It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could soft drinks cause cancer?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Hello as I am sure many of you will read this I would like to say as it will interest many that this is not only the issue with drinks as it is also with food's.

Here is a quotation below;

After several trials, Cadbury-Schweppes' chemists determined that the
benzene was caused by a chemical reaction between the preservative sodium
benzoate and ascorbic acid (Vitamin C). The effect was found to be
especially prevalent in diet sodas, and shot up to even higher levels after
products were subjected to extremes of heat and light. According to the
documents, Cadbury-Schweppes' Diet Crush was found to contain benzene at 25
parts per billion (ppb) -- five times the acceptable EPA limit. After
exposure to 16 hours of ultraviolet light at temperatures around 30 C (86
F), that level jumped to a whopping 82 ppb. Diet Slice (made by Pepsi)
contained 1 ppb before exposure, and 41.5 ppb after exposure. Diet Minute
Maid (made by Coca-Cola) contained less than 0.5 ppb before exposure and 4.5
ppb afterwards, the documents say.

He goes by the name of Larry Alibrandi a well known "Industry Whistleblower" of his time and he should be given credit for his effort in exposing the undisclosed study at Cadbury-Schweppes in 1990 called Project Denver.

Here is a useful link regarding very interesting information on this matter www.organicconsumers.org...

Please add your comments and the more people who realise the crimes that these coporate businesses are committing due to profiteering purposes the better it is for more and more people who recognise and become aware and take action before we all become sufferers of these organisation and the hidden truths in today's society.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by DClairvoyant]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Hi, I'm sure they're not good for you. I read somewhere a while ago that drinks containing aspartame left in the heat would get a build up of formaldyhide. What the heck though, (she cracks open her tin of tango) there's something not nice in most stuff these days and it's hard to avoid them. It's all about money.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Well, colas definitely contribute to osteoporosis due to the phosphoric acid. I saw a metastudy somewhere that turned up some amazing correlations between cola consumption rate and osteoporosis rates.

While correlation doesn't equal causation, increasing phosphorus levels pulls calcium out of bone storage to be peed out. So swilling down huge amounts of phosphorus in the form of phosphoric acid strips bone calcium and discards it.

I don't drink cola, personally, except for the occasional mixer.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Hello again here is the original source of information from "The New York Times" www.alternet.org...

Soda has already been linked with weight gain and cavities; now the FDA admits that some popular soft drinks could contain a carcinogen. Will the fizz finally go flat?

For those who would like a definition of "Carcinogen" from Wikipedia, en.wikipedia.org...

Some more interesting information about Carcinogen effects to the human system and animals.

In some cases, substances that are helpful to man are also carcinogenic. Chlorine is one such carcinogen. Chlorine is helpful for disinfecting water for bathing, drinking, and swimming. At the same time, its byproducts are capable of causing a range of illnesses, including lung cancer.
from this link www.wisegeek.com...

Another quotation of Carcinogen here from this website link
scorecard.org...

Leukemia can result from chemically induced changes in bone marrow from exposure to benzene

"Benzene" en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I think that soft drinks are probably pretty benign. After all, if they weren't there would be a whole lot more people dropping dead from cancer than there are.

Besides, medical science is actually doing a pretty good job of fighting cancer, and some cancers, if you get them soon enough, are almost 100 percent beatable. At least the first time around. That second time will get you, though.

You know what really causes cancer? Living long lives. If we didn't live so long. If we were killed by predators or any of the other stuff that used to kill us off young, death by cancer would be a rarity. Blame cancer on living long enough for cell replication errors to creep in. And don't worry about Coca-Cola. It's fine.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Well, the phosphoric acid used to carbonate the drinks, has an effect on the bones. It actually strips them of calcium causing weaker and brittle bones, that are more likely to fracture. Osteoporosis is also another thing that has been recently linked to soft drinks.

Dont know why I still bother drinking them really, lol

Ooops, just noticed bedlam beat me to that point

[edit on 17/5/2010 by OzWeatherman]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Hey guys ...wanna see what colas do to you?

Take a small bowl, fill it with cola...place a small chicken bone into the cola and let sit for about 2-3 days. The bone breaksdown...yup.

Not to mention the interaction of phosphoric acid and sugars and chemicals on the inside of that aluminum can.

I think most all processed foods and drinks cause longterm problems, so I ingest them sparingly... it might kill me, but it is hard to beat an ice cold Coke with peanuts in it. Yummy

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Well, in addition to the phos acid issue, there's the "caramel coloring" thing they use to make the drinks dark brown.

IIRC, the same chemical has been investigated for use as an immunosuppressant in transplant patients.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Gatorade and other sports drinks also contain sodium
benzoate . I got an email a few months ago warning about this and have stopped buying it and letting my kids have it. I thought it was bad enough on its own, I never knew it was a combo of the Vit C that made it bad... or worse.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone
Take a small bowl, fill it with cola...place a small chicken bone into the cola and let sit for about 2-3 days. The bone breaksdown...yup.

Well, lucky for me, my bones aren't sitting out exposed in a bowl of cola. Try it with fresh squeezed orange juice, too. My guess is the same thing would happen.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Yeah, with all these chemicals around in our food, water, air, all designed to kill us, it's a miracle that we are living the longest lifespans in history.

It shouldn't be possible. Maybe proof there is a god looking out for us or something like that?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
The kids only get pop occasionally, but now its going to be none. Its hard to believe they actually ad ascorbic acid or vitamin c to them.

They were already bad enough, causing cancer is even worse, also, is c a really important ingredient in pop? Or is it added deliberately to make this reaction?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Thanks to corporate greed many companies keep consumers in the dark about the negative effects of their products! Talk about business ethics

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
Yeah, with all these chemicals around in our food, water, air, all designed to kill us, it's a miracle that we are living the longest lifespans in history.

It shouldn't be possible. Maybe proof there is a god looking out for us or something like that?

We are not alone, put it that way!

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
The kids only get pop occasionally, but now its going to be none. Its hard to believe they actually ad ascorbic acid or vitamin c to them.

They were already bad enough, causing cancer is even worse, also, is c a really important ingredient in pop? Or is it added deliberately to make this reaction?

Where I have highlighted the above letter "C"(Cancer) does it not make many wonder how not only the soft drinks, pharmaceutical crap that's added to our drinking water (Sodium Fluoride), preservatives, food colourings, additives, sweetners like Aspartame, wars & disease's like that of Alzheimer's, Leukemia etc etc That those in the KNOW and mainly Corporate Interest's I'm referring to here especially the likes of the Environmentalist's who would gladly walk away with $100,000's to keep a lid on FACTS that are categorized into sector's well-known as CONSPIRACY'S.

I'm only in my early twenties yet I seem to know a lot more going on than the "average joe" because I've always believed that theres something "iffy" going on and that's where my psi abilities come into it because I've always been known by co-workers, family, friend's etc for having really strong senses and can sense danger right under my skin. And its like a magnet when you get attracted to an area of information source that feels strong in a danger vibe then the curiousity sets in then I'm searching for it until I feel from within that I've found the TRUTH because our Soul's do not ever lie!

Here's a link to Aspartame www.sweetpoison.com...

Quote:

After more than twenty years of aspartame use, the number of its victims is rapidly piling up, and people are figuring out for themselves that aspartame is at the root of their health problems. Patients are teaching their doctors about this nutritional peril, and they are healing themselves with little to no support from traditional medicine.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by DClairvoyant]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

I cleaned my tub with Coke. It scared me how well it worked

new topics

top topics

join