It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ten Overlooked Mysteries in History

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Thanks for the read. S+F

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Great thread!

I would like to add 'The Lima Holes' to the unsolved mysteries list.

While the world is generally familiar with Machu Picchu and the Nazca Lines, another mystery has come to light through the modern science of satellite photography. This phenomenon is one that was previously known but the extent of its size and effort required to make it is just being fully realized.

www.viewzone.com...

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Those holes forming a strip up the side of a mountain brought to mind the old computer punch cards used at the beginning of the computer era

The fact that some holes are up to 7 ft. deep while others nearby are shallow is interesting. I have no clue really what the purpose or original intent may have been.

Very interesting.

It is intriguing that our ancestors were not consumed in just trying to survive from one day to the next, but had some higher or loftier concern that was much bigger than that and obviously lots of time to attend to it.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
ancientx.com...
10 ancient artifacts

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Scope and a Beam

I've been reading alot of alchemy material lately. They say that Voynic Manuscript might hold the location for the Philosophers Stone and also holds some of the instructions to transmutation. What language could it possibly be written in that no one can understand it ya know?

edit to add- That you should also look up a guy named John Dee and his partner in crime Kelley, sheds some light on that manuscrpt a little bit

[edit on 18-5-2010 by agentofchaos]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Scope and a Beam

Some wonderful finds there..a few I was unfamiliar with. Here's one for you to investigate that has always puzzled me: The Shawnee Indians of Ohio and surrounding area considered Kentucky (Can Tuc Kee) a holy hunting ground not to be lived on as recompense for their great sin (if you will) of slaughtering a race of light haired blue eyed people that lived there hundreds of years earlier. This story was related to Simon Kenton in the 1790's. Kenton was a Frontiesmen contemporary of Daniel Boone, whose story is very well told by Eckhart, in the Frontiersmen.

Nice thread

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowfoot

Haha, sounds like Lief Ericson's clan met a nasty end at the hands of some savages.

In all seriousness, I've never heard that legend, and it's quite interesting. My family's been in the New World for hundreds of years, so I tend to find American mysteries more interesting than European ones. Google time.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
A guy called Steve Ekwall, in 2000, built a "folding key" to decypher the Voynich manuscripts. Thing is, he wasn't a language expert, or any kind of researcher into anything that these manuscripts could cover. He was apparently "possessed" by something which wanted to show him how to do it.

Here's a webpage, which is a copy (apparently) of Steve Ekwells website
www.nickpelling.com...

from www.ciphermysteries.com...

Here's a quick youtube about him

Here's part 1 of 3 from a talk by Terrence McKenna about them too, he goes quite indepth into some possible origins of the manuscripts.

[edit on 18/5/2010 by Acidtastic]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Sweet
Some historic mysteries I haven't come across before! Lost Roman legion? The holes in the side of a mountain. Man now I got a whole bunch of new topics to research

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Awesome thread OP. I love this kind of stuff. I read an old book with alot of these in it before with great detail. Forgot the name though. It had other mysteries like Oak Island , AKA "Money Pit" which really intrigued me. Regardless of what really is there at the island its still a good read and investigative temptress.

Thanks again OP

[edit on 18-5-2010 by djmolecular]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Sample hits:
www.equinox-project.com...

Then came Dr. H. B. "Barry" Fell, a Harvard scholar with an avocation for ancient writings. To his credit he solved the riddle of the Phaistos disk, determined that the Etruscan language was related to and decipherable by using Hittite and found the secrets in the Rongo-rongo tablets of Rapa Nui (Easter Island). He was this centuries greatest linguist.

www.epigraphy.org...

Deciphering the Easter Island Tablets Part 6: Powers of the Tohunga (10 pp) Barry Fell 21-p 41 The author completes his series on the decipherment of the Rongorongo inscriptions.

It would be ignorant of them to destroy their text as Fell found
America Indian prayer sticks were the "Kyrie eleison" (Lord have mercy)
inscribed. However years too late.

Some how the far reaching peoples of the world arrived before
Columbus back in Roman times or before and forgot how the got there.
The same with Easter Island.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

NICE

Muzzle.

Trace the "Long Ears"

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Great thread.

Can I add No 11 to your list? The vitrified forts of Scotland. Ancient atomic warfare?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
This is one of the best threads I have read in a while. Some fascinating finds here!!!! There is so much to learn yet about our ancient peoples and places.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by Night Star]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by jammer2012
reply to post by SLAYER69

The Tarim Mummies aired on National Geographic a few years ago...I think this is the one your talking about.

Yes exactly.
I'm glad somebody is aware of the situation

Thanks for posting the similar video. It's not what I was talking about but hopefully it will stir attention.

PEACE
Slay

[edit on 18-5-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Just some thinking about the Voynich manuscript is a thing like Codex Seraphinianus? A fictive language and content? I know that the Codex is a lot younger than the Voynich but it could be a "ripoff" just to gain some popularity?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by pondrthis

Ya know thats exactly what I always felt...Lief Ericksons outpost began following the coast south as weather continued to worsen...I figure around North Carolina they took a westward trail as the latitude becomes far more tolerable.

Based on the Land Grabbing that the colonists engaged in over Kentucky's natural resources ie: Bat Guano etc.. for gunpowder manufacturing(boone and Kenton did plenty of this) Great Salt Licks and ridiculously fertal soils and grasslands for growing as well as grazing. I can imagine a rough and tumble band of Vikings trying to survive may well have found their way there for a last ditch at living.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I made a thread similar to this quite a while ago and got very little response and if I remember correctly some negative response as some deemed the subject unworthy of discussion.

You can find my previous thread here

Resentedhalo08.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by Resentedhalo08]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
what a joke. another ATS thread lifted wholesale from Listverse. and its one of the top threads too.

my advice to anyone looking to become a valuable contributing member? go to Listverse and steal one of their lists outright.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Did you know that Rongorongo from Easter Island is almost identical to the written language of the ancient Indus valley script?

www.ancient-wisdom.co.uk...

Check out that link. It shows side by side comparisons.

Somehow they are directly related.

If those scripts are actual representations of each societies written language, it's definitely a match. That's kinda surprising to say the least.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join