It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ten Overlooked Mysteries in History

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Disappearance of the Indus Valley Civilization

"They were a hygienically advanced culture with a highly sophisticated sewage drainage system, and immaculately constructed baths. There is to date no archaeological evidence of armies....."

Sounds like the whole place was run by a bunch of effete sissy boys more concerned with how their hair smelled than preparing for war against rival tribes. That kind of attitude if fine until your neighbors realize you are easy pickens. There is a lesson in here for you gun-control types.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

golden disc found

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Scope and a Beam

PBS's Scientific American Frontiers did a segment on these mummies back in the 90s that was really good. If you live in a decent-sized city you might even be able to find it at your local library. I have no idea what the name of the episode was, but it would have aired sometime in 1999 or 2000.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by yinyang1212

Please elaborate on the golden disk or translate it.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by starviego

Um, okay...so a real man craps in the yard and never bathes then I guess you are saying?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Nicely done.

I might also add that we should be mindful of our scriptures and all of our ancient texts. History as it seems has been doctored by whom and for what reasons I do not know. There are many ancient books that talk about a variety of things like ancient cities. Gods coming to earth. Knowledge of cataclysmic cosmic event's, in our ancient writings. Many topics.

So I would rule out the possibility that maybe these ancient people were as advanced as we were maybe even more. There's even some very faint evidence to suggest that we were once an enlightened race.

There's talk that woman were our leaders for obvious reasons I support that finding.

"No woman could or would ever f**k things up this bad" - George Carlin, Taken out of context to support the status quo.

Thank you for your time.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   

I never heard about the Rongorongo, I will definitely check it out. I've heard about the manuscript, and it has baffled people for centuries. Who knows, maybe it was done in code like that because of what was going on in europe at the time, the inquisition. Also the Minoans where a very enlightened people from the stuff I read. I don't know if you know this, but if the Minoans stayed in existance, western culture may have been based instead of on Greek traditions but Minoan.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
S&F
Great thread, thanks.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scope and a Beam

1. Disappearance of the Indus Valley Civilization

The ancient Indus Valley people, India’s oldest known civilization had a culture that stretched from Western India to Afghanistan and a populace of over 5 million. le—India’s oldest known civilization—were an impressive and apparently sanitary bronze-age bunch. The scale of their baffling and abrupt collapse rivals that of the great Mayan decline. They were a hygienically advanced culture with a highly sophisticated sewage drainage system, and immaculately constructed baths. There is to date no archaeological evidence of armies, slaves, conflicts, or other aspects of ancient societies. No one knows where this civilization went.

Though the causes of its decline are not absolutely certain, the physical existence of the Indus Valley civilization ended due to various factors, some of which were:

# Ecological changes leading to the decline of land and agriculture, thereby forcing the need to evacuate to other areas.

# Shifts in the monsoon pattern and changes in temperature led to the area becoming more arid which resulted in mass migration.

# Increase in population, excessive deforestation, decline in agriculture etc. might have created economic problems leading to the gradual decay of the culture.

# The changes in the river flow patterns disrupting the agricultural base leading to lateral migration.

# The invasion of the Aryans is one of the reasons leading to the decline of the Indus valley civilization.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by djmolecular
Awesome thread OP. I love this kind of stuff. I read an old book with alot of these in it before with great detail. Forgot the name though. It had other mysteries like Oak Island , AKA "Money Pit" which really intrigued me. Regardless of what really is there at the island its still a good read and investigative temptress.

I agree that Oak Island is a great mystery, and it has just gotten bigger.

A Norwegian former Free Mason of the seventh grade has decoded hidden messages in Shakespeare's first folio and the sonnetes, that connects his works with Sir Francis Bacon, the Free Masons and the Rosicrucians. His code lead him to believe that a great treasure was hidden somewhere, and hidden in the stars he found a map, leading him to Oak Island. He was allowed to dig at two spots, and actually came across two new points in the Oak Island cross. He believes to know where he will find the real treasure, but the land owner is not willing to talk to him.

Please check out his Facebook page, the English version of the documentary is on it's way. He has also written a great book called "The Organist" where he shows you how he discovered the code.

The Shakespeare Treasure - Sweet Swan of Avon

He has found evidence that Bacon's Solomon's House from The New Atlantis is linked to Oak Island, and even the New Temple of God.

OP: Star and flag for a great thread, keep spreading awareness

Peace and love.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Love threads such as these, nicely done
I very much enjoyed your previous thread similar to this one as well.

Thanks for posting!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Great post. I think the discovery of the bog people is especially fascnating. I know decomposition and mumification can change facial expressions to one of terror, but the Bog man shown looks very much at peace. A lot more so than most of the modern funerals I've been to. It's been a long time since I've seen the Easter island "script". Looking at the icons, it seems to me that each one might be a word, made up of features of a larger "alphabet". Fascinating!!!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TheNorthernLight

Wow that is very interesting indeed. Last i heard they were giving up on Oak Island and tryin to turn it into a tourist attraction.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
As regard to the TARIM BASIN I think that it used to be a large fresh water lake during and after the last Ice Age. It probably continued to be thus until even a mere one thousand years ago. I believe that the TARIM MUMMIES are probably a tribe of SKYTHIANS who began in Russia but migrated west all over Europe creating Scottish and Irish settlements here in the UK. They also migrated east too and thus became the people of the Tarim Basin until it dried up and they died out. Russia and China have a common border so I do not find it to be so strange if some persons of European type are found in China. There are also the AINU of northern Japan in Hokkaido and Sakhalin and Kamchatka. The Russian presence in Siberia and Manchuria is not just a modern phenomenon. Remember that the Czars of Russia were very wealthy from having collected so many Siberian YAKUT diamonds. I am told that the military warlord of the Mongol Empire called Ghenghis Khan, meaning the supreme leader, was having white skin and blond hair and blue eyes. A Skythian similar to anyone found in Sweden to this day ? People have a great many preconceptions about the Chinese in that they cannot imagine a Chinese person having blond or fair and light brown or red hair. However some Chinese do have these exotic hair colours as well as green or blue eyes too. White skin is very common in the Chinese far east too. So if we cast away our preconceptions we realize that the Tarim Mummies are not really that strange.

[edit on 19/5/2010 by CAELENIUM]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by fizzy1

This is what i love about ats and the people on here. Just when you think its all crap someone comes along and posts a good thread.

Exactly!

Fantastic thread!

Loved every minute of it!

peace and THANK YOU

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowfoot

The Shawnee Indians of Ohio and surrounding area considered Kentucky (Can Tuc Kee) a holy hunting ground not to be lived on as recompense for their great sin (if you will) of slaughtering a race of light haired blue eyed people that lived there hundreds of years earlier. This story was related to Simon Kenton in the 1790's. Kenton was a Frontiesmen contemporary of Daniel Boone, whose story is very well told by Eckhart, in the Frontiersmen.

I have heard this mentioned occasionally in Southern folklore. Manly Wade Wellman mentioned them in some of his stories (and the novel 'After Dark'), calling them 'Shonokins'.

regarding the disappearance of the Indus; I'm told that climate variance and excessive agriculture caused the end of some Meso-American empires. part of the price of success is increased numbers (and a demand for a better lifestyle) which strains the local resources. one or two years of drought in an already borderline agriculture can be devastating.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by works4dhs]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Thanks for the good response everyone I'm glad you enjoyed the thread.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Totalstranger

Oh sit down will you, I found the list while browsing the net and thought "I'll share this on ATS as it seems pretty interesting and relevant" took me like 20 mins. So what if it came from Listverse? I put the thread together instead of just adding a link so the presentation looked good, I added the source, I never said this was my own work in fact I stated it wasn't so relax.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I can answer the one for Robin Hood if you like, the myth is actualy based on a medieval advertisement. Dyers guilds, in order to show of there fancy new dyes created a play where men in red[yes red, they originaly wore red not green] pranced around the forest in luxuriously exspensive red garments. That was about it really, and over time its all gotten abit out of hand really. Will dredge up a link if anyone is really that botherd. Not sure why its a mystery, quite common down our way lol.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   

1. Disappearance of the Indus Valley Civilization

There is to date no archaeological evidence of armies, slaves, conflicts, or other aspects of ancient societies. No one knows where this civilization went.

They were so clean that they didn't leave a trace, lol.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join