It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ten Overlooked Mysteries in History

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Nice post. Parts of the Voynich manuscript have been translated. Do a search in ATS.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

The Tarim Mummies aired on National Geographic a few years ago...I think this is the one your talking about.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Great post! I was looking at the Minoans & Thera last night because I was wondering if there was a risk that the erupting volcano in Iceland could collapse the same way Santorini did. The speculation I was reading said that what took them out was the resulting tidal waves & that their elites were up in the higher elevations & are thought to have survived.

The bog people, I think, were supposedly preserved because of the high tannin content in peat bogs.

I wonder why Petra didn't make the list.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
If you read the Rig Veda it describes some kind of nuclear war ,scientists have found that in the city of Mohenjo Daro in India the skeletons have an abnormaly large amount of radioactivity in the bones ,and some are laid down still holding hands

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
regarding the Voynich manuscript, you might try

www.edithsherwood.com...

the author is believed to have been Leonardo da Vinci. maybe, over time, some of the rest will be solved, too?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
awesome history lesson - well done.

S&F

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Anyone else seem to see a trend that major civilizations all seem to get wiped out mysteriously ... the amount of times i researched these kind of subject the inevitable ending seems to be "then they disappeared and we don't know why"

hmmm i may have to go ponder this

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Threads like this one are the only reason I keep coming back here on a daily basis.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I didn't realize that we didn't know why the Indus Valley Civilization faded. I had heard the "nuclear war" theories but didn't pay much attention. Another theory is climate change, but their doesn't seem to be evidence to back that theory up. It does seem rather odd that such an advanced civilization would just whimper away for no apparent reason.

From the little I have read about them, they seem a very well developed society, especially for their era. Sound very similar to the Minoans, as they seem technologically superior to the other civilizations in the area.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Nice cut and paste job.

MessOnTheFED!

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
I always thought the Indus valley people colonized Egypt.

Not likely, but I suppose it's possible.

The earlies human (H. Sapiens) artifacts found in Egypt predate the earliest occupation of the Indian Subcontinent ( again, H. Sapiens) by 40K years or so.
(Egypt - 120,000 YBP, India - 75,000 YBP)

Originally posted by hadriana
There's so many similarities in art, culture, and religion.

The Egyptians developed writing at about the same time as the Indus Civ., however, and their writing is completely different than that of the Indus Valley Civ.

Harte

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Funny that two of your mysteries are deeply connected.

Did you know that Rongorongo from Easter Island is almost identical to the written language of the ancient Indus valley script?

www.ancient-wisdom.co.uk...

Check out that link. It shows side by side comparisons.

Somehow they are directly related.

Here is a thread I made some time back discussing the direct connections between Indus Valley, Easter Island, Polynesia, and Central American civilizations of pre-history. Also I talk about how Japanese settled in North America, and how Africans settled in South America long before what has previously been believed.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 18-5-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
another 'ancient mystery' which I really love is The Plain of Jars in Laos.
nobody quite knows what they are or why they're there, but there is ample evidence to suggest that they're burial jars.

still, several thousand huge stone jars, some dated as being thousands of years old, spread over a vast area of Northern Laos is very impressive.

Wikipedia entry - Plain of Jars

similarities with Stonehenge, and the other place already mentioned in north France.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
i have read about most of theses at one time or another. the roman legion is one that really fascinates me as this is the only second time i have come across this topic. thanks for posting it.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Long Lance

Thank you for bringing Edith Sherwood's work to my attention. The VM has always been one of my favorite enigmas.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
2000 year old mummies in China with European features.....Lost Roman Legion ended up in China!!!! Hmmmm. Do I need to join the dots!

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
The Voynich Manuscript is nowhere near understood. I looked this particular mystery up in detail a while back because it was referenced in a work of fiction I was reading.

The fact of the matter is, character frequency analysis HIGHLY undermines a substitution cipher of any kind, certainly not from a language with vowels. Even Wikipedia mentions this. People have been so confused by the manuscript that they've even considered the possibility that each letter contains a sentence or so of very small writing which curves around in the shape of the character.

I think the biggest mystery concerning the Voynich Manuscript isn't WHAT it says, but WHY it was written in that manner. It clearly was not written that way to communicate information. While this point supports the theory that it was a hoax created by Voynich, a bookseller, that theory is shattered by the chemical dating of the paper... leaving us at point zero, pondering one of Europe's historical mysteries.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by malcr

Thought about that too. But the mummies are somewhat 2000 years old, while the roman legion must have been 1500 years later at least.

Maybe some Hellenic or Achaian or skythic tribes, that got really far east

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Just like the Europeans destroyed the Rongorongo and the Mayan tablets. What's goes around comes around.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

The Africans who live in Africa built ancient Egypt, from Sudan and Ethiopia (nile). The Indians in India built the Kush valley. There is no mystery to ponder.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by TSawyer]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join