this administration because when you think

the unthinkable of what they can do to the people it then becomes

reality. ^Y^

[edit on 18-5-2010 by amari]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by links234

lol so what ur saying is that you can not prove it is a good or just law-it just is?

(the Constution) can't be interpreted in any other way than your own. well in this case it is really oblivious man. the Gov't can not mess with the media. plane and simple.

and as far as the Constitution not needing to be changed all I can say is if it ant broken don't fix it..

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by highlyoriginal
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Kudos for using your rights of free speech unlike some are unwilling to do unfortunately.

In reality, one voice can't make much of a difference - unless they are talking to the right people that is. What we really need to do is form a large group of people who are willing to devote their free time into bombarding these types of people who are trying to (and some succeeding) take away our rights, and also protrude against our free will and take over our minds (to be frank).

Political agendas are taking more effect these days because of how media is spread with technology. The fact that once a "breaking story" hits the news can be sent to a cell phone and alert the person who owns it makes it that much easier for them to get propaganda straight to their minds without even hearing the truth or at least an argument against whatever is being said to them.

This is very sad that's all I left to say right now

The key in talking to these people, is to do just that. Talk and don't shout, be civilized about it, and don't engage them in a way that just gives them cause to discredit you and what you are promoting.

Tea Parties are great, but when you are burning efigies it becomes all too easy for people to discredit you, based on the very fear factor you help them conjure up.

When you engage them in high quality discourse, complete with well thought out probing questions on their position, and make it an interactive presentation, by putting your contentions to them in the form of presented information followed up by questions, on how they then would interpret the same information it gets a lot harder for them to disagree with you.

This is how I have deprogrammed 5 census workers to date, I explain to them the history of the census, how it come to be, the history of the nation, the history of the banking system, the legalese of the words the census employs, all the while asking them at each step, well what does that sound like to you? What do you think all that means, now that you know more?

They put away their clip boards in shame and go home thanking me for taking the time to educate them on things they never knew about.

I do it in a cheerful, jovial, polite, and non-threatening manner, where I turn it into an informative discussion and not a tirade or lecture and I let them participate in the process the same way a school teacher would.

It is my belief that the bottom rungs of the government, about 9/10ths of the people who work for it, actually have no idea what they are really doing for the government or why, but just like the rest of us are out to collect a paycheck.

Everything changes with real communication, and this is what Sunstein and his ilk are really frightened of, the Internet is better educating us to communicate, outside of the control of the government controlled educational system and medias.

The pen is mightier than the sword and trust me when I say, they would much rather take away the internet from us than our guns.

Thanks my friend.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I haven't posted as much recently on these forums because of news like this. I've mostly been lurking and just shaking my head, thinking "man, this is just getting crazier and crazier". Sometimes I feel like I'm trapped in a bad dream.

I hate that people call Obama and others that conspire with him "liberals". The base of that word is "Liberty" and it seems that very much of what these guys do has very little to do with any notion of Liberty.

Obama is not a liberal. His Czars are not liberal. His Congress is not liberal. They are nothing more than Corporate Establishment Demagogues.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vinveezy

Obama Czar Wants Mandatory Government Propaganda On Political Websites

www.prisonplanet.com

Disturbing audio has emerged of White House information czar Cass Sunstein, who in a previous white paper called for banning “conspiracy theories,” demanding that websites be mandated by law to link to opposing information or that pop ups containing government propaganda be forcibly included on political blogs.

In an audio excerpt of an interview which was posted on the Breitbart.tv website today, Sunstein discusses how conservative websites should provide links to liberal websites and vice versa or even how political blogs should be made to include pop ups that show “a quick argument
(visit the link for the full news article)

I read the white paper...please link where he "Demanded" that websites be "Mandated by law to link to opposing information" and that conspiracy theories be banned?

The paper had issues, but it was an opinion piece and it never suggested mandating objective thinking or balanced views. Freedom of speech is supposed to take care of that.

Thus my posting this response. get it?

As far as offering opposing views or fact checking both Liberal and Conservative BS...I can see how that "idea"...not mandate or law...might be offensive to you. It's called honesty.

I think it is a great idea and encapsulates what we do here on a daily basis...weed out the BS. If only more information sources (I have a hard time calling them "news") actually felt obligated to tell people the truth rather than spin, division, and lies.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by maybereal11]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

Yeaah the real problem is the government trying to mandate ANYTHING having to do with news, ideas, opinion, information, or anything of the sort! It's WAY WAY WAY out of the scope of their powers. GET IT?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join